Customer Service 866.965.0400

MSW not for professional detailers?

Brett LaCroix

Question

I am not a professional detailer... just doing research before using this on my car.

But how do professional detailers use a product that has a cure time of 12hrs?

Do you tell your customer to wait a day, then wipe down their own vehicle?

Do you keep their vehicle for 2 days to finish it?

Just curious...

:) Brett

15 answers to this question

I am not a professional detailer... just doing research before using this on my car.

But how do professional detailers use a product that has a cure time of 12hrs?

Do you tell your customer to wait a day, then wipe down their own vehicle?

Do you keep their vehicle for 2 days to finish it?

Just curious...

:) Brett

When I was still detailing for dollars it was either scenario really.

Some vehicles I had over the course of 2-3 days (trust me... when you prep something for contest judging or magazine features it takes at least that long) so it wasn't an issue.

For the 1 day turn arounds I would provide my customers with a 4oz detail spray, microfiber, and instructions on followup when they got home. But it was also rare people paying for detail work wanted a long lasting product, they preferred the slightly shorter durability with the better looks of Americana. They'd be back within 3-4 months for follow up or freshening anyways so having something like MSW wasn't a necessity and I used it primarily on wheels.

Also keep in mind that the secondary wipe down isn't always necessary. The additional hazing and clouding tends to only be visible on dark colors and even then its not always prevalent. The dryer and warmer it is when you do the application the less likely it will event take the full 12 hours. During the summer I can see MSW fully cure in less than 5-6.

I never noticed the hazing later on any of my applications either. I still did a DS wipe down, but that was just because I wanted to remove whatever little dust may have been on it before moving on to Americana or a 2nd coat of MSW.

I use MSW on my cars because of the longevity of it but after that I'll put several coats of Americana on it. So IMO a base of MSW and then several coats (over several months) of Americana is the best.

As a new mobile detailer I am going to use buttery in a basic detail package and Americana in my complete detail package...... When i use MSW it will be either on a complete paint restoration or a car club owners car and i will either have the car or *undisturbed* access to it for @ least two days.

MSW offers the best protection and will give you a decent shine. I'd just tell the people that they might have to wipe it down the next day or you're going to do the exterior one day and the interior the 2nd day.

If you dont want to have it for 2 days.... Get Americana

MSW offers the best protection and will give you a decent shine. I'd just tell the people that they might have to wipe it down the next day or you're going to do the exterior one day and the interior the 2nd day.

If you dont want to have it for 2 days.... Get Americana

can be very costly in gas and time for a mobile detailer to have to back track to re-touch cars and not very professional to have a customer do any part of work they paid u to do.

Which is why i will only offer it for my high-end detail where i will have the car for more then 24hrs. :lurk:

Which is why i will only offer it for my high-end detail where i will have the car for more then 24hrs. :lurk:

that's not a bad point. You're always best setting people's expectations and letting them know ahead of time that you need the car for 24 hours or whatever. A full correction/detail requires at least that much time anyway, so you could always do the exterior on day 1, put MSW on it at the end of the day, and then do the interior/trim/wipedown the next day. :2thumbs:

that's not a bad point. You're always best setting people's expectations and letting them know ahead of time that you need the car for 24 hours or whatever. A full correction/detail requires at least that much time anyway, so you could always do the exterior on day 1, put MSW on it at the end of the day, and then do the interior/trim/wipedown the next day. :2thumbs:

:iagree:

Archived