Customer Service 866.965.0400

Where did these color spots come from?

dumbmoran

Question

:help:

Hey Folks,

After using the hand polish kit from Adam's, which BTW I was very impressed with the results, these radiant rainbow color spots showed up when looking at the vehicle in the sun. It's like looking at a color prism, but without the lines, only the dots. The surface is very smooth, but was wondering if these probably are due from using other products in the past, such as Meguiars NXT, Blackfire Wet Diamond, Ultima and of course, was suckered into using those Zaino Polishes (They still swear to this day to only use 100% made in the U.S.A white cotton towels, which, unfortuately, is a thing of the past)

Maybe it was the application process or something else that went amiss at some point in time

I would also wash the vehicle with Dawn Soap to remover the prior application, and have clayed the car once in January.

I'm currenlty working with Dylan, the tech support represenattive at Adams, who by the way is an excellent guy, on setting up an appropriate kit that includes a Porter Cable polisher to remove these color spots as well as the swirl marks/spider webs left behind.

BTW, the vehicle is a 2010 Black Honda Pilot.

Any feedback would be appreciative, especially if you've incurred these spots on your vehicle at one time or another

All the best.

Edited by dumbmoran

I would say that is the sun reflecting off of your metallic paint, or the swirls are acting like a prism. Once you get the porter cable you will be able to get the swirls out and you will know for sure. If the spots are still there after swirl removal it is a reflection in your metallic paint if not it was the swirl prism thing. Of course these are my best guess, someone else may have a better answer.

Like I said in our original conversation David, the use of some of those products might explain the rainbow effect the specs seem to have. The same way a puddle with motor oil has a rainbow in it... some of the product lines you named include products that use petroleum based fillers... that might be whats causing the rainbow, but hard to say without seeing it in person.

I'd also like the rest of the forum to chime in... this place is more of a think tank than most people realize so please, everyone chime in.

Its also possible that the paint has a slight flake to it, I'm not up to speed with my Honda paints so that might be another issue we're seeing. Do you know the factory paint code and/or the factory paint name??

In the mid/late 80's I lived outside Harrisburg, PA, I see you show your location as The Bronx.

Due to my location to the city and the prevailing winds (I figured), Acid Rain was affecting my vehicle's finishes. They'd have, what I'd best describe as, a color filled water spot that would reflect light when polished and waxed. I couldn't remove them, just delt with them. Since moving from the city location I no longer have these marks.

Or, like others have said, it's possably metallic paints reflection!

You might want to clay again with a more aggressive (medium grade) clay to see if that removes them.

How long was it from when you clayed with the megs stuff to when these pictures were taken?

I don't know if he wants to get that aggressive yet due to what it will take to remove the damage that the clay will do.

I would say its just the metallic paint. The paint on my car metallic flake in it, and in the right sunlight I see the same thing.

There's one way to find out. David, exactly what make and model camera did you take those pictures with? I want you to take some more but I want to setup the camera first so that the pictures are 100% in focus.

it appears to be metal flake in the paint to me and some swirls but again its hard to tell in the pics. hopefully this will be done before hand but if not bring your car to our detail clinic on june 12 at my firehouse. Its only an hour or so drive for you and junkman will be there as well he can look at it personally.

it appears to be metal flake in the paint to me and some swirls but again its hard to tell in the pics. hopefully this will be done before hand but if not bring your car to our detail clinic on june 12 at my firehouse. Its only an hour or so drive for you and junkman will be there as well he can look at it personally.

Excellent point!! I just got off the phone with David and hes going to be getting a fresh claybar and a DA kit... the clinic might be the best place for AJ to give him some one on one coaching with the PC.

We really need a bumpersticker for AJ's Clinics:

"I graduated as an Honor Student from the Junkmans PC Academy"

:D

Correct, the yellow OTC megs clay is pretty tame... not that the Adams bar is super aggressive, but its far more aggressive than the OTC autoparts store stuff.

I thought all the consumer clay was the same. Didn't know there was any difference!

If he could attend the clinic, we could definitely nip this in the bud. So how far away are we from the clinic date?

Thanks again folks for all your support.

Lawson, I just may take you up on your offer.

And Junkman, the camera is a Canon Power Shot SD600 purchased 3 years ago but used only on special occasions and for Ebay items.

Try this. Follow this link. It will take you to a page with a condensed version of your camera's user manual. Check out page 10. On that page, it talks about how to put the camera into macro mode for shooting extreme close-ups. Using the macro mode, shoot some more pictures with AND without using the flash. Also, try shooting some pictures using no flash but with an alternative light source (like a lamp of some sort). Do some indoors and outdoors if you can but the most important thing you must do is ensure that the pictures are in focus and relatively close up. Post the good ones that you shoot.

That's how I get pictures like this:

macro_penny.jpg

Junkman,

You should've been the managing director for those sites like how-to & ask simon.

So you mean zooming in on those images like from the first one to the second one?

We'll go ahead and take those pics.

Thanks again good buddy!

here is the link to the detail clinic in the first post there is a link to the flyer with my info on it give me a call. Dan

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5780

Hey junkman how can i make the flyer show up in the thread i have been trying but i can only get a link and not the actual picture up there.

Edited by lawson4450

Junkman,

You should've been the managing director for those sites like how-to & ask simon.

So you mean zooming in on those images like from the first one to the second one?

We'll go ahead and take those pics.

Thanks again good buddy!

Do not use the zoom, that causes distortion in the pictures. Get close to what it is you're shooting. NO ZOOM!

here is the link to the detail clinic in the first post there is a link to the flyer with my info on it give me a call. Dan

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5780

Hey junkman how can i make the flyer show up in the thread i have been trying but i can only get a link and not the actual picture up there.

You have to post the image file of the flier. You are posting the link.

I thought all the consumer clay was the same. Didn't know there was any difference!

If he could attend the clinic, we could definitely nip this in the bud. So how far away are we from the clinic date?

Yes and no... while all clay comes from a common source there are varying grades. The yellow stuff thats OTC is of the most tame variety, Adams and others fall into a slightly more effective range and there are clays out there that are actually abrasive... not fun stuff IMO.

I didn't think this was the case until I did a little playing around with varying clays back in the day. Go over a spot with some of the other guys autoparts store yellow clay, do the baggie test and follow with the Adams... the difference is astounding.

It just picks up so much more stuff.