Customer Service 866.965.0400

Brilliant Spray Glaze vs Glass Sealer

Eidolon

Question

In the new series of instructional DVD's, Adam actually uses the BSG on the window of one of the Ferraris he's detailing. I'm guessing that the BSG actually has an effect similar to the glass sealer in that it provides a sort of "wax" layer on top of your windshield that acts as a buffer against rain.

That said, though, what's the difference and effect on your windshield between the BSG and the Glass Sealant?

Thanks for the help!

18 answers to this question

I'm not really concerned with sheeting the rain off, if it even looks like it is going to rain, my Camaro doesn't come out of the garage.

My car's my DD, though, so if I have somewhere to go, it unfortunately gets exposed to the elements.

Dylan,

I'm guessing that the BSG does not hold up due to the wiper's?

Steve

It doesn't hold up b/c it doesn't really bond to anything very well, but I'm sure wipers don't help. BSG is purely a beauty product, even in ideal conditions I wouldn't count on it lasting for more than a few days. Its great stuff, but durable it is not. Great for a quick and dramatic improvement to the sine and 'wax like' behaviors, but it doesn't stand up to much environmental exposure.

so can you do this, clean with glass cleaner, then spray brilliant spray glaze then glass sealant?

No, if you were going to use both you'd want the sealant on first so it can bond. Like I was explaining above BSG is not durable and doesn't bond well so if you laid the sealant over the BSG the sealant will only last as long as the thing its bonding to... so when the BSG goes, so does the sealant.

If you reverse (which we could have a discussion on on the point of diminishing returns) at least when the BSG was gone you'd still have the sealant left behind.

Durability... BSG has the durability of a wet paper bag, the glass sealant is like a bullet proof vest. The sealant also increases clarity in the glass.

I agree with Dylan it does increase clarity in the glass.

I'm not really concerned with sheeting the rain off, if it even looks like it is going to rain, my Camaro doesn't come out of the garage.

You sound about like me when it comes to my truck.

Durability... BSG has the durability of a wet paper bag, the glass sealant is like a bullet proof vest. The sealant also increases clarity in the glass.

Dylan,

I'm guessing that the BSG does not hold up due to the wiper's?

Steve

I have had success getting the glass sealant to break down using a cheapy microfiber sprayed down with APC (full strength). Clay also seemed to do the job just fine, but will burn up a claybar as the sealant will clog the bar up a tad and cut its usable life.

If you go the APC route don't just spray on the glass, you don't want to end up with a bunch of APC run off drying out your wipers, cowl, or trim. Follow up with a little glass cleaner and you're good to go. I've used this method a couple of times now (testing) and it worked like a charm.

I'm not really concerned with sheeting the rain off, if it even looks like it is going to rain, my Camaro doesn't come out of the garage. Funny thing is I did get caught once, summer shower, I took me a little bit to actually find the wipers. All that for a 2 minute shower

same here!

i got caught this past weekend on a road trip and didn't know how the wipers worked :lolsmack:

sad thing is i've had mine since last July ;)

I'm not really concerned with sheeting the rain off, if it even looks like it is going to rain, my Camaro doesn't come out of the garage. Funny thing is I did get caught once, summer shower, I took me a little bit to actually find the wipers. All that for a 2 minute shower

Just when you think you have everything you need..........

Yeah, precisely. It wasn't two or three days after I placed a large order that I got an email letting me know about a) the new glass sealant and B) the 15% off! :lolsmack::(

I've got some Rain-X sitting around I might use in the meantime. It works well enough for sheeting the rain off the windshield, though I'm not sure of its protective abilities or what it would do to microfiber...

The glass sealant is a newer product that just wasn't out when the last round of videos was made, so at the time BSG was the best thing for glass. With the new glass sealant, though, you get even better glass protection with lots more water beading off the windshield. :thumbsup:

Archived