Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to clean a motorcycle

ExpressThis13

Question

My dad just bought at 2005 Electraglide Screaming Eagle Harley Davidson and its sweet but its his first and hes asking me what would be the best way to clean it. Hes told me that people take em to car washes and spray them off and dry and wipe to a shine but that sounds stupid to me with an exposed motor, pipes, and not to mention electronics though im not sure so will you guys please help me out and point in the right direction.

10 answers to this question

nashss, As the President of a Local Chapter of motorcycles riders, I can tell you that the process you mentioned IS NOT how to wash a bike. I also do detailing of motorcycles that are getting ready for show and have seen the damages done by car washes and "Just Wiping it down". As much care should be given to a bike as any car, and in many cases, More Care! Always, Always avoid getting to much water in the electronics. A little won't hurt, just be sure to air dry the area completely, and if possible do the entire bike. The biggest problem with bikes that are actually driven is that the entire bike is exposed to road grime and other contaminates. Unlike a car's engine, the engine on a bike gets a lot more contaminates and special care needs to taken when cleaning. You can expect to spend as much time detailing a bike, and sometimes more, than a car. Mainly due to all the "Hidden" and "Difficult" areas that need to be cleaned. Hope this helps and good luck! Midnight

You do that with a moto-X bike NOT a street bike...

Best way is a lot like with a car. Hose, bucket, water, Adams Car wash... Blah blah blah... NO nozzle on the hose as there's a LOT of areas you don't want to get water that are VERY out in the open. Make sure to have some way to blow the water off when drying. Harley's like to hold water with all their fins on the engine. Start on the top and work down. BSG on ALL the chrome and some Americana where it counts!

BAM! Pretty bike.

me and a buddy just spent 5 hours on his road king yesterday. 2 GUYS FOR 5 HOURS NON STOP! I think we used half a bottle of freakin metal polish but that thing looked BAD!

BSG on the chrome and BLING BLING BLING!!! :2thumbs:

2005 Screamin' Eagle, nice bike.

I've ridden & washed my own Harley's for a long time. On a street ridden bike the process and results are similar to a car. I cover the seat with a WW M/F towel to avoid getting it too wet. Depending on the wheels, start there if they are getting special attention. I rinse the bike with the hose, avoiding the dash, speakers, etc. Then I use the foam gun, wash bucket & mitt, rinse & blow dry. Ask your dad where he wants VRT dressing applied. Common sense says you don't want your pegs, grips, floorboards, etc done. Then you can polish the small places if you need to, or hop on it and go for a putt.

This is not a show bike, but a street bike.

Have fun.

Bruce

As a Harley rider, cleaning cars and bikes can be a chore and a blast to do!! Thank God for Adams!! I have heard of a local rider here using a small insecticide pump sprayer with detail spray in one bottle and wcw in another!! He can adjust the nozzle to get into the nooks and crannies with a precision spray!! With that said I think its time to polish the bike Spring is here!!

Thanks guys I will have to show him this post so he can see the proper way to clean his bike. I was thinking some BSG, VRT, WCW, and maybe some americana would do awesome. Its not something he is going to ride everyday or at least I dont think so.

Oh and we have a air crompressor right in the garage that can be used to blow it off.

Archived