Customer Service 866.965.0400

Mustang totaled by dealer.

whiterp199

Um... is that even possible?

My friend has a remote start on his manual trans car... if he tries to start it in gear the best it'll do is lurch slightly forward and die. Either the car has to be in neutral or something has to be holding the clutch in for it to even idle.

I'm waving the BS flag on this one.

My friend has a remote start on his manual trans car... if he tries to start it in gear the best it'll do is lurch slightly forward and die. Either the car has to be in neutral or something has to be holding the clutch in for it to even idle.

Yeah something doesnt sound right. To make it move you need to apply some gas. it should have stalled.

If this actually happened, I think the owner of the Mustang bears the brunt of the responsibility because of improper installation of the remote starter. I find it hard to believe anyone can find a shop willing to install remote starters on a manual transmission car. It was probably installed by the owner and that is why there is no neutral override.

x2 this seems staged....possibly for insurane? :confused:

If this actually happened, I think the owner of the Mustang bears the brunt of the responsibility because of improper installation of the remote starter. I find it hard to believe anyone can find a shop willing to install remote starters on a manual transmission car. It was probably installed by the owner and that is why there is no neutral override.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Heck, the mustang owner is lucky the car didn't run someone over.

I say that if the owner installed the remote start, he is at fault for improper installation.

Most likely the car porter had no idea that the Mustang was a manual. Who ever parked the car should have put the parking braking on.

Back when I had my '79 Turbo Mustang with a manual transmission, I installed an after market cruise control. It had to have a clutch disconnect on it, that would disengauge the cruise when the clutch was pressed. I would expect a remote start would have to have the same feature.

I have been thinking about this for a while, and I am going to have to say that it was the owners fault. I know I changed my mind, but the owner probably did some hack install job, and why do you need remote start in Florida? Even my 04 Mach 1 would cool off in about 10 seconds after starting. It is not like winter where heat takes some time to warm up.

well the mustang is a drive by wire car now isnt it?

if so the PCM would open the throttle to allow it to idle not knowing if it was in gear or not ...

here is question tho, what if he didnt install the remote start himself but best buy or something did?

I think it's the dealerships fault. They shouldn't even be using the remote start. They should fix whatever it was that the car was in there for and thats it. Not mess with stereos, remote starts, etc. Even though I know most of them do mess with that stuff.

Totaled? My dad is a tv repairman and with his tools and Adams supplies I can fix that.

I think the car owner is at fault. He should not have installed remote start on a manual transmission. Now if the dealer did the install then they are both at fault.

Agreed! :thumbsup:

I think it's the dealerships fault. They shouldn't even be using the remote start. They should fix whatever it was that the car was in there for and thats it. Not mess with stereos, remote starts, etc. Even though I know most of them do mess with that stuff.

Exactly what I was thinking. Why was the dealership using the remote start anyway and who put the car there....was it the dealership or the owner. if the dealership did then they for one should have known it was a stick and secondly they should have put the parking brake on! Remote starts a owners choice and them having one installed has nothing to do with the dealership.

It might depend on the state, but here in IL it is illegal for a business to install a remote system system on a manual transmission.

AND... I have seen this happen before, and it was on a 97 mustang. My friend had one on his and his gf was playing with his key thob thing.... well she pushed the red button and it shot up the driveway into the newly panted camaro sitting in the garage :(

i had this happen to me at a car stereo shop i worked at. pulled my car in late in the day on a slow day to fix an amp and left it in the shop unattended for a few minutes after i was done. always parked with the car in neutral with the ebrake on. remote started the car from inside the building and heard my car take out our water fountain and our carpet rack. turns out one of the workers decided to jump in my car and mess with it when i wasnt working - too bad he didnt realize that there were security cameras all over and he got taped messing with my car.

every vehicle i have that has remote start has a warning sticker under the hood and i always let the service advisor know and make sure that he makes note of it. that way i am no longer liable.

in this case, as far as im concerned, the dealer knew about the remote start system on the vehicle, and they started the car without knowing if the car was in gear or not. they have some liability. however, there should be a notice that the remote start system doesnt have a neutral safety switch and the owner should have left explicit instructions on the proper use of the remote start.

i think both the owner and the dealership are at fault.

i had this happen to me at a car stereo shop i worked at. pulled my car in late in the day on a slow day to fix an amp and left it in the shop unattended for a few minutes after i was done. always parked with the car in neutral with the ebrake on. remote started the car from inside the building and heard my car take out our water fountain and our carpet rack. turns out one of the workers decided to jump in my car and mess with it when i wasnt working - too bad he didnt realize that there were security cameras all over and he got taped messing with my car.

every vehicle i have that has remote start has a warning sticker under the hood and i always let the service advisor know and make sure that he makes note of it. that way i am no longer liable.

in this case, as far as im concerned, the dealer knew about the remote start system on the vehicle, and they started the car without knowing if the car was in gear or not. they have some liability. however, there should be a notice that the remote start system doesnt have a neutral safety switch and the owner should have left explicit instructions on the proper use of the remote start.

i think both the owner and the dealership are at fault.

I agree there is def fault from both parties.

When these new mustangs start up they rev up to 1500-2000 rpm, plenty of rpm to take off from a stop and this is very much possible.

As for a scam to get a new Camaro he would probably want to get a 2011 Mustang that has a much better power/weight ratio than the *cough* obese * cough* Camaro. :loser:

Archived