Customer Service 866.965.0400

Layering SuperWax

Detail Mania

Question

So is there a limit to how many layers of superwax I can put on, or will I just be removing what’s already there as I am applying more after a couple of coats? Will I even really benefit from adding more than a couple of coats of superwax? About how long will a coat of superwax last if it’s garage kept?

8 answers to this question

I'm going on 10 months from 2 layers of MSW on my daily (garaged when home) and I still get massive water beading from it. Not sure when it will 'wear off', but it is longer than 10 months. :) I can't see any benefit from putting more than two layers on, there was no increased depth or shine that I could notice from the second coat.

Hopefully I can redo it soon, there is a lot of grit in the paint and swirls/scratches.

I'm not so much a fan of excessive layering of products... theres not a lot of benefit for the amount of effort. Also keep in mind you have to wait 12 hours for the product to cure fully, applying a top coat any sooner is counter productive.

So lets say you lay down coat #1 wait 12 hours, lay down coat number 2 you have a pretty durable protective layer on there. After that I'd say you can safely lay a less durable product on top every 2-3 washes (buttery) for more gloss/depth, but if you start excessively layering a product like MSW that doesn't diminish for long periods of time you eventually run the risk of hazing and/or cloudy finish.

At what point that happens I don't know, but theres one way to find out.... start layering MSW every weekend and let us all know when things start to go south.

I'm not so much a fan of excessive layering of products... theres not a lot of benefit for the amount of effort. Also keep in mind you have to wait 12 hours for the product to cure fully, applying a top coat any sooner is counter productive.

So lets say you lay down coat #1 wait 12 hours, lay down coat number 2 you have a pretty durable protective layer on there. After that I'd say you can safely lay a less durable product on top every 2-3 washes (buttery) for more gloss/depth, but if you start excessively layering a product like MSW that doesn't diminish for long periods of time you eventually run the risk of hazing and/or cloudy finish.

At what point that happens I don't know, but theres one way to find out.... start layering MSW every weekend and let us all know when things start to go south.

I got the Americana to haze after a month of constant applications, Literally 20 coats of americana :lolsmack:

You have to keep yourself busy when you quit smoking :willy:.. Waxing my car was a great way to keep my mind off of smoking.. I talked to adam about it, just for piece of mind, but I knew in my head it was my over-waxing. I'm going to strip it over the weekend and start all over now that I'm pretty much over my smoking habit. Should be a good opportunity to hit it with some FMP to get a few light scratches out of it anyways. :pc:

If your car is garage kept there is no need to layer MSW. One coat will do the trick,then down the road you can apply a coat of Americana.:cheers:

A lot of the detailing world still suffers from Zaino-itis... its a condition where you believe you have to have 10million coats of product on your car :jester:

I put my second coat of MSW on on 11/06/09 (day before my wedding) and it still beads up. I haven't hand washed it since that day as well... Ugh...

2 coats seemed to work for me. However IMO it's VERY due for a good Dawn wash and a couple days of detailing.

Chris

Archived