Customer Service 866.965.0400

Counter Weight Selection - Which Do You Need?

floraneg

Question

I received my 4" spot pads last week, but couldn't find my wrench. I ordered one off the Internet last Thursday and it finally arrived. After removing the velcro backing pad, I see that there is some sort of counter weight on the machine that reads "Use 5 inch pad only" Do I remove this to use the 4" spot pads or do I leave it on?

I plan on going crazy this weekend! :pc:

IMG_0006.jpgIMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

Edited by floraneg

• Answers 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Shoot! Now I am nervous to put it on a drill. Maybe I can find a scrap hood or fender to practice on first. But for now I'll put the focus pads on the PC

Craig, nothing to be nervous about. I only use a drill with my spot pads. The trick, like Jason said, is to keep moving. Side to side and up and down. After I hit the area that needs the spot pad I go over the area with a PC or Flex. That way if I did happen to put a hologram in it, the buffer will remove it and make the paint look good.

The more you use the tools, the more comfortable you will feel.

Are you kidding me? I used a capture program and keep them on the SD in my phone for both reference and entertainment!

:lolsmack:

If you use Firefox as your web browser, you can then use the free addon called Download Videohelper to actually download the original videos. Then you can save them or move them to any media. :thumbsup:

So I have a PC 7424 and it has the standard 5" counterweight that I can use with the Adams backing plate and Adams pads?

Well I also ordered this http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-430-adams-focus-4-polishing-pad-kit.aspx

it comes with the 4" backing plate but no 4" counterweight so what do I do? Is it ok to use like that on the PC if I didnt want to use it on a drill?

You can use the 4" backing plate on the PC with no counter weight change.

What Doug said^

The counter weight 'size' is more important when using the PC as a sander. No need to change it when you change backing plates.

Chris, I am aware of that. However like you said I am not sure if I am ready to put a drill to my car even after watching many videos lol

You will like them on the PC :thumbsup:

I use my rotary for big jobs but now love my PC.

My drill is being used more these days, great work using it, practice on an old car that has very bad paint to learn how to safely use it, comes in handy on removing deep scratches and headlamps.

When switching from the 6.5 pads and going to the 4" pads on the Porter Cable do you need to change the counter weight. I tried a 4" backing plate with the orig weight and it hobbled all over. If so what weight do I use and where can you get one from. Thanks for any advise

When switching from the 6.5 pads and going to the 4" pads on the Porter Cable do you need to change the counter weight. I tried a 4" backing plate with the orig weight and it hobbled all over. If so what weight do I use and where can you get one from. Thanks for any advise

Just make sure the pad is centered and do not go above speed 4 on the PC :2thumbs: