Customer Service 866.965.0400

Best way to remove wax BEFORE claying?

Z71_Denali

Question

looking for a good way to remove what wax is remaining on the car before claying the car.

Zaino guys use Dawn soap in the wash stage before claying, then after claying, use a standard car wash shampoo.

what process does Adam's recommend?

I'm glad someone asked this - I am getting ready to rework my first attempt on my hood. (too much product-duh) I put MSW on it after my first try(SHR, FMP, MSW), and now I am freed up schedule-wise to redo the hood. Want to get it much closer to perfect.

Will washing the panel with dawn remove MSW? Will claying the MSW treated panel remove the MSW?

Thanks -

Edited by Doug123

Washing with dawn will strip most of it, whatever doesn't come off with the soap will be removed in the clay and polishing processes. You could skip the dawn all together b/c the polish will remove it as well, only drawback is you pad will get clogged quickly with the old wax.

Keep in mind there are drawbacks to the "dawn wash" it dries out trip and plastic so I generally suggest limiting it to no more than 2x a year and make sure you liberally apply VRT afterward to restore some moisture to these areas.

Camaro Love baby! :drool: you pontiac guys gettin jealous? :lolsmack:

I promote the crap out of Adam's on the Camaro5 website.. Maybe its working :cheers:

I do the same on Camaro5. It seems as if there are 3 types of buyers Adams, ZaiNO, and then over the counter. I try to convert as many as possible to Adams. :2thumbs:

I really dig this Camaro revolution! Chevy finally got it right with this car, I'm very very happy with my Camaro. Vette is my #1 choice, but won't fit the family :D

i agree... i woulda bought a vette when purchasing my camaro, but people notice the camaro more, and insurance cost less for the same sized engine :2thumbs:

Back to the OP question:

I don't use Dawn anymore, as Dylan said it dries out rubber and plastic trim over time making it dull, or worse, cracked. Over time, washing and the elements remove much of the wax on its own. The clay bar and various polishes will remove the rest. I've never experienced the clay bar becoming ineffective due to wax build up? Even on my garage queen GTO that's waxed monthly through the show season, not seeing rain and rarely a hose to wash her (I love WCW), I've not had the clay "clog".

Okay, it's an okay product. PRICEY and NOT as good as Adams. I'm not a fan of there MULTIPLE (and I mean A LOT) coats phylisophy. I love there posts..."just put on 30 coats of Zaino...look at that shine"! Of course that shine will be gone after the first good rain. I just don't like Zaino fans "drink the coolaid" pushy-ness. I'm on a few other car forums and it just gets way out of hand. Don't us Adams users out number the Zaino boys by now??

goatcheez

:pc:

i had it painted locally... much higher chance of the paint getting damaged in shipment if you ordered it painted. plus the paint matches perfectly!

the bumper is really easy to remove, much easier than it looks!

It looks great! :drool:

ok so the steps for claying are: wash with dawn,claybar,wash with adams wash, when wax??

If you want to go the Dawn route, then:

Dawn wash

Clay

Adam's wash (optional)

SHR (if necessary)

FMP or Revive

Adam's wax of your choice

Hey, Jeff, right? Can't remember...sorry. Good to see you over here.

This is what you want: http://adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3254

If you need help, let me know. I'm up North more often now as I'm actively looking to move up there so I am applying for jobs. My girlfriend also lives in Elmhurst. I'm at Strats now and then.

Okay, it's an okay product. PRICEY and NOT as good as Adams. I'm not a fan of there MULTIPLE (and I mean A LOT) coats phylisophy. I love there posts..."just put on 30 coats of Zaino...look at that shine"! Of course that shine will be gone after the first good rain. I just don't like Zaino fans "drink the coolaid" pushy-ness. I'm on a few other car forums and it just gets way out of hand. Don't us Adams users out number the Zaino boys by now??

goatcheez

:pc:

Recent Adam's convert here, from the other stuff...