Customer Service 866.965.0400

Best way to remove wax BEFORE claying?

Z71_Denali

Question

looking for a good way to remove what wax is remaining on the car before claying the car.

Zaino guys use Dawn soap in the wash stage before claying, then after claying, use a standard car wash shampoo.

what process does Adam's recommend?

i had it painted locally... much higher chance of the paint getting damaged in shipment if you ordered it painted. plus the paint matches perfectly!

the bumper is really easy to remove, much easier than it looks!

i had it painted locally... much higher chance of the paint getting damaged in shipment if you ordered it painted. plus the paint matches perfectly!

the bumper is really easy to remove, much easier than it looks!

It looks great! :drool:

ok so the steps for claying are: wash with dawn,claybar,wash with adams wash, when wax??

If you want to go the Dawn route, then:

Dawn wash

Clay

Adam's wash (optional)

SHR (if necessary)

FMP or Revive

Adam's wax of your choice

Hey, Jeff, right? Can't remember...sorry. Good to see you over here.

This is what you want: http://adamsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3254

If you need help, let me know. I'm up North more often now as I'm actively looking to move up there so I am applying for jobs. My girlfriend also lives in Elmhurst. I'm at Strats now and then.

Okay, it's an okay product. PRICEY and NOT as good as Adams. I'm not a fan of there MULTIPLE (and I mean A LOT) coats phylisophy. I love there posts..."just put on 30 coats of Zaino...look at that shine"! Of course that shine will be gone after the first good rain. I just don't like Zaino fans "drink the coolaid" pushy-ness. I'm on a few other car forums and it just gets way out of hand. Don't us Adams users out number the Zaino boys by now??

goatcheez

:pc:

Recent Adam's convert here, from the other stuff...

Ryan - I love that heritage grill! Did you get it painted or buy it painted? I'm concidering one when I have some extra money laying around - and feel like disassembling the entire front end to install it.

Dawn isn't 100% necessary regardless of how many layers you have on the car. If your car is an outside car I'd recommend not doing it. Like others said it really dries out your trim and stuff over time. Of course VRT will help make it look better, but it won't seal cracks if it got dry enough and cracked.

The claying process will help remove almost all of the wax and then the polish will aid in removing the rest plus help clean the paint to prepare it for a nice coat of wax.

It's all a matter of preference on dawn though. Do what you feel needs to be done, to get you to the ulitimate shine that you want.

My steps typically include: wash, clay, rewash, swirl and haze remover(only if needed), then polish, then a nice coat of wax. :pc:

The nice thing about Dawn for me is that it strips grease and DID I EVER have a ton of it on my car after this past winter... UGH! Once a year for me... Otherwise it's clay and wax with some minor FMP touchups.

Okay, it's an okay product. PRICEY and NOT as good as Adams. I'm not a fan of there MULTIPLE (and I mean A LOT) coats phylisophy. I love there posts..."just put on 30 coats of Zaino...look at that shine"! Of course that shine will be gone after the first good rain. I just don't like Zaino fans "drink the coolaid" pushy-ness. I'm on a few other car forums and it just gets way out of hand. Don't us Adams users out number the Zaino boys by now??

goatcheez

:pc:

Back to the OP question:

I don't use Dawn anymore, as Dylan said it dries out rubber and plastic trim over time making it dull, or worse, cracked. Over time, washing and the elements remove much of the wax on its own. The clay bar and various polishes will remove the rest. I've never experienced the clay bar becoming ineffective due to wax build up? Even on my garage queen GTO that's waxed monthly through the show season, not seeing rain and rarely a hose to wash her (I love WCW), I've not had the clay "clog".

I really dig this Camaro revolution! Chevy finally got it right with this car, I'm very very happy with my Camaro. Vette is my #1 choice, but won't fit the family :D

i agree... i woulda bought a vette when purchasing my camaro, but people notice the camaro more, and insurance cost less for the same sized engine :2thumbs:

Yeah... We're screwed! We're not made anymore... :(

I really dig this Camaro revolution! Chevy finally got it right with this car, I'm very very happy with my Camaro. Vette is my #1 choice, but won't fit the family :D

Camaro Love baby! :drool: you pontiac guys gettin jealous? :lolsmack:

I promote the crap out of Adam's on the Camaro5 website.. Maybe its working :cheers:

I do the same on Camaro5. It seems as if there are 3 types of buyers Adams, ZaiNO, and then over the counter. I try to convert as many as possible to Adams. :2thumbs:

Camaro Love baby! :drool: you pontiac guys gettin jealous? :lolsmack:

I promote the crap out of Adam's on the Camaro5 website.. Maybe its working :cheers:

Yeah... We're screwed! We're not made anymore... :(

Archived