Customer Service 866.965.0400

Making a hobby a legit business

moparman

Question

i was thinking of doing this too. Just for friends/family. I was gonna charge 50 bucs for wash clay polish wax. Well after I did my car, I leanred its hard work. It would have to be at least 100 dollars. My car wasnt even that bad swirl wise since i was new. I can only imagine other cars.

I will still do their cars, but for like 100 dollars (including the inside engine bay and everything) lol.

People tell me thats a lot of money, but I have to explain that this isnt something that has to be done often. Its detailing, not just car washing....

I always get compliments on my paint though. After I did my car, I didn't realize I had so much glitter (or pearl) in my paint lol!

I think he is supplementing his day job, but keeping it as a hobby, (let's say keeping any money off the books) versus becoming a legit business and showing profits and (mostly) losses.

There are benefits to both ways. It does become a hassle operating as a business; licenses, income & expense recording, etc, but then you do get certain benefits.

I would talk to your tax professional or CPA and decide.

Bruce

Something that I (and Adam) often say -

"No one gets rich detailing"

Its hard often frustrating work detailing for dollars. I did it for years as a side job and despite the high level of some of the stuff I was working on it rarely was profitable enough to afford me the lifestyle I wanted to lead. Then of course there the lulls to contend with... living in SoCal Im essentially in the mecca for detailers and could work ALMOST year round, but when the rainy season comes thru and you have zero clients its a hard business to be in. Based on your location you'd have far more of that to deal with than I ever would.

Not trying to tinkle on your parade... but if you REALLY enjoy detailing, keep it as a hobby so you can continue to enjoy it. Take care of friends and family on the side for a couple $$ here and there.

Archived