Customer Service 866.965.0400

Tar Removal

Dr Jkel

Question

12 answers to this question

There are several products you can buy that are designed to remove tar.

I've also had people tell me that if it's really bad, kerosene or diesel fuel will take it off. Not sure if that's good for the paint or not. Just passing on what I've heard. I'm sure it would definitely remove any wax you have on there.

I have alot of tar, 35 x 13.50 x 20 tires, been there awhile. Some pretty big globs on the lower door panels. Is there any other way? will APC cut it off?

Beginning the process on my truck, for practice before hitting the Camaro, no wax, nothing.

Edited by Dr Jkel

Adam mentioned something about a tar remover coming out in 2010. This is from Adam when he posted about his move to Colorado. The date may have changed though. Maybe someone can post with some more info.

"What Colorado will do for our product line:

1. Expect to see a new version of our In & Out Spray in Spring 2010.
  2. Expect to see a Bug & Tar Remover in mid-2010.
  3. Our "Liquid Gold" glass sealant will debut at about the same time, which will knock out all competing glass sealants.
  4. Improved delivery times, response times, and customer service.
  5. Reduce the number of days in transit to 70% of our customers.
  6. Reduce the shipping costs to all of our customers"

I've used APC cut at a 1:1 or 2:1 ratio to clean up road tar before. It won't harm the paint and its pretty good at dissolving it enough that you can wash or clay it away.

I spray on, allow it to dwell, then hose off completely... go thru my wash routine, then try to get whatevers left with the claybar. Depending on how long its been on and how bad it is you might need something more aggressive.

I've got this going on now as well. I REALLY like the 3M adhesive remover and I know Adam is a lover of it as well. It will MOST DEFINITELY remove wax but it will also remove stubborn tar.

I think mine are more like grease snakes and not tar. Been too cold for tar to be fluid enough to do this. I plan to try the APC or GWC as Dylan recommended as it's a little less harmful to the paint.