Customer Service 866.965.0400

Best way to dry your vehicle?

dumbmoran

Question

You can say this is more like a poll question but I do welcome any expert opinions.

On the Adams Instructional DVD, I see that when Adam is drying the Ferrari with the waffle weave microfiber, he is wiping down the vehicle to remove the excess water.

However, on other so-called expert auto-detailing threads, they say that wiping down a vehicle, especially a dark color vehicle, will induce swirls, no matter how high quality towel you are using. In lieu of wiping, they suggest gently blotting the vehicle one section at a time, and to never move the towel across the paint even if it's a gentle swipe because of a high probability of the microfiber/cotton towel picking up some small debris or speck of foreign matter.

Happy Detailing!

You'll be hard pressed to get a car 100% dry by blotting unless you do a lot of work with an air compressor, leaf blower, or metro blaster sidekick before hand.

Honestly there is no promise you won't be able prevent swirls completely... something, somewhere, somehow is going to introduce swirls no matter how hard you try. If swirl correction was a one time thing and swirl prevention was easy the detailing industry would be hard pressed to find customers LOL.

I've always wiped b/c if the paint is well lubricated with detail spray, the towel is a paint safe material, and the paint is clean then theres really no cause for concern.

You'll be hard pressed to get a car 100% dry by blotting unless you do a lot of work with an air compressor, leaf blower, or metro blaster sidekick before hand.

Honestly there is no promise you won't be able prevent swirls completely... something, somewhere, somehow is going to introduce swirls no matter how hard you try. If swirl correction was a one time thing and swirl prevention was easy the detailing industry would be hard pressed to find customers LOL.

I've always wiped b/c if the paint is well lubricated with detail spray, the towel is a paint safe material, and the paint is clean then theres really no cause for concern.

:iagree:

I sold my Dad on Adam's products by showing him what a great experience drying your car becomes with a little DS.

:iagree: Plus, I think the problem comes more from not thoroughly cleaning the car. Yes, the act of wiping can possibly induce swirls, but if the car wasn't completely clean, this is where you might pick up some small debris and drag it across the car.

The goal is to induce as little damage as possible, but it's pretty much impossible to eliminate completely.

:iagree:

I'm with Dylan here... DS or waterless car wash is the bomb when drying...

NO WAY you can keep from scratching the paint... I'm sorry but I've said it before. Unless you correct it and literally store it in a bubble and never touch it again, there's NO WAY to keep from introducing micro scratches into the paint.

What we do here helps SOOOO much it's not funny. I have a black vehicle and it's not perfect because it's my DD but it's 95% better than what it would be if I didn't use these products and methods everyone here has taught me.

Chris

What is the best technique you guys have come up with?

I have everything pretty well down except when it comes to drying.

I use an Adam's WW towel. It never seems to get all the water up and I've even had it make swirls. :\ (I believe)

Do you ball it up? Do you drag it across the car? Do you fold it into 4 and use it like an MF when you use DS?

Usually I use the fail safe method of go 80mph down the local country road right after washing, lol. This is obviously not the best choice.

So...what are some great tips/tricks/techniques you guys have come up with? Should I get more WW towels or use DS or use a leaf blower (I have done that before, it works pretty well)?

If your recommendation is DS, what would you use as an alternative if you didn't have enough DS? I'd like to not spent a lot of money right now.

I have a Master Blaster Dryer. I don't always use it though. First when you rinse your car off, take your nozzle off and flood the soap off.This will make it alot easier to dry, the water will sheet off.Then I use a water blade to get the worst off.I spray the car with DS,then take your Adam's WW towel and dry.Hope this helps.:2thumbs:

I just hit it with some DS...then open up one of the great white drying towels and drag it across the surface...vette is dry after one pass :2thumbs: no swirls. I use another great white towel to touch up...

haven't tried the flooding method yet.

I use the California water blade sometimes as well and it works pretty well. Just don't use that cheap rubber thing that some guy sells out of the back of his truck at car shows. That thing is a p.o.s.

But the best method is to use DS and the Great White Drying Towel. Can't go wrong. I lay it flat and pull. Works for me.

I use DS misting on the wet car and 2 great white towels. Open it up all the way and draw across the paint by their corners. Use the 2nd one for the little touchups. Dry from the top down.

And use any junk cloth or microfiber to do the door jambs, under the hood, etc. etc. I would not think driving the wet car would be good, as they tend to suck up dirt off the road, and THAT would give you swirls for sure.

The sheeting effect becomes much more practical once there is a layer of wax on the car. I noticed the sheeting effect did very little the first time I washed my G8 since it had no wax on it. It currently has 2 coats of buttery wax to tide over until I have time to do a complete detail, however, now the sheeting effect has much more dramatic results.

I do the sheeting after blasting off the soap. Then I get the leaf blower to get the big puddles off and also get the water out of the lights, vents, etc, then come behind that with a WW misting and drying towel. By the time I get to the towel step, the car is 80-90% dry anyway and the only things I am mopping up are tiny beads here and there.

I have a Master Blaster Dryer. I don't always use it though. First when you rinse your car off, take your nozzle off and flood the soap off.This will make it alot easier to dry, the water will sheet off.Then I use a water blade to get the worst off.I spray the car with DS,then take your Adam's WW towel and dry.Hope this helps.:2thumbs:

The Master Blaster is real nice unit..not cheap for just a blower.

Hm. Here's what I did, with no evidence of scratching or swirling. Spray the wet car with detail spray. With the Great White towel, I opened it up, laid in on the car, held only the corners and pulled. Car was dry. Period.

I wouln't THINK there is enough weight in the towel alone to create scratches. Hypothetically, the surface is free of surface sand, grit, etc because you just washed and rinsed it...so unless your washing in really windy conditions, you should be ok.

I'd be interested in what others have to say.

That's how I dry my vette!

I also use the air compressor to blow the water out from the lights, mirror, etc.

I can dry the vette with Adam's Great White Towel in approx. 5 minutes :thumbsup:

Wow, I do exactly the same thing. I also have the master blaster but I sometimes don't want to put the effort into using it especially on the DD.I will not let my wife touch my water blade. I am very very careful using it:thumbsup:

Archived