Customer Service 866.965.0400

Proper use of the PC

Memphis Senior

Question

I was polishing my truck the other day with my PC. My room mate happened to pass by and told me I was using it WRONG.

He worked in a body shop many years ago. (30 or 40) He said the PROPER way to use a polisher was to tip it on it's side,

so that only about 25% or so of the pad is touching the paint. Don't recall his reasoning, but he insists that holding the PC FLAT,

so that 100% of the pad is working is WRONG.

So I thought I'd come to you experts on the site and see if I've been doing it wrong all this time. :lolsmack::lolsmack::help:

Or have things changed since he use to work in the body shop. Would also like to know WHY one technique is better than the other.

18 answers to this question

I am a rotary user and I keep my pads flat on the surface as much as I can.

Now the exception is a wool pad, a slight angle with wool is acceptable but not to the point of 25% of the pad only touching.

Thank you Sundog, exactly my point. When you are doing something like this, you are really increasing the cut in a given area which is risky, especially with a wool pad. Personally, I don't do it for safety reasons and would use other measures such as the 5" pads that I have for my Makita.

Yes I/we remember all that stuff Junkman. We also remember where we were and what we were doing the day JFK was shot.

Also remember watching the Super Bowl. ALL 44 of them. We were around when the U.S.S.R. put Sputnik into orbit.

We were also here on VE & VJ Days. (Look those up in your history book.)

SO WHAT. All I was asking was, is the way he learned to do it correct for the PC?

Thanks for your help.

NO!

Flat is the only right way to use the PC. He's thinking of rotary which is somewhat correct.

Oh and AJ was just being a smart a**... He's not just a pretty face... :jester:

Let's see, 30 or 40 years ago. What has changed?

1. You can show your belly button on TV now and not cause an uproar.
  2. Things done on HBO now won't get you fined by the FCC.
  3. Shows like the "Jefferson's" and "All in the Family" were considered politically correct.
  4. OMG, the fashion.
  5. Showing your chest hair and disco were coming into their own.
  6. Michael Jackson was still black.
  7. Elvis was the king.
  8. You changed your oil every 3 thousand miles.
  9. Customer service was still the norm and not the exception.

Yep, I'd say some things have changed since he and the dinosaurs were still roaming the earth. You never tilt a polisher on its side like that. You do a rotary like that when you're trying to burn through the paint (need I say, not a good idea... :loser:). They didn't even have foam pads 30 or 40 years ago. The business and technology has changed by leaps and bounds since then. He needs to update his time machine.

Yes I/we remember all that stuff Junkman. We also remember where we were and what we were doing the day JFK was shot.

Also remember watching the Super Bowl. ALL 44 of them. We were around when the U.S.S.R. put Sputnik into orbit.

We were also here on VE & VJ Days. (Look those up in your history book.)

SO WHAT. All I was asking was, is the way he learned to do it correct for the PC?

Thanks for your help.

3. Shows like the "Jefferson's" and "All in the Family" were considered politically correct.
  4. OMG, the fashion.
  7. Elvis was the king.

Yep, I'd say some things have changed since he and the dinosaurs were still roaming the earth.

Sadly, I remember ALL of those things.

Well except the dinosaurs.

Really!

4. OMG, the fashion.
  7. Elvis was the king.

Yep, I'd say some things have changed since he and the dinosaurs were still roaming the earth. You never tilt a polisher on its side like that. You do a rotary like that when you're trying to burn through the paint (need I say, not a good idea... :loser:). They didn't even have foam pads 30 or 40 years ago. The business and technology has changed by leaps and bounds since then. He needs to update his time machine.

Archived