Customer Service 866.965.0400

Touchless Car Washes - The Good & The Bad (Videos)

Junkman2008

Question

Hey boys & girls! Another "brutha' in his garage production" coming your way!

This time I talk about the pros and cons of touch-less car washes. A lot of people think that touch-less is always the answer but as I make clear in these videos, it is not always the best route to go. There is nothing wrong with the touchless car wash process itself, it is what is done after the wash that will make or break your paint job.

Let me make sure that everyone understands that in this video, my car was driven in a light downpour. For someone who drives in a normal or heavy downpour, your car will have a much tougher film of dirt on it, especially if you allow it to dry in the sun. This film is what will create those nasty swirls over time if you continually address them wrong.

With that said, let's get to the videos!

Video 1 - Touch-less Car Wash

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxMLlRlI9Tc&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxMLlRlI9Tc&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Video 2 - The Conclusion

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXROQ_PsL9E&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXROQ_PsL9E&hl=en_US&fs=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

The Junkman

:cheers:

• Answers 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Video 2 - The Concusion ??? Well I know concussion has 2 S's in it and I know conclusion has an L in it... lol

Great vids man!

I use touchless washes all the time during the winter as I have NO other way to clean my car the "right" way. I however, use the ones that only blow dry the car at the end to remove the larger amounts of water. IMO this is MUCH better than allowing the salt to sit on the paint.

Chris

Video 2 - The Concusion ??? Well I know concussion has 2 S's in it and I know conclusion has an L in it... lol

Great vids man!

I use touchless washes all the time during the winter as I have NO other way to clean my car the "right" way. I however, use the ones that only blow dry the car at the end to remove the larger amounts of water. IMO this is MUCH better than allowing the salt to sit on the paint.

Chris

Oops! I don't know how I missed that! My eyes are giving me fits right now with everything blooming.

Yes, touchless is good for knocking off the big dirt as I say in my videos. It's not so much that touchless is bad at all, it's what you do after the touchless that's important.

Agreed 110% AJ! Great videos. I think we all need to pool our money and get you a 1080P video camera though... 480 is only just a bit better then DVD quality... :loser:

You're all hazy on my 50" plasma when I watch these with my Apple TV...

Heck... At least 720P...

J/K AJ!

Great vids!

Agreed 110% AJ! Great videos. I think we all need to pool our money and get you a 1080P video camera though... 480 is only just a bit better then DVD quality... :loser:

You're all hazy on my 50" plasma when I watch these with my Apple TV...

Heck... At least 720P...

J/K AJ!

Great vids!

I look bad enough at 720P. I don't want to scare people off in HD! :lolsmack:

Most of my videos are at 720... I think. I do have the camera for it though.

Your the man-McGruff. :D:D

ruff, ruff!

Quick question. What did you have on for wax before doing the video and how long had it been since you waxed?

There was no wax on the car. As a matter of fact, I haven't waxed my car in probably 5 months. I wasn't driving it during the winter and I haven't taken the time to do it yet this year. But check this out.

I was working on the car with FMP trying to get to a point where I could add some wax. Something came up and I had to stop what I was doing. By the time I got back on the car, I had to wash it again. Looking at the picture below, can you figure out where I stopped working with the FMP?

fmp_beads.jpg

fmp_beads0.jpg

fmp_beads1.jpg

Now I'm not saying that FMP will work like wax but it is doing something...

Wow! Nice comparison. With my question earlier I was just wondering if having a nice coat of Americana would make that dirt just sheet right off. Can't wait to get my Junkman Kit so that I can try all this stuff.

I said that in the beginning too my scholar pupil. :D

Wow! Nice comparison. With my question earlier I was just wondering if having a nice coat of Americana would make that dirt just sheet right off. Can't wait to get my Junkman Kit so that I can try all this stuff.

Wax will help with the removal of dirt but the really evident thing you will see is how it keeps bug guts from sticking to the car.

Archived