Customer Service 866.965.0400

detailing in sunlight

angermgmt14

Question

I don't have a garage so I have to detail her in the driveway. Is it ok to do the claying, shr, revive, and waxing in direct sunlight? I am going to start as early in the morning as I can to avoid as much sunlight as possible. It will be done on a cool, sunny day 55-60 degrees.

7 answers to this question

I get up @ 4:30 AM day in and day out. By 7AM my car and wifeys highlander are washed and ready for whatever. official outside noise time is 8AM so any claying is done prior to the noise hour. usually I'm finished with the PC work by 9 - 10 and finished waxing by 11. I havn't had any problems so far. I have a black ride and her's is red IE: its on going.

I generally don't recommend detailing in direct sunlight, at least not working on the paint. The heat the sun generates within the paint itself causes the products your using to dry at a rapid rate; this can cause you to over use product and may cause your wax to harden to a cement.

That been said; I'm not sure how the heat will affect the polishes (SHR, FMP, Revive) themselves, but my guess is that when they have dried out on the finish, and you keep rubbing them into the paint its going to cause more marring of the paint. Dylan or AJ will need to chime in here.

Buttery wax can be applied and removed in direct sunlight, but Americana and MSW will turn into cement on your paint if applied in the sun.

I will be hand polishing/waxing so it will take most of the day. It is still a little chilly in the morning hear in the northeast (mid to upper 30's at 7am),But with the sunshine it's bearable. I just might have to wait for a cloudy day. But who really wants one of those?? Lol!!

While we're at it...any thoughts on BSG and WW in sunlight? ya know...like at car shows...etc.?

Not sure about the BSG, but the following is from the WW description.

"Adam’s Waterless Car Wash Pros: Prolong wax and sealant durability. It can also be used in the sun!"

I would not polish in the sun.

I was polishing the Chevy II the other day with my garage door open and I failed to notice that the sun had dropped enough to shine on the paint. Being a dark-ish color it didn't take long for the paint to get hot and the SHR was EXTREMELY difficult to remove. It took a couple soaks with DS and hard scrubbing to get some spots off.

Archived