Customer Service 866.965.0400

help porter cable will not rotate

ricks98ws7

Question

Got my new 300.00 kit and just went to try it. The new style black pad adapter was on the machine when I recieved it. Got all set up ,installed the orane pad and tried to use the porter cale polisher. It started to work but as soon as I put any pressure on it it just vibrates. Tried just the weight of the machine and it tries to spin but still just vibrates? Everything it tightpad adapter ect just will not spin at all with any pressure? Rick:willy:

Wow, I don't know what is happening in your area. Dylan would be the one to check with on that front. One thing to try while you're waiting on that scale is to turn the unit up to 6 and see if it stops spinning when you apply what you think is 9-14 pounds (by the way, 9-14 pounds includes the weight of the polisher). If it stops rotating, then it definitely has a problem.

Excellent idea except.... I left the polisher at my other place. Its an actual house in the woods in contrast to a condo in the city where they would have lets just say major issues if I went to the garage and started up a pc. But I will be back in the woods in a few weeks so will give that a go Junkman!

And sorry Rick I didn't mean to threadjack! Hope your PC issues get resolved quickly.

I find that more often than not people are pressing REALLY hard when they think they're only doing 14lbs of pressure. Realize that the machine itself weighs a few pounds so you don't need to put much on top of it. I call it the angry gorilla principle... people push like they're trying to force the swirls thru the paint and out the bottom of the car

:lolsmack:

Also realize that depending on what your polishing, curves, bodylines, and changes in angle will cause the head to stop rotating. The ROTATION isn't so important as the OSCILLATION. The inner workings of the PC have the head moving in a geared star pattern, as long as its making that movement you're fine. The only reason the head will spin is the centrifugal force of the oscillation. If a force stronger than that, like the curvature of a body panel, interrupts that movement the head won't spin. At no point is the head driven to rotate, thus the reason you can grab it with your hand and stop it or use very little pressure to stop it all together.

I got a chance to talk with Rick on the phone yesterday and he was explaining a vibrating movement, bi-directionally, not an oscillation, so there likely is a defect in his PC... I know how these threads go... everyone gets all hypochondriac and starts second guessing their equipment b/c another guy had a failure. In all the thousands of PC's I've helped sell and/or coached people to use this is a first, so the likelihood that anyone else is having the same issue right now and is just realizing it is slim to none.

I know how these threads go... everyone gets all hypochondriac and starts second guessing their equipment b/c another guy had a failure.

Happens all the time with our technical gear in the Navy. A message goes out that a piece of kit broke on another ship and ten minutes later the Chief has me and my guys tearing it apart for no real reason on ours.....LOL

I call it the angry gorilla principle... people push like they're trying to force the swirls thru the paint and out the bottom of the car

How do ya get swirls off the asphalt then? :lolsmack:

How do ya get swirls off the asphalt then? :lolsmack:

:lol::lol: Didn't you see today's special...ASR...Asphault Swirl Remover...comes with a purple pad...and the product smells like freshly laid road tar. mmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...yummy.

Dylan...:2thumbs:...another satisfied customer, no doubt.

did you put a mark on the backing plate so you can confirm its not moving? its very hard to tell if the pad is rotating when it is vibrating unless your eyes have an obvious reference point.

Yes I marked it that is how I know it is not spinning Big white mark just sits in one spot. If I pick it up I can spin it around . Any pressure it just vibrates and the mark stays in one spot. Even tried the 4" kit and adapter same thing? Rick

are you using the proper gauge extension cord? try plugging it directly into the wall and see if you have the same issue...thats the only thing else I can think of...take advantage of Adam's superior customer service if nothing else...Adam, Dylan and Ashley are more than happy to help out and make it right.

hm.....something ain't right...but its not you...zip a message/email to Ashley or Dylan...you can even try calling today (not sure if they are open)...but they WILL make this right...that's how Adam's customer service works. :2thumbs:

Thank you for the help sent emails and voicemails. Used the 4'' kit on my drill to fix the spots where the porter cable marred up the finish from vibrating. Just not ready to do the whole car with the 4'' pad kit on my drill. Rick

No problem...and I wouldn't use the 4" on the drill of the whole car....too much work and too many opportunities to make things worse...once you get all squared away you will love the PC.

I am watching the mark I put on the pad adapter and it does not spin around like in the junkman vidios. It does not move.? I am working By hand in the hard to reach areas so to weekend is not a total waist untill I find out what is wrong. Rick

I am watching the mark I put on the pad adapter and it does not spin around like in the junkman vidios. It does not move.? I am working By hand in the hard to reach areas so to weekend is not a total waist untill I find out what is wrong. Rick

What speed setting do you have it on? It sounds like you have the speed set to 1. It definitely won't spin at that speed. Get back to me with that info.

What speed setting do you have it on? It sounds like you have the speed set to 1. It definitely won't spin at that speed. Get back to me with that info.

SPEED....ARGH!!! There's something I forgot!! Me still grasshoppa, you still masta. :pc:

Started at 3 then to 5. There:help: is a black plastic washer on the backing plate I have had it on and off about 4 times making sure everything is tight. Spins super free before you try to use it the it will not spin. I even tried to lift weight off of just the machine it then starts to rotate but if I let just the weight of the machine it will not rotate at all. Not right from all the vidios I have watched. something wrong with it. Rick

I do not have the warhouse numbers. I have the shipping reciept. but that is it. I checked it again for the washer and even tried a different washer and same results, it will not rotate under any weight at all just vibrates. Rick Thank you for all the help. you guys are great.

If you turn it on without pushing on a surface, it does more than rotate...it FLIES! ... Did you confirm that the counterweight is installed? Be that as it may, take advantage of Adams 110% guarantee and get a new one. You'll be polishing by the weekend.

Archived