Customer Service 866.965.0400

washing after claying

angermgmt14

Question

14 answers to this question

The working conditions that you are performing a detailing regiment is key in deciding what to do. However, understanding WHY you do something is way more important in your case, than WHAT you're doing. Follow my logic here.

The process of claying is to remove all of the contaminates off the surface of the car. If claying is done in a controlled environment (i.e. a garage or other enclosed area), you won't have to worry about the surface of the car being too hot which causes the clay to actually come apart in pieces and deposit or smear all over the car. It also keeps dust and dirt from blowing onto the car which can stick to the still wet Detail Spray. If done outside in your driveway on a hot surface, all of these foreign particles could get caught up in your pad when you start the swirl and scratch removal process which could lead to some not so favorable circumstances. If you notice in the claying video that Adam does, it is in a controlled environment in which all of these concerns are of no issue. He has years of experience and can get away with things that you as a novice may not be able to pull off.

Another reason that I like to wash the car after I finish claying it is that I want to see a clean palette of the area in which I am working. I don't want to see what I thought was a scratch, when it turns out that it was only dried up detail spray. Thus, I wash the car after claying.

All of this is to say that you should NOT do something because that's the way someone told you to do it, you should seek the understanding of WHY that individual does it that way. For me, there's a method and reason to all of my madness. I don't do something because "that's the way you should do it", there is a reason behind EVERYTHING I do. The same can be said for the way Adam does it.

Look at it this way. The posted speed limit on a freeway in New York may be 55Mph. If there is 5 feet of snow covering that freeway, you are not going to be driving 55Mph. Why, because it is not safe. There is no posted sign that says, "55Mph, unless there is 5 feet of snow" on the side of the road, however, you have the common sense to understand why driving that fast is dangerous to you and others on the road. If your son or daughter were to ask you why you are not driving 55, you wouldn't say, "Because my daddy told me not to". You would explain the reason for your slower speed due to your understanding of the adverse consequences of driving too fast under those conditions. In other words, there is a "method to your madness".

Do not just gain an understanding of what needs to be done, also seek an understanding as to why and when something needs to be done. Doing so makes detailing a much more "no-brainer" activity instead of a "follow the flow chart" activity.

Does that clear it up for ya'? :)

Thx Junkman, I do understand the "why it's done in a certain environment" But for those less fortunate and do not have the "perfect environment" I want to do what is BEST to get the somewhat "BEST" results in a "not so perfect environment" I know I won't achieve perfection due to my constraints, I just want to do the best with what I got. (that's what all the gals say, anyways!..lol!) This is why I'm looking for advice from those members who may be in the same boat as me. I love my car and if I could I would build a garage for it, but I can't afford that. So I want to do the best that I can for my "baby"

With that being said, my other "dilemma" is the sun. I took a vacation this week so I could, among other things, detail the car. My luck is that it's supposed to be sunny ALL WEEK! (usually that's a good thing) so I only have a few hrs in the AM and a few hrs in the PM to do this. I washed her thoroughly today, so my thinking is get up early tomorrow, do a DS of the entire car, then clay the entire car and wash her down. Then in the early PM, after the sun is down, do another DS of the entire car and do the SHR, RP, and BW? Does that sound okay under the circumstances?

Yes, that is a safe route to go. Now there is something to consider. When I do the car show circuit, I work directly in the sun. There is no shade for me to hide in AND still see all the paint damage. Thus, there is a way to work in the sun and that is something that you can learn by attending one of the detailing clinics in your area. How close are you to New Jersey?

Not that close. I'm in Massachusetts. I am waiting to see if there will be one in my area. I would definitely like to go to one. If you know of one coming up in my area please let me know. For now I will go with the advice you have given me and I will let you know my results. Thanks for your time and patience with the "Newbie" You and the members that I have gotten advice from have been awesome!! I like a forum where even though the ? may have been answered a zillion times, the members have no problem in giving the avice again and again and again and......

... I like a forum where even though the ? may have been answered a zillion times, the members have no problem in giving the avice again and again and again and......

That is the way of Adam that we have adopted as members here. We would like to think that your experience with every aspect of Adam's Polishes to be one that you would want to share with others. It is Adam's passion that trickles down to the rest of us and if you ever get the opportunity to meet him, do so. It will all make sense the moment you shake his hand. :)

I'd say its ok to leave it on. Here's my thinking:

SHR is going to do far more "damage" to the paint than clay will (or any residue). Remember, clay does not remove swirls, it removes contaminants...Its just not that abrasive.

As long as you are wiping each section with a MF towel while claying (to remove the leftover DS), there's probably not much left on the paint anyway when you go to the SHR step.

If you weren't going to do the SHR, I'd say wash again, then wax.

JMHO.

And now for the official answer..............:lolsmack:

I say go with whatever you feel comfortable with. I prefer to either wipe off each section after I clay, or do the whole car and then wash it. I just like to have a clean car before starting to polish, but that's just my preference.

Joey, thx for your answer. Here's my dilemma: I don't have a garage so I have to detail in the driveway. I washed and dried her this morning before the sun got strong. Didn't get to clay the car. If I've let the car sit outside without driving, when the sun stops hitting the car, can I just go ahead and clay it then? If yes, then what you are saying about the claying process is to just do one area at a time (clay trunk, wipe down-clay hood, wipe down, etc...)not actually wash (foam gun)? Then after claying the whole car, start my SHR, RP, & BW process.

I have faced similar dilemmas - short time slots. I would say that it depends on how much time you have available and how much work you are going to have to do. Maybe you could say "I want to finish the trunk top and hood" and take those three completely through the process. They are usually pretty flat and good places to start trying out the PC.

I wipe down the finish after I clay (because I check it with the baggie again and again to determine if it is really bump-free - I check it dry). Works for me.

If you're doing this outside or in the sun for whatever reason (ideally you shouldn't) then I would rewash after claying so the detail spray does not dry on the paint. I work in a garage, and I still don't leave the clay residue on before moving onto polish - I just mop up the majority of it with my drying towel.

Archived