Customer Service 866.965.0400

Moving... UGH!!

RyGo

I'm sitting on my balcony (possibly for the last time). I'm taking a break! Got my Pepsi next to me & skimming through the new posts.

My family and I are moving, as the title states. This all may seem a little scatter brained but please bear with me. I've been up for almost 4 days.

This is the 1st place I ever bought on my own. My wife and I got married 7 months after I bought it. We've been through ALOT since moving in. She finished her degree, we had both our girls (now 3 & 1), so much more I can't sit and type it all!!

This place was fairly far from where "home" used to be. God bless my parents who faithfully drove 70 miles (each way) every Thursday to get their Gramma & Gramps time with our girls. The distance was too great for most of our other family members to visit very often. We made every attempt to be at family gatherings to keep in touch.

We are leaving the first little friends that my girls have, we leaving a church that we all enjoyed being a part of, and obviously our friends that we see the most frequently.

It's not all gloom & doom though. We are moving into a house we love, IT'S AMAZING!! In a time where so many people are hurting, and forced to leave their residence - we are leaving by choice. The new house has a beautiful yard, a 3 car garage (upgrading from my single), and we're told 15 kids between the ages of 6 & 1 (lots of new friends for the girls). The "kid factor" is huge for us because it's a dead end road (no through traffic) and it also means the other parents are mindful of stray balls that roll out and such.

Right now I'm cleaning the condo for the person who will be renting it from us. With the market the way that it is here I'd never get a reasonable price for it, so for the time being I'll be a landlord.

I'll post more as we go, gotta get back to it! Thanks for the break, and reading.

Thanks Ryan.

Forgot to post why the UGH!!

As it turns out some of my friends are weak, lazy, and useless. The reason I've been on the go for 4 days is because I've done just about everything myself! I don't recommend this to anyone!! Taking sectional couches, king size beds, dressers, etc down 17 steps (this place is an elevated ranch) by yourself is a daunting task. Of course I've gotten tons of comments from the neighbors!! "good thing you lift all those weights". Which is another UGH. I have a full gym that was in the garage that I had to move. 6 machines, bench, squat rack, dumb bells (2 of each from 5lbs - 90lbs), and barbell plates totalling 850 lbs.

Apparently (according to my wife) I did things backwards. I took as much little stuff as I could fit in 5 trips of my vehicles, then rented a big truck for the rest.

On to the last UGH of the night... I get to move all this stuff out of storage in a week. Because that's when we close on the new place.

So where in Michigan did you move to? You should have hit up the Adams network I am sure someone was close and would have helped you move. If your in the South West area of Michigan I would have helped.

Good luck to you in a new chapter of your life.

Congrats on the new home...and yes, it's bittersweet leaving the First home for your family but it will be worth it in the end.

on the UGH part...deja vue is hitting me hard. I am actually moving in a couple weeks and I had friends all lined up and when they found out I lived in the 3rd floor of an apt complex they said they didnt want to help because of the stairs. Keep in mind I have a 1 bedroom so my "heavy" furniture isn't that much. Obviously I can't do it on my own so I posted up on my TBSS forum and all of a sudden I have five guys and four trucks. Sometimes I think these folks online are a little more dependable than your "real" friends.

Good luck in the new place and I hope everything works out!

Congrats to you and your family. Sometimes a change of pace in life is a good thing. Your girls will have a yard to play in, new surroundings and new friends which is awesome. The dead end road is perfect and it sounds like a block party to me. :D

I am also going to make a big move this summer. We can't sell our house because of all the foreclosures in our area so we will also rent out our current home. I am not really wanting to become a landlord but what do you do in times like these??

I HATE moving... I'm glad I could afford to and did buy a 3 bedroom house with a 2 car when I bought my first home...

I JUST got married and my wife is now prego. We're redoing the upstairs now so the WHOLE house is done before September.

I'm not looking forward to moving all the crap around upstairs, let alone moving a WHOLE house!

Ugh...

Good luck and congrats on the new home... I'm sure you'll look back and wonder why you were worried. Sounds like a great move UP!:)

Chris

Yea moving sucks, we did it last summer and we'd lived there for 12 years and accumulated a lot of stuff. Moved to a house 1/5 the size and are started construction soon on the new one (Hmm maybe I'll make a thread so people can watch a house be built). Something that saved us was having a 30' enclosed snowmobile trailer for moving big and little stuff. We made like 8 trips with it and also filled up the pickup truck bed and whatnot. We had to move 4 kingsize mattresses, 2 being 'normal' ones and the others being a tempurpedic and one a pillowtop. That was the worst part of the move for me as I've never lifted a mattress that heavy in my life and it was downstairs (had to come upstairs). I feel for ya as we just had a few people helping us.

Going the other way though if I show up to help you move that means I REALLY like you :)

Congrats on the whole "family" thing Ryan. Moving is just part of life when you're married. You didn't mention if your move is bringing you closer to the grandparents. Hope it is for their sakes. Once you're all moved in, it'll be worth it. Hang in there bud. :cheers:

Rich, to answer your grandparents question… yes we will be closer. Actually closer to both sets of grandparents - hopefully my wife's parents will be able to see the girls more frequently now.

We've had a long process through this moving stuff. We had a bid on a short sale that after 7 months we were done waiting for it, so we withdrew that offer. Kind of a blessing I think because that would've moved us further away from everyone. Then we had the babys 1st bday at 1 of the grandparents' house and it was so nice to watch the cousins playing that we decided to look closer to the families.

Now the new place will be close enough that there's no excuse for anybody not to visit. But far away enough that there's no unannounced pop ins (lol).

Rich, to answer your grandparents question… yes we will be closer. Actually closer to both sets of grandparents - hopefully my wife's parents will be able to see the girls more frequently now.

We've had a long process through this moving stuff. We had a bid on a short sale that after 7 months we were done waiting for it, so we withdrew that offer. Kind of a blessing I think because that would've moved us further away from everyone. Then we had the babys 1st bday at 1 of the grandparents' house and it was so nice to watch the cousins playing that we decided to look closer to the families.

Now the new place will be close enough that there's no excuse for anybody not to visit. But far away enough that there's no unannounced pop ins (lol).

I'm going to estimate that distance @ 27 miles :banana:

12 to my parents. 14 to hers. 17 to my brother. All triangulated (lol). And we're not "on the way" to anything they go to regularly. We didn't want any EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND houses! :lol:

12 to my parents. 14 to hers. 17 to my brother. All triangulated (lol). And we're not "on the way" to anything they go to regularly. We didn't want any EVERYBODY LOVES RAYMOND houses! :lol:

Lucky you my friend, my in-laws live 2 blocks down, my wifes' cousin's live within 1/2 mile, and my wife's best friend from high school lives so close I can throw a rock an hit their house... It sucks everyone drops by at the drop of a dime, but when my wife wasn't feeling good a couple of weeks ago after giving birth to our daughter. I knew something was wrong because my wife couldn't even hold herself up the pain was so bad; it was great to have a support team close by to watch the baby while i rushed my wife to the hospital.. She's ok now but I'm glad I took her because she had a nasty infection from the delivery process. However on a side note I can confirm the Camaro does well @ 100+mph :D My wife knows we were going fast, but not how fast; I'll keep the actual speeds to myself.

There are few time in life when its ok to drive it like you stole it; hospital trips are one of those times.

Glad she's ok after the complications!!! I can relate as my wife was high risk pregnancies. And 4 days after our 2nd ... the Dr tells her she's going to be prepped for surgery - we both looked at each other then at the same time chuckled to him "we have our baby ... remember?" he said (with a straight face) that her appendix had to come out.

Glad she's ok after the complications!!! I can relate as my wife was high risk pregnancies. And 4 days after our 2nd ... the Dr tells her she's going to be prepped for surgery - we both looked at each other then at the same time chuckled to him "we have our baby ... remember?" he said (with a straight face) that her appendix had to come out.

Well thats no good. Is she doing fine now?

I couldn't imagine having that many family members in that small of an area. 90% of mine living in pretty much a 20 miles circle from where I am (I'm on the edge of the circle ;))

So where in Michigan did you move to?

Good luck to you in a new chapter of your life.

The new house will be SE Michigan, near the Ohio border. If I had to guess, I'd say we'll be closer to Toledo than Detroit.

Oh the WOES of moving. We will be moving hopefully in about a month.We have been in this house or 31 years and have a very unhealthy collection of junk and whatever. I really dread the thought of having to sort out all that goes to the new place and what goes to the dump. Certainly not a one weekend job. But my new shop will be a real dream place, 60'x90'. Hope I have enough room . :help:

• 4 weeks later...

So it's been a little while since I updated this thread. Here's where I stand now.

We did close on the new house & all went nicely. We took posession on May 1st, because we allowed the previous owners 2 weeks of occupancy.

The new place is fantastic!!! Very little had / has to be done to accomplish our taste in decorating. Meaning no overwhelming paint jobs or colossal flooring tasks.

As of this posting time we are still waiting for some of the furniture to be delivered. We had to purchase quite a bit to fill the house since the square footage is almost triple that of the condo we moved out of. Things like the bedroom & office furniture I was able to bring home and assemble myself - but obviously I can't do the La-Z-Boy stuff. LoL. We did already get our washer & dryer (those were the only appliances we had to get, the rest were in place).

It's still a little Helter Skelter around here - searching what remains of the boxes for some specific items. All in all though we're fairly squared away. I will reserve the picture posting until most things have a place (and are in it).

Thanks for the comments, and thanks for checking in on me again.

Archived