Customer Service 866.965.0400

Different colors of clay

Devin04

Question

8 answers to this question

There are different grades, but you can't really grade them by color. From what I understand there isn't an industry standard set yet. But I've seen fine, medium and aggressive for sale, at various venues. The colors always seem to vary. But be careful with the agressive, I have read that it can cause marring.

Here what Adam posted.....

Thanks, and in fact, Meg's and Mother's sell 80g (2.7oz) bars. We sell a 180g (6.4oz) bar. The manufacturer is all the same, Auto Magic. They sued everyone else out of business over a patent battle, so until 2011, the clay available in the USA is, "Fine, Med, or Aggressive."

Color doesn't matter, and most retailers sell only the fine grade clay. Medium and Aggressive clay are for body shops, and often must be followed with a rotary buffer, as the aggressive clay usually scratches.

Meguiar's did make a white clay bar which seemed extra gummy, and stuck to my fingers when I tried it. Maybe someone here can explain why that bar was such a bummer to use??

Most others are now very, very similar. If you Mother's bar works for you, and you don't mind the size, keep using it!

-Adam;)

I thought the same about meguiars also. I have tried mothers, meguiars, and clay magic and i prefer either clay magic or mothers. Mothers has a softer feel to it but it feels better to me while the clay magic feels good its feel like its harder than mothers. Mothers is easy to kneed to hide contaminants. I have yet to give Adams clay a shot though so I cannot comment on it.

Thanks for the info. This isn't why I asked, but a while back I showed a friend how to clay his car and it left what we thought was marring when really it was just some of the clay sticking to the paint imperfections due to a bad lube.

I have used the G brand of clay and then Adams. The G brand broke down in my hands and melted... My hands would be yellow with clay by the end of a detailing. With Adams I have ZERO issues with that. In fact I have a BRAND NEW bar of the G brand in the basement that I won't use because of it. It's sealed up still!

Chris

For my friends car I used Griot's speed shine detailer as lube with Adam's clay bar bc that's what my friend had at the time. Turns out that speed shine makes horrible lube. I used Adam's DS and a clay bar and could see the blue clay on my clay bar, pulling it off of his car.

Archived