Customer Service 866.965.0400

Chronicles of a G8 Detail

Chewy

Question

Ok all,

So I set off on Saturday to get this thing cleaned and ready for the summer. My wife thought I was nuts last year for spending 12 hours on it. My goal this year was to make her think I need committed. So on Saturday I grabbed three buckets all with grit guards in them and set out to clean her. (the car... Not the wife)

I only have two Adams buckets so I found a an old wide bottomed bucket where the grit guard went nearly to the bottom. 2 were filled with straight water and one with Dawn and water. They were also dumped out mid wash and refilled.

I also used my foam applicator filled with Dawn and water.

This car was VERY dirty. It hadn't been hand washed since 11/06/09. I did however take it through touchless washes that blow dry so NO hands had touched the paint other than a rogue accidental brush against it here and there. Remember... This is my DD so it's not perfect.

So I washed it (took about 2 hours) using a new jumbo wash pad, wheel well brush, bores hair wheel brush, and A LOT of water. Then I dried it using a great white drying towel and some DS. The results were amazing... From afar... Up close it's a disaster. :willy:

The paint is actually pretty decent but there are some very slight scratches in the top surfaces with some longer scratches which I assume came from rogue rocks and salt. :confused:

So I set out with my 3M adhesive remover and a cheap MF towel to remove ALL the tar and oil from behind the wheels and sides of the car. This is MUCH better than making the clay do it all for you.

After removing the tar I set off with a hunk of Adams clay and a bottle of DS. It took a whole bottle of DS to get it done but it came out VERY nice IMO. The pics you'll see below have the DS dried on the car. No big deal... I PC through it. :)

So now for the "fun" stuff...

I grabbed the PC a white pad and tried out some FMP on the hood... Nope... Going to need the orange pad. I stuffed the white pad into a ziplock to keep it fresh and went to work. After a couple hours on the hood I think I have it.

Went to the top of the car... DANG! It was BAD up there... 3 hours and bam! Done...

Trunk and C pillars... 3 hours... Bam... Done.

Now ALL I have is the sides, back and nose of the car. The nose has a clear bra so I intend to just use clear polish and an MF applicator on it.

The sides of the car are pretty bad so it will take me at least the rest of this week to complete it.

So I am driving the truck this week... :2thumbs: The car is parked in the middle of the garage.

Cheers all and sorry for the LONG post.

Chris

Photos are in order... All pre-clean and the last one are the buckets set and ready...

More to come in a second

• Answers 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately I am not going to make it Friday night. I have class until 3:15 Friday afternoon and I am three hours away. Also things are very busy right now. I will look for you on Saturday for sure. Maybe we can park on the end in the shade and our cars will look perfect. :lol:

OUT-FREAKIN'-STANDING! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

That means a TON coming from you AJ... :bow: I know it won't be perfect but for a DD... It'll be better than 99.9% of them out there I bet. Especially here.

Very good work!!! Black is one of the harder colors to work (or so I've heard). Is yours a metallic black or black granite? Either way it's one sexy color! :D

It's called Panther Black and it is a metallic black. It's a pretty color but the metallic some how makes the paint lose depth.:o

I bought it because I thought it may disguise the swirls better... NOPE! Don't kid yourself... Black is black...

Thanks,

Chris

OK so I tackled a little more last night after our walk so I only had about an hour and a half to get this done before annoying the neighbors became a concern. Everything inside the blue tape was done and all with the 4" pads.

What you'll see in these pics are after SHR, and then after FMP as well as how the pads look after doing the whole job. I don't think anyone's ever posted a picture of the used pads so that people can see what they SHOULD look like after correcting. In the picture after the SHR you'll see it's not corrected 100% but all the big stuff is gone. In the picture after the FMP you'll see it's pretty good. I'm not going for flawless here as it IS my DD. :( If I was a critic I would say it needs another going over with FMP as it's not perfect perfect.

I then spritzed some DS on all three pads and put them in a Ziploc® vacuum bag and sucked some of the air out. I plan to do more tonight and saw no reason to clean and dry them.

Ok I know the yellow pad is stained... Honestly I don't know with what but something tells me it was car wash...:o I used the yellow pad only on the deep scratches. The back of this car is really bad. :(

Anyway... Enjoy

Lookin good so far......I'm gonna keep visiting this thread, it's gonna be my self motivation when it comes time to do my Panther Black GXP in a couple weeks. This will be its first full correction since I bought the car last july....:willy:

Keep posting updates :thumbsup:

You don't want to seal those pads in those bags while they are damp by the least amount. They will mold.

I'm going to use them tonight. I'm not overly worried about that.

I would NEVER seal them otherwise. Just to keep them primed for tonight. I did this over the weekend with great results.

Chris

Archived