Customer Service 866.965.0400

Is this a trip to the paint booth?

mellon

Question

I just bought this truck about a month ago as a daily driver. Price was right so i couldn't pass it up. I bought it on a rainy day which in most cases i wouldn't have done but the price was good enough for me to not really care. Anyways got it home and this was under the rain spots. Note: this is all over the truck but deeper on the roof and hood. And yes my finger nail does catch. I hit this quarter of the hood with a orange pad and some SHR and it brought the scratches out like mad.

DSC_1209.jpg

DSC_1207.jpgDSC_1208.jpg

13 answers to this question

I'd say paint booth. Looks like the clear has shrunk and cracked. I've seen this before on a Nissan Maxima. Could have been anything... Egg, bird poop, insects, or bad prep, or clear popping from sealing before curing.

the smaller scratches though, seeing as how this is never gonna be a show winner i'm hoping can be wet sanded out. i just don't have any experience doing so. any suggestions? i thought about getting some junk body panels and trying out on them first.

the smaller scratches though, seeing as how this is never gonna be a show winner i'm hoping can be wet sanded out. i just don't have any experience doing so. any suggestions? i thought about getting some junk body panels and trying out on them first.

Can't tell you more how important it is to practice on a POS.

2500 grit and water... Work slow... Get yourself a hard foam rubber pad to strap the paper to so not to have pressure points.

The problem you have is you're going to be taking OFF the clear...

I don't recommend it.

Hey Mellon, what kind of car is it? My Nissan Frontier has the same issues (from my experience they don't wet-sand out :mad: ). My truck looks great from 6 feet, but not so much up close.

That looks rough. I would cry. It appears to be under the clear in the pictures.

i have a good feeling its in the clear, the truck was some what neglected in the cleaning department prior to me getting my hands on it. the other parts of the truck that i haven't touched with the porter cable are harder to see the scratches in.

Hey Mellon, what kind of car is it? My Nissan Frontier has the same issues (from my experience they don't wet-sand out :mad: ). My truck looks great from 6 feet, but not so much up close.

02 blazer, yeah i can wash it off and it looks awesome from 6 feet...but you stick your head down on the paint...and WOO WEE! lol

Well, if it does require a repaint, you can save yourself a ton of cash by prepping it yourself...its not that hard, but you have to pay attention to detail...intensely! And you just might learn something along the way. Granted, my prep was on a a Corvette, so maybe the process is slightly different, but if you are interested I can send you a link to a write up I did.

Then once its painted and cured, you can take care of it properly with Adams :2thumbs:

That is very similar to what I've seen happen when sealants are layered over fresh paint before its fully cured. Generally thats not repairable, even with sanding, because the base coat has failed.

That was my thought as soon as I saw it.

02 blazer, yeah i can wash it off and it looks awesome from 6 feet...but you stick your head down on the paint...and WOO WEE! lol

Good news is you can still get lots of Adam's shine on it! :banana:

I have wetsanded to attempt to remove some other scratches, but it didn't faze those 'flecks' under the clear.

Archived