Customer Service 866.965.0400

Avoid scratches on the interior.

CJ_DK

Question

Many people keep the car key in a ring with other keys. I dont know the english word for that.

But stop during it.

When the key is in ignition the other keys will scratch the entire area around the keyhole.

Even worse is it, if you dont have keyless entry. Then the other keys can damage your paint.

So do like me, everytime I use my car I take out the key, so only the key to the car is in ignition.

Dont do like Junkman in his Camino. I heard there was a lot of keys hanging there, ready to scratch:)

15 answers to this question

Dont do like Junkman in his Camino. I heard there was a lot of keys hanging there, ready to scratch:)

None of mine hit the dash... I MADE my wife remove the 1000 keys she had on her key chain as #1 they hit the dash on her now sold car and #2 the weight will actually hurt the ignition mechanism.

People use key chains on motorcycles all the time which just scratches (the you know what) out of everything around the ignition. I have just a single key.

Good post C!

We need to get you some Adams products to try. Can you order from England? Expensive? Cheap?

AJ has all those keys because he has all those lock boxes with adams products in them... :lolsmack: Don't steal his Adams...:D

I have my key fob and ignition key on a separate ring, my house keys and other things of that nature on another. They share a quick release hook... each time I get in my truck, pull the ignition and keyfob off and leave the rest in the cup holder.

This way theres no dangling keys to smack the dash and hurt things (I know where the OP is coming from on this b/c I hate it too) Its also nice b/c I don't have to carry a wad of keys with me when I'm out and about. The large bundle of keys stay in the car, the ignition and keyfob stay in my pocket.

I have my key fob and ignition key on a separate ring, my house keys and other things of that nature on another. They share a quick release hook..

That's what I do, but not for scratch reasons, I do it so that when I lock my keys up in the car, I can at least go in the house and vice-versa. I am never locked out of both!

So whatcha talkin' about Christina! ;)

A.J - I saw the video with the Camino, when you turn ignition on it sounds like more than one key ;)

You're right, you heard the door key. In old cars like that, they came with one key for the door, and one key for the ignition. You're too young to remember that. Everything else you heard was the ratchet shifter, which gets changed out this week. Apparently, I now need a different one. :rolleyes:

You're right, you heard the door key. In old cars like that, they came with one key for the door, and one key for the ignition. You're too young to remember that. Everything else you heard was the ratchet shifter, which gets changed out this week. Apparently, I now need a different one. :rolleyes:

I heard that - my '78 Datsun has the 2 key system - why don't you give Nissan a call in the morning and see if they can upgrade the Camino to that new touch button system so you don't even need any keys - you just keep this little thing in your pocket that lets you do whatever you need to do with the car but just make sure you're done having children for the rest of your life. :lol:

I heard that - my '78 Datsun has the 2 key system - why don't you give Nissan a call in the morning and see if they can upgrade the Camino to that new touch button system so you don't even need any keys - you just keep this little thing in your pocket that lets you do whatever you need to do with the car but just make sure you're done having children for the rest of your life. :lol:

If I wanted that, I'd trade in my 01' Vette for an 05'! Just more crap to go wrong!

Here's another good reason for not having too many keys on your key ring. Over time, the additional weight on the ignition will actually damage it. It will slowly deform the internal components, causing the key to fit losely, and in time you'll have difficulty in getting the key to work. It's cost a lot of $$$$$ to get the ignition replaced and re-keyed. You have two guesses on how I found this out...

Archived