Customer Service 866.965.0400

Other uses for glass sealant

Team Adam's

Question

So I've been playing with the glass sealant a good amount to see where else it might be useful. As you can imagine its excellent on glass shower doors, bathroom mirrors, and generally anything with glass.

Today I officially concluded its properties simply do not bond well with wheels. The chrome wheels of my wifes Equinox were the testbed and I will say that MSW produces much better durability. The glass sealant just didn't seem to hold up very well over a few weeks of driving. The buildup of brake dust and road grime was visually noticeable on the glass sealant treated areas versus the MSW treated areas.

I think its safe to assume the same will be true of any painted panels, that will be my next test round.

Today I applied glass sealant to all my sunglasses and eye glasses... the results were great and they're much easier to clean. :glasses:

It also makes an excellent granite sealant if you have granite countertops in your kitchen or bath.

More playing to do with this stuff, but so far I'm liking the results on almost everything I try it on. AND I STILL HAVE A LITTLE BIT OF MY FIRST BOTTLE LEFT!! :2thumbs:

It also makes an excellent granite sealant if you have granite countertops in your kitchen or bath.

:2thumbs:

You have to be very careful when applying chemicals to countertops, especially granite, if you are using the countertop for food preparation, the chemicals sometimes leach into the food. Just a thought.

has anyone tried it on headlight lenses after swirl and haze? sure might help after the protective coating is buffed off.

Glass lenses I'm sure it'd work great, but being that most are plastic I think MSW still might be the one to go with.

In another thread, it was said NOT to use the sealant on plastic. What if the lens in your glasses are plastic? The glasses I wear have the scratch resistance coating, plus they're transition lens.

If your unsure I'd not do it, we can't really predict the consequences on materials like that. My eye glasses don't have the additional coatings so I didn't have that concern. As for plastic, so far I've used it on my sunglasses, my blackberry, and all kinds of plastic materials without any ill results so take it for what its worth.

i might have missed it elsewhere, but how often should the glass sealant be applied to a normal daily driver that sits outside 24/7 versus a car that is garage kept, only out on the weekends and very rarely sees rain?

The label reads "Re-apply every 4 months or 200 miles of rain/snow driving."

i might have missed it elsewhere, but how often should the glass sealant be applied to a normal daily driver that sits outside 24/7 versus a car that is garage kept, only out on the weekends and very rarely sees rain?

Oh I agree but alot of people with Granite use them for EVERYTHING. I have had people who have bought home I have built think they are actually a chopping block and used meat cleavers on them.:(

And then wonder why they chipped, LOL

As a 9 year vet of the food industry, seeing anyone use granite or glass as a cutting board makes me cringe. What a fantastic way to destroy your knives, one of my old friends destroyed a entire set of J.A. Henckles Pro S series knives... What a waste!

Oh I agree but alot of people with Granite use them for EVERYTHING. I have had people who have bought home I have built think they are actually a chopping block and used meat cleavers on them.:(

And then wonder why they chipped, LOL

You have to be very careful when applying chemicals to countertops, especially granite, if you are using the countertop for food preparation, the chemicals sometimes leach into the food. Just a thought.

I would never prep food directly on my counters... always use a cutting board.

Well techincally it's made for this but I'm probably the only one to use it like this. As a few of you know my family farms and if any of you have ever had any experience farming you know it's a dirty dusty job. We are constantly cleaning windows on the tractors, in fact it's the first thing that happens every day. It's a chore and with today's giant tractors it's a lot of climbing, leaning, stretching, etc. So I decided to see if the new glass sealant would make it so we could just hose the windows down in the morning and get all the dust off. We've tried it before without sealant and it usually just makes the windows a mess because the fine soil just sticks them and clumps together when wet.

I'm happy to report that after treating with glass cleaner that does not happen. The next morning not only was their less dust then normal on the windows but a simple spray with just the garden hose, not even the power washer, restored the windows to crystal clear finish. We then proceeded to apply glass sealant to the rest of the tractors. lol

I can't wait to try it this fall on the combine to see how it handles corn dust.

Be aware that most glasses have a non scratch coating on them. Adam has NEVER claimed that it's safe for such. Just don't want people thinking this is like water and safe for everything...

Chris

Good point Chris.

I have applied it to my glasses, but they do not have the scratch resistant coating. I'd anticipate there wouldn't be an issue, but if you have any hesitation about trying it... DON'T.

My blackberry actually worked out pretty good. When I get finger prints on it now and wipe them off with my t-shirt or something they come off clean instead of just smearing around.

Be aware that most glasses have a non scratch coating on them. Adam has NEVER claimed that it's safe for such. Just don't want people thinking this is like water and safe for everything...

Chris

buff out my blackberry and ipods and apply a coat of sealant.

How did the BlackBerry do Dylan? I have mine here on my desk looking at it.

I was wondering about sunglasses and glasses. I will do my Oakley tomorrow and my glasses too. (I just need to get use to wearing my contact all the time).

Archived