Customer Service 866.965.0400

Confused about Pads/Products after Watching Videos

LinPark

Question

Alright, I need some help - I watched both Adam's videos and AJ's videos and here is what I gathered:

Orange Pad - Orange Product (Swirl & Haze Remover)

White Pad - White Product (Fine Machine Polish)

Grey Pad - Grey Product (Machine SuperWax)

Easy right? But then later, I believe I heard Adam state that the Orange Pad is more aggressive than the White Pad and I thought AJ said that Swirl & Haze Remover is less aggressive than Fine Machine Polish.

So why pair the less aggressive paste with the more aggressive pad?

I am hoping that my kit arrives this weekend and I'm going to be doing a first time detail on a 2010 Dark Cherry 370Z (planning on posting up some before and after pics). The car has some swirl marks on it straight from the dealer so I'm looking on advice for how to start this project. After watching all the videos, I am tempted to start first with a Detail Spray spritzed White Pad and Swirl & Haze Remover. Does anyone have experience working on newer Nissan's that could give me a clue as to whether or not I am headed in the right direction?

Thanks! :pc:

Just going off your pictures, I would try the white pad with FMP, and then follow that up with BSG, that should do the trick. I got bored one day and washed my truck with a brush from a car wash, just to put swirls in the paint and the white pad and FMP took them right out. Hope this helps. Nice looking Nissan by the way.

Just going off your pictures, I would try the white pad with FMP, and then follow that up with BSG, that should do the trick. I got bored one day and washed my truck with a brush from a car wash, just to put swirls in the paint and the white pad and FMP took them right out. Hope this helps. Nice looking Nissan by the way.

FMP will work if the car has already been paint corrected or if the damage is very young. Other than that, SHR is going to be the first step. The wax that you want to use after that is either going to be the Americana, the Machine Superwax or the Buttery Wax. BSG is not what you would use after polishing. It is best used on top of existing wax.

That is a nice set of cars, sorta the ultimate before and after thing.......LOL

Just remember the first rule of nice cars, park far enough out in the boondocks that you need to pack a lunch to cover the walk, because sure as death and taxes someone will park their junk close to your ride.

Hopefully not as close as in this pic!!

IMG_13452.jpg

:willy::willy::willy:

Thanks for the tips - all cleared up now. Once the kit arrives and the car gets washed, I'm going to try the white pad with FMP followed by the Revive (since its a dark car) and then the MSW. I'll post back how it goes.

Thanks again!!!!!

She was parking her car, the Honda, and I guess she figured that so long as she could open her door all was good. Apparently she was very adament that the scratch on the front of his rear view mirror was not her fault.............

The owner of the 370Z got to watch it happen as he headed back to his car.

The whole story is over at THE370z.com, but I didn't link it since the thread very quickly becomes non family friendly.

One strange note though, the folks at the gencoupe web forum where I found the story seemed much more irrate over this than the folks at THE370Z.com

can you PM the link too, if possible?

She was parking her car, the Honda, and I guess she figured that so long as she could open her door all was good. Apparently she was very adament that the scratch on the front of his rear view mirror was not her fault.............

The owner of the 370Z got to watch it happen as he headed back to his car.

The whole story is over at THE370z.com, but I didn't link it since the thread very quickly becomes non family friendly.

One strange note though, the folks at the gencoupe web forum where I found the story seemed much more irrate over this than the folks at THE370Z.com

Well, I can give you my opinion. The pad colors and product color is not a written in stone rule. You may find you prefer to use a different pad with the product. I personally do not use swirl and haze remover on a newer car that is not faded or dull. After claybar I jump right to fine machine polish,and I use the orange pad. Then I follow that with MSW on the gray pad. I, have found the orange pad to be my pad of choice for the fine machine polish. :thumbsup:

If you do it like either of them tell you it'll work. I use the color coding for now to keep it easy and it works. That being said, if your paint isn't that bad you may be able to get away with just the white pad and FMP or just the Orange pad and FMP.

Different strokes for different folks but the color coding DOES work.

Chris

That is a sweet looking Z and I love the color!

Thanks! Here's a pic of her great grandma:

picture.php?albumid=327&pictureid=1835

And another one of my fave pics:

picture.php?albumid=327&pictureid=1836

EDIT: Just checked on my order and it shipped today but looks like the D/A swirl killer pad is on back order - looks like its the white pad all the way on this first venture.

If you take a look at the thread where AJ has his video series posted this note is highlighted in RED directly below the video where he makes that statement.

Important Note: In my experience with using both the SHR and FMP, I have found that FMP did more to remove swirls and scratches than SHR. This is in direct conflict to what is stated in the Adam's website, and in the makeup of both products. In fact, the SHR is actually the more aggressive compound when you look at the molecule makeup. The reason I may have experienced different results could have been due to a multitude of factors including temperature, the condition or hardness of the clear coat that I was dealing with, or the amount of damage that I perceived was on the car.

With that said, you should follow the posted information on the website and assume that the SHR is more aggressive than the FMP. If in your comparisons you experience something similar to what I did, post your experiences here. Normal use according to the posted instructions will have you follow SHR with FMP, in order to lessen the damage done by SHR. You can try my technique, but you should follow Adam's instructions if you don't have the success that I did. Remember, Adam knows his products in a whole lot more detail than I do! The more I use them, the more I learn and thus my process will constantly evolve and improve.

I have a new Nissan Titan Black, you really need to clay first, then I would move to FMP and the white pad. I don't know about the 370Z but my Titan's clear coat is soft, so I would start out with the least aggressive method if possible.

Is Nissan using that same clear coat Infinity uses where when it gets hot it reduces the swirls? I guess its effects last 3 years but my Bro's 1 year old G has swirls all over it, so I don't think that's the case... lol

Chris

I've seen more than a few of these new supposed self healing paint jobs up close now, all of them have been heavily swirled. So either its a VERY slow process or someone came up with a nice gimmick to talk about at the dealership.

"self healing paint"??? :lol: SOMEONE in marketing got a massive bonus for coming up with THAT lil gem.

Archived