Customer Service 866.965.0400

major failure for my first wash after the detail

03silvss

Question

well after i did my detail i had no swirls just some deeper scratches, ive been driving around for 4 days now and the truck was getting pretty dusty so i figured id wash it. im doin it completely wrong because i put in some swirls:mad:, i was pretty mad but i had to get the truck dry so i kept goin, i had alot of trouble with ds streaking also.

i washed with adams soap with one pad wich i know you guys dont reccomed but the truck wasnt even that dirty then power sprayed it off and used ds but it didnt turn out well. i hate the idea of having to spend an hour or more just to wash the truck, i wish there was an easier way.

i was also thinking if the truck scratches that easy a person who just had there vehicle detailed and doesnt own all these prodcuts would have swirls and water marks the first time they went to wash the vehicle. am i thinking wrond here or wouldnt you be ripping the person off sorta if your work only lasts till they go and wash it and mess it up

11 answers to this question

2 bucket method helps A TON!!! I've not heard of two wash pads though.

Rinse very well and then coat with foam and then wash. I like my pad VERY soapy/foamy.

Chris

Chris I use three wash pads. ONe only goes on the top. One on the doors and fenders, and one for the rockers and lower rear bumper. I just feel it is a little extra protection.

Hmmm... I have three... I just rinse out the pad with water using the hose then into bucket 1 and bucket 2.

Chris

Chris I use three wash pads. ONe only goes on the top. One on the doors and fenders, and one for the rockers and lower rear bumper. I just feel it is a little extra protection.

Never hurts to be cautious. And like Christopher said always 2 bucket with grit guards.:thumbsup:

i filled an adams bucket with adams soap which also had a grit guard, i then went and washed the whole truck with suds in the bucket using the grit guard every once in awhile even though the pad wasnt to dirty, then washed off with and applied ds, did you guys have troubles with ds sorta being hard to get off or could that be cus i was wiping it off in the sun

If the metal is too warm then yes it could cause the ds to streak but make sure when you rinse you do the no nozzle rinse so the water runs down in a sheeting action kinda like the old dishwasher commercials. then ds and wipe down. you could also use some sort of blower to help get most of the water as well then wipe the little bit left.

Multiple wash pads, multiple buckets, and work in shade or at the very least during early morning hours before the sun is harsh -or- in the evening when the sun is less harsh.

Also you should be dunking and scrubbing the pad against the grit guard after each panel, not just every once in a while. Wash top to bottom, complete everything from the roof to the lower body line (on the SSS just below the badges) before moving to the lowest panels.

Don't stress too much... your basically trying to correct a lifetime of bad wash habits in one swoop. If you don't have time to do the whole wash routine correctly or don't feel willing to spend the time to do it correctly DON'T. Rushing thru a wash and doing it improperly is worse than having a dirty truck IMO.

Sure, its frustrating to drive around dirty for a few days if you don't have the time/patience to do it right then, but if you rush thru and do a sloppy job you'll just end up spending more time to fix the problems and do it later anyways.

ya thanks guys i bought some waterless wash the other day to so hopefully that will help me out when the truck isnt that dirty but needs to be cleaned, the proper way to use that would be just to swipe top to bottom? no side to side or circular motion

ya thanks guys i bought some waterless wash the other day to so hopefully that will help me out when the truck isnt that dirty but needs to be cleaned, the proper way to use that would be just to swipe top to bottom? no side to side or circular motion

Junkman has a video on his method thats pretty good take a look at that.

When I use it, like I explained in my PM, I work side to side, start at one end and go all the way across the panel in one direction, flip the towel to a clean spot, repeat on the next part, repeat, repeat... don't so much go for perfection on the first run, just try to knock out as much dust as you can. You can go back later once the dust is off and do touch up work with a fresh towel and DS or WW.

Archived