Customer Service 866.965.0400

best way to make this look better?

blackbeauty89

Question

22 answers to this question

This will do the trick!

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD align=middle width="41%">338.jpg</TD><TD width="59%"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width="54%"> </TD><TD width="46%"> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=redheading1 align=middle colSpan=2>Adam's IMPROVED 7424XP D/A Car Polishing Kit</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold" align=middle colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold" align=middle colSpan=2></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center align=middle colSpan=2><FORM id=AddToCartForm_338_357 style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px" name=AddToCartForm_338_357 onsubmit="return validateForm(this) && AddToCartForm_338_357_Validator(this)" action=addtocart.aspx?returnurl=showcategory.aspx%3fCategoryID%3d12%26SEName%3ddetail-kits method=post> </FORM>

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>Adam's IMPROVED Complete Dual-Action Polishing Kit includes the absolute essentials of our Dual Action Polishing System. Want a swirl-free finish? Start here!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

This will do the trick!

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width="41%" align=middle>338.jpg</TD><TD width="59%"><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD width="54%"></TD><TD width="46%"></TD></TR><TR><TD class=redheading1 colSpan=2 align=middle>Adam's IMPROVED 7424XP D/A Car Polishing Kit</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold" colSpan=2 align=middle></TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold" colSpan=2 align=middle></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=center colSpan=2 align=middle><FORM style="MARGIN-TOP: 0px; MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px" id=AddToCartForm_338_357 onsubmit="return validateForm(this) && AddToCartForm_338_357_Validator(this)" method=post name=AddToCartForm_338_357 action=addtocart.aspx?returnurl=showcategory.aspx%3fCategoryID%3d12%26SEName%3ddetail-kits></FORM>

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>spacer.gif</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>Adam's IMPROVED Complete Dual-Action Polishing Kit includes the absolute essentials of our Dual Action Polishing System. Want a swirl-free finish? Start here!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Drew, this is what I just purchased after years of detailing by hand.(Minus the rubbing compound). I felt the same way about the PC as you do, but after watching all the Adam's and the Junkman videos I felt confident enough. I haven't used it yet as I am waiting on more stuff, but when I do I'm SURE it will be well worth it. Also there is TERRIFIC customer support when you order your products and GREAT help and advice here on the forum. Good Luck and Go For It!!! :2thumbs:

I also was nervous about the first session with the PC. BUT - I have used it a couple of times now, and it IS the swirl removal tool, and it is safe! (I have black paint, so you can imagine that I was a little nervous) No worries - get it, and slay those swirls!

Here's a little trick I learned from Adam. When you get your pc, mark the backing plate with a pen.........just a line. Never start your pc until it's on the vehicle, and apply enough pressure that the line doesn't spin. It's okay if it turns just a little bit, but if that line is spinning, you aren't pressing enough. Don't worry. The pc doesn't get hot and won't burn your paint. Watch the videos from Adam and Junkman. They'll get your car all figured out. And if you have any problems, ask here or give Adam a call. He's always willing to help. :thumbsup:

Drew i was the same way also before buying the PC and i'll never go back to doing my cars again by hand. The only thing i do by hand are all the tight spots and using the APW. Treat yourself to a kit with the PC you wont be sorry trust us.:cheers:

Daniel, can you expand on this? thxs..

All detailers have their own approach to paint correction... like I've said many times before there is no RIGHT or WRONG as long as the results are the same.

Adam tends to go heavy pressure on his corrections, a little more product, but thats more about his background in detailing Coke fleet trucks for money... read the history of Adams threads to understand more about that. Faster turn around, less man hours, etc. Basically its about speed over enjoyment... get it to close to perfect in the least time necessary.

AJ uses a finesse technique. It takes more time to go with AJ's approach, but for the weekend warrior, do it yourself guy, caring for his own personal cars thats usually the preferred method. More for the pleasure detailer, not for the guy looking to detail for dollars. More about the endless pursuit of perfection at all costs, with no time table and no rush.

My method (for those that have been to clinics) falls somewhere in the middle. I share Adam's background in the detailing for dollars area, but in the last few years its been more about "pleasure" detailing and high end/high profile projects where perfection is demanded. I can do both methods and I kind of incorporate parts of both guys routines depending on the application.

Detailing is more art than science, and artists all have their own methods for creating their masterpieces. :2thumbs:

Daniel, can you expand on this? thxs..

Best way to explain it is to watch their videos.

My pads turn. If I pushed hard enough to keep them from turning I'd think I'd be eating pads pretty quick. Mind you it doesn't turn fast. Maybe a revolution every 2 seconds or so? Just a guess. My rule is to push until you hear the motor working a little and go...

Oh yeah! That's pretty bad...

A coat of Revive polish would help a little as it has a little bit of fillers in it, but it wouldn't be a permanent fix.

PC all the way.

Keep in mind it will take hours upon hours of work and if it's a DD may make you cry when you see the scratches show back up... I'm doing my G8 right now. (God only knows why):willy:

Chris

ACK!! Rubbing compound!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :willy:

Thats definitely a job for a PC, pads, and polishes. Check out the mess I corrected on a red Porsche which was probably in just about as bad of shape:

The subject- at first glance, in shade, not so bad:

_DSC0254.jpg

In the sun it was a drastically different story:

_DSC0298.jpg

Some hours later, with a PC, Adams and a little patience we had nearly reach perfection:

_DSC0349.jpg

_DSC0369.jpg

lol so i'm assuming i should ditch the rubbing compound then?

and by PC are you talking about a porter cable buffer? i've never used a buffer before. always afraid i'm gonna make it so much worse. I've always hand buffed everything.

Dude! If I can do it so can you! :thumbsup: Remember the PC is a Dual Action polisher and not a rotary like you're used to seeing and that can easily burn through paint. You can hold a D/A in place for a long long time with no long term damage.

Check out this bit of paint on my G8 for instance. That's my hood which is one of the worst parts on the car. It's also black metallic which is fun! :o It's my DD with 20,000 on the clock. Driven rain shine and snow and ice...;)

lol so i'm assuming i should ditch the rubbing compound then?

and by PC are you talking about a porter cable buffer? i've never used a buffer before. always afraid i'm gonna make it so much worse. I've always hand buffed everything.

As crazy as this is going to sound... the rubbing compound you're using now has a better chance of screwing things up than the porter cable does. The marring in your pictures is evidence of that.

Take a few moments at visit the Junkmans corner here on the forum. Watch the videos and it'll open you eyes a little to how safe and easy it is learn to use a PC. :pc:

You've come to the right place...you'll have your car looking amazing in no time...just listen to all the great advice here and you'll be fine...

Best advice I can give is to perfect (to your standards) a portion of your hood (like 1/4)...then once you have the technique down, do the rest of the car. :thumbsup:

Archived