Customer Service 866.965.0400

Junkman's Latest Car Show Demos

Junkman2008

Question

I got back in town this weekend in time to do a local car show. I showed up with all my gear and sitting in front of my tuner's shop was his dually, which had all kinds of damage on it. This thing had "demo car" written all over it. So I broke out my camera to document the damage.

The truck in question...

drew1.jpg

This thing had the usual swirls...

drew2.jpg

But it had an added jewel... HOLOGRAMS! This is what your paint looks like when a hack with a rotary polisher who doesn't know how to use it gets a hold of your paint!

drew3.jpg

This puppy had scratches galore!

drew4.jpg

drew5.jpg

drew6.jpg

So I went through the usual routine. I did some wet sanding and then broke out some clay, SHR and FMP. That's as far as I got because then it started pouring rain. But notice the fender. The water beads unbelievably. This is why when I'm fixing car, I will not try and complete the whole car in one day if I get tired. There is an element of protection to FMP. It may not be much, but it will easily hold over long enough for me to get the car done.

drew7.jpg

drew8.jpg

drew9.jpg

drew10.jpg

drew11.jpg

drew12.jpg

drew13.jpg

drew14.jpg

So there you are. You can't really see how well it turned out but all was not lost. I got to play in this during the show! You can only see my teeth! :lolsmack:

monster_truck_aj.jpg

The rest of the story is here. :D

21 answers to this question

OK I am SOOOO happy to hear you say that. I haven't touched mine since Sunday as I just didn't care to muck with it. I will hopefully get on it tonight after I cut the grass.

Maybe I'm seeing something but the flash doesn't lie right? ;)

Ah ha! You're being fooled by that picture. What you are seeing is the flash bouncing off the top of the camera lens. Yea, it does look like a scratch but no, that's part of the camera. :thumbsup:

Wha... what spider webs!?

I'm glad someone out there is as slow as me. I take forever and definitely have to be in the mood.

OK I am SOOOO happy to hear you say that. I haven't touched mine since Sunday as I just didn't care to muck with it. I will hopefully get on it tonight after I cut the grass.

Maybe I'm seeing something but the flash doesn't lie right? ;)

...And you can still see the spider webs...

Wha... what spider webs!?

I thought I was slow but I think you and I are pretty close to being the same speed.

Chris

I'm glad someone out there is as slow as me. I take forever and definitely have to be in the mood.

Bet it doesn't work telling yourself that, does it? :D

Only on the plastic parts that are painted. I spent three nights on the rear bumper alone... I HAD to stop... I've come to the conclusion that this is the one and only true correction I will do to a DD. My wife is prego with our 1st and I KNOW I won't have time for this next year.

Chris

For me? A month, easy. No joke. It tool me 3 hours to do that hump in the fender. Just the hump!

Next weekend is my 3rd one on my G8... I am also working at night but I don't work overly hard at it. I take breaks when I want to, or get sick of correcting.

Correcting takes TIME! Lots of TIME!

Chris

For me? A month, easy. No joke. It tool me 3 hours to do that hump in the fender. Just the hump!

And you can still see the spider webs... I thought I was slow but I think you and I are pretty close to being the same speed.

I tend to be a perfectionist though. I just have to keep telling myself. "THIS IS A DAILY DRIVER" as I am polishing.

Chris

I work significantly slower than most people, no matter what I'm doing. I check and recheck everything. I also don't do this for a living so I don't have to work fast in order to pay the bills. Adam says that he details for dollars and that I detail for days. :lol:

Ok, ya see that makes me feel better!

We get so used to seeing things getting done in 30 minute segments on the boob tube. Knowing real world timings make it so much less likely to get bummed out at how long somethig can take. Be it detailing, stripping down an engine or rebuilding an active sonar transmitter......... ;)

Amazing how good something can look from eight feet away, and then you get closer.......LOL

Question! With something as dinged up as that, how many hours do you figure you would put into it to get it straightened away?

Archived