Customer Service 866.965.0400

cigarette smoke

19stang88

Question

wipe down every surface in the car that you can. The smoke film gets on everything.

This...

When done, leave the doors wide open, shut off the lights so the battery don't die, and leave the trunk lid open, and the windows down. Get it so it can completely be aired out.

and this :rockon:

So Here is my plan. Clean the carpet and upholstery and anything that is carpet.spray the carpet with fabreeze. clean the air ducts with the a/c and febreeze method a few times. Change the cabin filter if it has it. Lastly, airing out the car with more febreeze. Is there anything else that i could do to further reduce the smell of cigarette odor? Oh and thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it!:2thumbs:

When done, leave the doors wide open, shut off the lights so the battery don't die, and leave the trunk lid open, and the windows down. Get it so it can completely be aired out.

Tom what kind of filter do oyu use on your interior, and does it get everyday smells out. I am looking for something to use in my car.

The unit I have is a "Natural Air 50" a small unit (3 x 2 1/2 x 1 1/2) that plugs directly into a socket. Most of the time I have it running in our 1/2 bath off the kitchen. It does a reasonable job of cleaning the air.

So Here is my plan. Clean the carpet and upholstery and anything that is carpet.spray the carpet with fabreeze. clean the air ducts with the a/c and febreeze method a few times. Change the cabin filter if it has it. Lastly, airing out the car with more febreeze. Is there anything else that i could do to further reduce the smell of cigarette odor? Oh and thanks for the tips, I really appreciate it!:2thumbs:

One of the best cleaners is the sun (i'm not sure what the weather is like there). I detailed an Xterra that was smoked in and I vacuumed the entire car and wiped down all the panels in the interior and then opened all the doors and the rear hatch and let the car sit out in the sun for a full day. It was amazing what the airing out did for the smell, 75% gone at very least.

i would agree. ive done this when shampooing a car, and airring the car out makes it smell fresher

One of the best cleaners is the sun (i'm not sure what the weather is like there). I detailed an Xterra that was smoked in and I vacuumed the entire car and wiped down all the panels in the interior and then opened all the doors and the rear hatch and let the car sit out in the sun for a full day. It was amazing what the airing out did for the smell, 75% gone at very least.

I was going to say that everyone is forgetting about the air ducts, but that finally came out. It's amazing how much of the smell is caught up in the AC/heat ductwork. Changing the cabinet filter (if there is one) is really helpful.

I bought a car several years ago that smelled terrible from smoke, after cleaning very thoroughly it still smelled bad. Then I had someone tell me that the smell was in the air ducts, I sprayed Febreeze into the ducts and it helped quite a bit. I eventually took the air ducts out and washed them with a hose. I have a small electronic ozone filter that I will occasionally slip into the cars interior with the windows up and make it smell like new. Which reminds me. I ought to do that to the Corvette....:thumbsup:

A tip another detailer passed on to me:

Start car and turn on the A/C full (with recirc on). Spray Febreze into the return ducts and on the carpet under the dash (where the heat outlets are). Let the A/C run for 5 minutes, then shut off car.

I did this with a smoker’s car and after 3 rounds the smoke smell was almost complete gone. Doesn't do much for the embedded smoke, but it helps.

Well in my experience in the past cigarrete smoke can mostly be taken out by just simply airing it out and some febreze. My brother smokes in his cars and when he was gone for boot camp I was driving his car sometimes and I cleaned it really well, vacuumed and all that good stuff threw in some fabric softner sheets and drove it around with the windows down all the time and within a week the smell was gone. Granite he had leather seats but it didnt smell like a smokers car when i got done with it.

what the heck is ozone?

Ozone is O3. Normal breathing oxygen is 02. Basically O3 is three oxygen atoms attached together. In the upper atmosphere these are great as they protect us by blocking ultraviolet rays. IN the lower atmosphere, where we are O3 is a pollutant and can cause inhalation problems, and other negative effects. Apparently O3 is toxic and .01 PPM can be detected by people and will cause headaches and has an odor similar to chlorine. It is also a very strong oxidizer which makes it good for industrial applications, but it is fairly unstable with a half life of about 30 minutes under normal atmosphere conditions.

I asked the Mrs. She suggested this. Try mixing together 1/4 cup of baking soda, 1 tsp. dishwashing soap (not dishwasher soap), and 1/2 cup of borax together in a gallon or so of warm water. Use a sponge, wring it out good in the mixture,and scrub. Leave the windows down if you can overnight. Make sure you scrub everything! Even the trunk and let it dry.

Don't ask me. I'm just the messenger. I can see how that would get rid of some of the smell, but you have to figure it's in the seat foam and everything. Try asking at your local car dealership that also sells used cars. I bet they have some way of getting rid of the smell.

try rubbing about 1,000 of those tree shaped air fresheners all over the car :jester:

i honestly wouldn't know!

:lolsmack: The only thing I can think of that might help is some Febreze. You can spray that on the fabric and probably on the headliner.

Archived