Customer Service 866.965.0400

Best Tint Film - In Your Opinion

icantdrive55

Question

Ready to tint my car 35% all around and have gotten 2 prices, from 2 shops using 2 different products. Based on experience, which product is better overall 3M or Sun Tech? The price difference is only $30.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Mike

17 answers to this question

Tint shops or police stations have the ability to read the percentage. I tint meter will read a little darker usually about 3 to 8% then the tint film actually is because of natural tints in the glass. Your tint looks very dark it is below 20% and probably closer to 5%. Can you see out at night?

It's interesting reading this and doing a little research. Ohio law says 50% tinting max on the driver and passenger side but rears can be darker. I know I wouldn't like that look. I have read good and bad about the 3M Crystalline. Man I don't know what to believe and it sure seems like it is really a matter too of how good the installer in. Decisions, decisions, decisions!!!

When I cleanup detailed at a bodyshop awhile back I remember a recent for the time Caravan having 50% tint on ALL the windows, yet the front doors they left clear. :rolleyes: Made no sense, as you could see right through all the other windows just as easily.:glasses: I never was one for tint the backs and rear window and leave the fronts alone look either.

It's interesting reading this and doing a little research. Ohio law says 50% tinting max on the driver and passenger side but rears can be darker. I know I wouldn't like that look. I have read good and bad about the 3M Crystalline. Man I don't know what to believe and it sure seems like it is really a matter too of how good the installer in. Decisions, decisions, decisions!!!

I wear Transition Lens glasses. When in a car without tinted windows they do not adjust because the OEM factory glass has UV protection built in :glasses: Window film tint may add more protection, however I'm not sure how much. Tinting the windshield just scares me, I couldn't imagine driving at night in fog or a heavy downpour with a tinted windshield! The rear of my wifes Volvo XC70 is 15% and you can't see out to back up at night through it. The Goat is 28% all around:

When I owned the tempo and then the cavalier the shop used Llumar. I'm not going to bother with tinting the impala (more important things on it need done), but next car we get will be getting done. :D

Check out Crystalline tint. It's a 3M product and is approved by a prominent Skin Cancer prevention organization.

It blocks a significant amount of harmful UV rays and has an amazing reduction in thermal load. There are three or four tint levels available.

The cost of materials are a bit more, and installation is more difficult. This makes a higher price. However, the UV and heat reduction elements - in my mind - are worth the extra bucks.

It seems to be a very popular item in the Acura store I work. I am having it installed in my wife's RDX next month. Gotta protect the wife and kids from the UV rays!

Well I've driven by plenty of cops from different cities in 3 different states and haven't been stopped yet. From the inside you can't tell that they are that dark on the outside, so driving at night isn't really an issue. You can see just as well out of the drivers window (tinted) as the windshield (not tinted):

Picture-029.jpg

I have no idea which brand or percentage was done on mine as it was already on the windows when I found it at the dealer, but it's significantly darker than most others I've seen. Is there any way to figure it out??

Yeah there is a way to figure what percentage it is....get pulled over and a cop will gladly tell you and the price of the ticket.

There is a shop here by the name of Automotive Innovations which I am not sure what tint they use exactly but I have had several cars done there with no issues and they come with a lifetime warranty. Maybe Chewy can help me out here. I plan on either going with 30% or 15% I'm having a very hard time deciding oh and im gettin the windshield strip also.

I have no idea which brand or percentage was done on mine as it was already on the windows when I found it at the dealer, but it's significantly darker than most others I've seen. Is there any way to figure it out?? I'm very satisfied with the quality, so if anyone asks me I'd like to be able to tell them :jester:

Picture-015.jpg

Picture-016.jpg

Archived