Customer Service 866.965.0400

my car is a dust magnet!

Darth_Emma

Question

I got my new Camaro this year and I've been trying to keep it nice and shiny. I wash it when needed and have put 2 coats of Americana on it this spring. Between washes, I use a California Duster and Waterless Wash and/or Detail Spray to keep it shiny.

My problem is that my car seems to attract dust like crazy. If I clean it up one evening, the next morning it has dust on it. I clean it up that morning and drive it to work and when I get out to my car to drive home, it's dusty again.

Have I just become obsessive about the cleanliness of my car? (nah, not possible!) Or, am I cleaning it too much and rubbing all the electrons off of it creating an electrostatic charge making it attract dust? Is there a product like "Adam's Antistatic Additive" (AAA) that I can get that will help with my dust problem? Am I asking too many stupid questions and I should just stop typing now? ;)

21 answers to this question

Be very very careful with a swiffer or maybe test it on another car.Something that goes on the floor would scare me on my car.

I'll be very very careful. I won't let anything harm my baby! I was just going to pass it just above the paint and barely barely touch it. (Like I do with the California duster).

Terri, is your car kept outside or do you have a garage? My one car stays outside all year and I keep a car cover on it. I feel it really cuts down on dust and pollen.

It's in the garage. It really helps when it's inside, but we live in the country (LOTS of dust in the air) and our garage is not exactly air tight, so some dust gets in, but not too bad. It's when I take it out and drive it anywhere that I have the most problems.

You can try waterless wash. It cuts down the static charge a little bit.

Yep, I use it. I still have the dust issue.

You think so, you should have black!!:willy::willy:

This is why I didn't get a black one!

I think you folks are right, it's probably pollen giving me the most grief. I saw on TV this morning that we are in an area of "extreme allergy" problems. So, I'm thinking it will improve in a few weeks. In the meantime, I have an excuse to go out and polish my car every day. :)

Thanks to all who have offered suggestions and humor on this topic!

it's been fun watching everyone tweak over the idea of a swiffer on the paint! ;)

I passed out the first time I saw this. I just came to right now, refreshed the thread and was happy to see you decided against it.

I do trust you, AJ. That's why I come here for advice. Thanks for all your help.

The swiffer is now safely tucked away with the other HOUSEhold cleaning supplies.

It think the whole issue is pollen and will improve in the next week or two anyway, but it's been fun watching everyone tweak over the idea of a swiffer on the paint! ;)

I would not allow the Swiffer to touch your paint at all Terri. Also, doesn't those things use some kind of lube?

No pretty much a static charge. Nothing but Adams touches my paint and is still micro mars... Use a blower to get the large amounts off and then maybe some WW.

Chris

Oh great point! It could be pollen. I am hoping it doesn't stay this bad all summer.

I bought some swiffer dusters to see if I can very gently pass one over the surface of the car to help with the problem. My California Duster picks up most of the dust, but I'm wondering if the swiffers might help stop it from recurring. I'm just experimenting.

I would not allow the Swiffer to touch your paint at all Terri. Also, doesn't those things use some kind of lube?

Our Audi Q7 TDI is metallic black. It stays in the garage except when driving. Just taking it for a drive gets a thin coat of dust on it that is really not visible unless I touch part of it which wipes that area slightly. Then you see the dust layer. It still bugs me and I use the car duster and waterless a lot.

Oh great point! It could be pollen. I am hoping it doesn't stay this bad all summer.

I bought some swiffer dusters to see if I can very gently pass one over the surface of the car to help with the problem. My California Duster picks up most of the dust, but I'm wondering if the swiffers might help stop it from recurring. I'm just experimenting.

I got my new Camaro this year and I've been trying to keep it nice and shiny. I wash it when needed and have put 2 coats of Americana on it this spring. Between washes, I use a California Duster and Waterless Wash and/or Detail Spray to keep it shiny.

My problem is that my car seems to attract dust like crazy. If I clean it up one evening, the next morning it has dust on it. I clean it up that morning and drive it to work and when I get out to my car to drive home, it's dusty again.

Have I just become obsessive about the cleanliness of my car? (nah, not possible!) Or, am I cleaning it too much and rubbing all the electrons off of it creating an electrostatic charge making it attract dust? Is there a product like "Adam's Antistatic Additive" (AAA) that I can get that will help with my dust problem? Am I asking too many stupid questions and I should just stop typing now? ;)

This spring has been about the worst I can remember in my 45 years for pollen dust. Do you live near a gravel road? Any construction going on nearby? My neighborhood is 11 years old and we were in hose #30 of 800+. The first four years we lived here I basically gave up on a "showroom" finish due to all of the construction fallout.

Your in-between wax regimen is excellent,:2thumbs: just keep at it, and keep asking questions and typing. Now that I see on radar the rain has fizzled I'm grabbing my kit and going for a (car) wash! :banana:

I think that's it. Even when it's dusty most people probably think it looks great, but since you're paying more attention to it, you notice it more than you would have before.

I agree. I tell people man my car is dirty, and they look at me like :confused:

Plus, when it's really clean, you are more sensitive to any deviation from that mirror like finish. If you never got it that clean, it would look much better to your eye! :willy:

I think that's it. Even when it's dusty most people probably think it looks great, but since you're paying more attention to it, you notice it more than you would have before.

Adams Antistatic Additive is called moisture :) any dampness or humidity in the air should bleed the charge off the surface. Plus, when it's really clean, you are more sensitive to any deviation from that mirror like finish. If you never got it that clean, it would look much better to your eye! :willy:

Archived