Customer Service 866.965.0400

substite for foam gun

Crooz1n

Question

Ok we all know its kinda hard to find a foam gun right now and they are kind of expensive for what they are.

I decided to try an alternative and I think it works pretty well. I bought a Miracle Gro garden sprayer for about 10 bucks. I dont have a foam gun to compare it to but it put a pretty nice coating of suds on the car.

And as a bonus you get a container full of miracle grow to put on the flowers around the house as well.

I had a second cup from an older sprayer that I filled mostly with clean rocks so I didn't have to fill it all the way up with wash concentrate.

If anyone has both the Gilmore and a miracle grow sprayer Id like to hear about a comparison test.

• Answers 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Forgive me brethren for I have sinned against man, humanity, Junkman and Adam's. I broke down and bought a Gilmour Foam Gun from Amazon, 75QGFMR and when I got it, I noticed the MADE IN CHINA blazenly stenciled on the brass fitting. I just could not force myself to accept this and when I read the instructions, it had huge LEAD WARNING labels all over it. I know it is not a big deal and most likely I won't be sucking on the end of it for a drink, but it bothers me that none of this lead warning stuff or "Made In China" was mentioned in the product description. I understand that our government is going to demand that all brass used in plumbing fixtures be lead-free in the future. I am sending back this Chinese item and I'll wait for Adam to come out with his American made foam gun. :patriot: Hopefully soon! In the mean time, I guess I'll have to keep using my cheap six-dollar foam toy.

I know where they have one of these that was MADE IN THE USA. The problem is the money is still going to the company that making them in CHINA and not to the US citizen that made it. Plus, it's a lot more than what you paid on Amazon.

OK...you guys talked me into it! And Junkman, if this foam gun aint the ticket, I'm gonna hunt you down, steal your steak, your junkettes and as a final touch I'm gonna rub my hand down the side of your vette when it's dirty.:lol:

Forgive me brethren for I have sinned against man, humanity, Junkman and Adam's. I broke down and bought a Gilmour Foam Gun from Amazon, 75QGFMR and when I got it, I noticed the MADE IN CHINA blazenly stenciled on the brass fitting. I just could not force myself to accept this and when I read the instructions, it had huge LEAD WARNING labels all over it. I know it is not a big deal and most likely I won't be sucking on the end of it for a drink, but it bothers me that none of this lead warning stuff or "Made In China" was mentioned in the product description. I understand that our government is going to demand that all brass used in plumbing fixtures be lead-free in the future. I am sending back this Chinese item and I'll wait for Adam to come out with his American made foam gun. :patriot: Hopefully soon! In the mean time, I guess I'll have to keep using my cheap six-dollar foam toy.

Okay i want a new one and am thinking about it.

Is there anyway to get more soap out of my fixed ratio gilmour, there was talk about drilling air holes out on the stem bigger. Tryed and it didnt do anything.

Secound question i have a hard time keeping the foam on the car. It makes a descent amount but not close to the new gun. Is it because i have more water in the foam mixture and the new gun doesnt? (If this was a stupid question please ignore:lolsmack:)

You know there are no stupid questions Jesse. :2thumbs:

Now exactly which gun do you have? All of the Gilmore guns are adjustable. Also, the amount of soap you use does affect the amount of foam your gun produces. Let's start with what you presently have.

A while back I purchased a foam gun from another place, before Adam's came out with one. Anyway, I can't use it where I live because of the strict rules against water run off. I explained to them that Adam's Car Shampoo is 100% safe but they didn't care. Rules are Rules they say. Well, I just take my truck to a frinds house down the road, out of the juristriction of the CC&R's, and do both of our trucks. Of course, the "CC&R COP" lives right across the street from my friend and it just drives him crazy having to watch us and can't do anything about it...

I just used my foam gun for the first time yesterday and I can honestly say it made a world of difference!

It was like $65 which I think is ridiculous for what it is but, you gotta pay to play and in this case it was worth it!

So you spray on the foam and start washing from that point?

You don't rinse the foam off before you wash?

You need to go back and review my videos. I explain this in detail.

You spray the foam onto the car and give it a few minutes to loosen the dirt that is matted to the finish. The foam acts as a lubricant to the dirt that is on the car so you don't rinse it off, you wash the car with the foam on it. That's added protection against the grit and grime that is sitting on your paint. As you move the wash pad back and forth, there is less of a chance of you grinding that dirt into your paint. The foam solution does in fact cause the grit and grime to be lifted off the finish and removed successfully.

:lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk::lurk:

You know there are no stupid questions Jesse. :2thumbs:

Now exactly which gun do you have? All of the Gilmore guns are adjustable. Also, the amount of soap you use does affect the amount of foam your gun produces. Let's start with what you presently have.

I am on my way to the Garage.

There is a very distinct difference between a garden chemical sprayer and a foam gun -

Without the introduction of air into the scenario you are not getting foam... you might get a few bubbles (as shown in your picture) but you won't get foam. Essentially what you get with a garden sprayer is the equivalent of a bucket of soapy water - let it go flat - then dump in on your car.

Note the difference between your 'foam' and my 'FOAM' -

IMG_0117-2.jpg

9c45e039.jpg

or Mario's FOAM

IMG_5580.jpg

Later today I'll shoot a video to show you guys the exact demo I gave Ryan. Our foamer has an air intake towards the end of the mixture tube where it pulls air to make foam. If I plug it you get a mix of soap and water... not foam... unplug the hole and BAM thick, rich, lather.

So let's get it on the online store so we can order them.:mail:

Not sure where the idea that 'pre-soaking' did anything to break up dirt and grime. Our soap is not an 'active' cleaner... its not effervescent... its not 'lifting' dirt from the surface... its not performing any action on its own.

Ok, so what soap should I use?

So, your saying it's better to get a foam type product to use with a foam gun? Not a car shampoo?

I'm at a loss now. :confused:

In a sense spraying a foam works to break up dirt and grime.

I just got mine and I can wait for my first wash with it. I thought I could wait but for Adam's but it just seamed to far away. I will get Adam's also when it comes out and gift this one I just got to a family member.

Okay i want a new one and am thinking about it.

Is there anyway to get more soap out of my fixed ratio gilmour, there was talk about drilling air holes out on the stem bigger. Tryed and it didnt do anything.

Secound question i have a hard time keeping the foam on the car. It makes a descent amount but not close to the new gun. Is it because i have more water in the foam mixture and the new gun doesnt? (If this was a stupid question please ignore:lolsmack:)

I used to live in a community with an HOA and I feel your pain... they gave me the same issues. I went to great lengths to show them that a) the soap was non toxic and environmentally friendly, B) foaming produced a higher volume of suds, but didn't use anymore soap than a standard bucket wash would.

Archived