Customer Service 866.965.0400

substite for foam gun

Crooz1n

Question

Ok we all know its kinda hard to find a foam gun right now and they are kind of expensive for what they are.

I decided to try an alternative and I think it works pretty well. I bought a Miracle Gro garden sprayer for about 10 bucks. I dont have a foam gun to compare it to but it put a pretty nice coating of suds on the car.

And as a bonus you get a container full of miracle grow to put on the flowers around the house as well.

I had a second cup from an older sprayer that I filled mostly with clean rocks so I didn't have to fill it all the way up with wash concentrate.

If anyone has both the Gilmore and a miracle grow sprayer Id like to hear about a comparison test.

• Answers 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well there you go Jesse. Try adding a little more soap to your mixture. I really don't think you need to get a different foam gun. The one you have is fine. By the way, how much car shampoo to water ratio were you using?

I have always put a great deal of soap in so i will try more.

Ok we all know its kinda hard to find a foam gun right now and they are kind of expensive for what they are.

I decided to try an alternative and I think it works pretty well. I bought a Miracle Gro garden sprayer for about 10 bucks. I dont have a foam gun to compare it to but it put a pretty nice coating of suds on the car.

And as a bonus you get a container full of miracle grow to put on the flowers around the house as well.

I had a second cup from an older sprayer that I filled mostly with clean rocks so I didn't have to fill it all the way up with wash concentrate.

If anyone has both the Gilmore and a miracle grow sprayer Id like to hear about a comparison test.

I bought the Gilmor and it works for me, loosens the dirt and grime.

Hit it twice and let it soak then rinse well.

I use this and it lays out a pretty good layer of foam...its no foam gun, but I gotta use what I got for now.

92526?$detail$

This is similar to what I use! I can get three car washes with a cartrige of soap. I've said it before.....real foam guns are great at using a horrendous amount of product and I don't see the purpose of wasting product like that. This tool gets the job done, covering the car with a soap film. That is all you really need. Foam guns are for shock and awe!:lolsmack:

... real foam guns are great at using a horrendous amount of product and I don't see the purpose of wasting product like that.

Real foam guns do not waste a lot of product. You add 2 ounces of Car Wash to 1 quart of water and that creates mad amounts of foam. You need as much lubrication as possible so that the dirt that is matted to the clear coat will have enough lubrication to not only raise it up off the clear coat but also make it safe to remove. That is "swirl avoidance 101". During the wash process, this is when the most amount of the swirls are produced. Understanding this is key to avoiding a destructive wash technique.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Real foam guns do not waste a lot of product. You add 2 ounces of Car Wash to 1 quart of water and that creates mad amounts of foam. You need as much lubrication as possible so that the dirt that is matted to the clear coat will have enough lubrication to not only raise it up off the clear coat but also make it safe to remove. That is "swirl avoidance 101". During the wash process, this is when the most amount of the swirls are produced. Understanding this is key to avoiding a destructive wash technique.

I have a adams foam gun it works great.wife says it looks im foaming a runway for a crash landing of a plane, very little product used and a lot of foam comes out.the only way i wash the corvette when its really dirty.

Hey Matt.. the more suds on the car, the better.. they help give you a 'rise' above the surface so that you're not just wiping bare surface.. I'm sure someone will elaborate better than I can..

I recommend getting one 100% and like mentioned prior, support our dealers, Ray at Grabiak helped me get mine..

Whats the difference b/w foam washing the car and regular hand washing? Interested in one of these guns now.

Now for a detailed answer. Watch video #4 from the 4:11 mark. That will answer your question in detail. By the question that you are asking, I can see that you do not understand a 2-bucket wash process. The foam gun is not a replacement for the hand wash, it is a critical component of it. After watching the video, you should be completely clear on that.

Sweet perfect understanding now. First rinse all heavy loose dirt off. Follow up with foam gun to lift excess dirt off, rinse and follow that up with an actual wash. Thanks AJ. Will be getting in touch with Ray soon.

There's no rinse after the application of foam, you go straight to the 2-bucket wash. Rinsing the foam away before you wash defeats the reason you put the foam on the car to begin with.

I agree with AJ, but I know some feel rinsing after foam and reapplying is the way to go. Personally, I think it's a waste because Adams soap isn't harsh enough (this is a good thing) to do any cleaning without some agitation.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

What I've been told is that it is designed to break up/loosen dirt on the paint. After the gun do a regular hand wash. Makes the finished result look alot nicer.

Ok guys, I gotta ask. What is the advantage to using a foam gun as apposed to just putting the soap in the bucket and dipping the mitt. If I coat my whole car it seems to dry on... :cheers:

What I've been told is that it is designed to break up/loosen dirt on the paint. After the gun do a regular hand wash. Makes the finished result look alot nicer.

Now Matt, what you should have done is pointed Crowvet to my post (#90), where I explained the exact reason to you why a foam gun is necessary. The foam gun is about preventing damage to the paint during the 2-bucket wash process. When I look at your answer, it does nothing to motivate me to get one. That's why I pointed you to that video. I explain in detail the reason for one, which totally makes sense and motivated you to get one because it is logically smart. I do nothing to my paint unless I can not only see the benefit, but it also has to logically make sense to me. I can back up anything that I do or suggest with results that you can not only see, it also makes perfect sense if you have one ounce of logic rolling through your brain.

Crowvet, you should have read the whole thread. The clear coat on your Vette is as hard as the fingernails on a gorilla so the less damage you do to it, the easier it is going to be to fix. You know that I am VERY familiar with Corvette clear coats as I have had the pleasure of fixing my own, and a host of others. Now check out post #90, so that you can hear and see for yourself the importance of the foam gun.

Now Matt, what you should have done is pointed Crowvet to my post (#90), where I explained the exact reason to you why a foam gun is necessary. The foam gun is about preventing damage to the paint during the 2-bucket wash process. When I look at your answer, it does nothing to motivate me to get one. That's why I pointed you to that video. I explain in detail the reason for one, which totally makes sense and motivated you to get one because it is logically smart. I do nothing to my paint unless I can not only see the benefit, but it also has to logically make sense to me. I can back up anything that I do or suggest with results that you can not only see, it also makes perfect sense if you have one ounce of logic rolling through your brain.

Crowvet, you should have read the whole thread. The clear coat on your Vette is as hard as the fingernails on a gorilla so the less damage you do to it, the easier it is going to be to fix. You know that I am VERY familiar with Corvette clear coats as I have had the pleasure of fixing my own, and a host of others. Now check out post #90, so that you can hear and see for yourself the importance of the foam gun.

Thanks Guys, I kinda figured that was the case. to loosen up the dirt. As for the Corvette it is never allowed to get dirty and birds know better than to doo on it. My daily driver on the other hand (as well as the vette) I am sure would benefit from the foam gun. :cheers:

Archived