Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Paint Prep Question

F150 Flareside

Question

I recently bought my wife a new Equinox (4 weeks old) and was wondering what methods to use on the paint since it is new. I washed for the first time 2 weeks ago and did the plastic bag check and found paint is not as smooth as I thought it would be.

Question: Are these the steps I should take since there are no swirl marks?

1. 2 bucket wash

2. Clay bar

3. Americana wax

I don't think polishing is required, but I'm a closet detailer:xfingers: and want to do this while she is out of town and have it done before she gets back for Mother's Day present.

Thanks.

13 answers to this question

Thanks for your replys. You have a point on the paint from the dealer. I will have to check it tonight when she gets home to really look for swirls. The dealer did do a wash before she drove it off the lot. I think it took a whole 20 minutes, so I doubt they used the 2 bucket technique :lol:

If I do find minor swirls, does going straight to the white with the PC make sense after the clay bar?

I would throw some polishing in there. When I got my wife's brand new car home, I clayed, polished with white pad and FMP, and topped with MSW. The dealer probably set you up with their complimentary dealer installed swirl option, so I'm sure it could use a light polishing as well.

After looking this morning closer to the paint, we did receive the Dealer complimentary swirl job at no added cost. :(

Here are some pictures:

This one is enhanced a little to show contrast.

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0003.jpg

PICT0004.jpg

I was wondering if I could still do the clay, white pad with FMP, then wax with grey pad and MSW?

You can clay, and then try FMP to see if it will remove that damage. However, it looks like you may need SHR to get rid of those swirls. Don't be surprised if FMP doesn't remove them. FMP is a very light damage removing polish.

Once you do get those swirls rmoved, you should never have to use SHR again. FMP should be all you need if you practice my paint maintenance methods. If you don't. you will end up constantly creating the damage you already have.

You can clay, and then try FMP to see if it will remove that damage. However, it looks like you may need SHR to get rid of those swirls. Don't be surprised if FMP doesn't remove them. FMP is a very light damage removing polish.

Once you do get those swirls rmoved, you should never have to use SHR again. FMP should be all you need if you practice my paint maintenance methods. If you don't. you will end up constantly creating the damage you already have.

:iagree:

Thanks for the advice. Once I really got a look at the paint today I was worried FMP wouldn't be enough. I am hoping to get a couple of days off next week after SMDC review.

I will post some after pics next weekend and let you know how it goes :xfingers:

Thanks for the advice. Once I really got a look at the paint today I was worried FMP wouldn't be enough. I am hoping to get a couple of days off next week after SMDC review.

I will post some after pics next weekend and let you know how it goes :xfingers:

I did just the FMP this spring without using the SHR. My car was less than a year old and the FMP was not enough to get all the scratches out. It got many of them but not all.

I'd say you would be best to start with the SHR then on to the FMP.

Well, I finally finished up the wife's Equinox today just in time for Mother's Day. I figure I spent about 22-23 hours to finish over the last 3 days, but I think it was worth it. I would like to give a shout out to Adam and AJ for their videos. It really helped. Especially, doing a final pool rinse after washing. Thanks, AJ. I started polishing on a small test section and found the FMP/White Pad removed all the swirls, so completed with this technique. Hard to get areas were hand polished and waxed. Wish the PC could get everywhere, it's sooo much easier.

Before Pictures:

Equinox4.jpg

Equinox3.jpg

After Full Detail:

PICT0005.jpg

Equinox8.jpg

Equinox17.jpg

Tires:

Equinox13.jpg

Thanks everyone for the advice. Oh, and GO SUNS!:thumbsup:

Archived