Customer Service 866.965.0400

Recommendations after having chips touched up

Sooners

Question

My new car has a handful of chips in the paint. The pic below shows an example. It's probably the worst, the rest are smaller. The dealer agreed to have these fixed, which will be done this week. I'm wondering how I should approach detailing the paint after having this done. Since these are small areas, is it okay to polish/wax over these, or would this cause issues like a repaint? Should I work around them or just leave the car alone for a couple of months? I'm itching to get it cleaned up.

7 answers to this question

Please get information as to what EXACTLY the dealer is going to do when "repairing" the chips. If done by a novice or incorrectly/cheaply you will be very unhappy. Make sure they explain in detail. A salesman will always tell you the dealer will take care - please beware!

Please get information as to what EXACTLY the dealer is going to do when "repairing" the chips. If done by a novice or incorrectly/cheaply you will be very unhappy. Make sure they explain in detail. A salesman will always tell you the dealer will take care - please beware!

They're sending the car over to their body shop. The lip of the front bumper has a nice case of curb rash, so they're refinishing this as well. It will be a professional job. Anything less, and they can keep it until they get it right.

Take the advice of the shop that does the repair for the mostpart. Its also going to depend highly on how its repaired... touchup vr. complete respray.

Depending on how the panel is treated, what kind of post repair curing the do (baked parts or not) etc will determine how you treat the car going forward.

At a minimum I'd avoid any sealants for at least 30 days on fresh paint and use caution around chip 'touchups' I've buffed on cars that were 'touched up' by dealers and the paint came right up onto the pad b/c they failed to prep the area IN the chip so the paint never bonded.

Archived