Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Guy, Pontiac, Michigan

tgauthier

Hello, I am a new guy and this is my first post. Ted, from Pontiac, Michigan building a Mahogany/fiberglass boat and painting the bottom only. I ordered all my polishing supplies from Adams and waiting for them to arrive. I borrowed a 7424 from a friend. It was brand new, I opened the box. I was using it on a sample piece with the enclosed sponge and 3m compond but after 5-10 the metal housing was so hot that I could hardly hold on to it. The 7424 was plugged directly into the wall, no extention cord was used. This does not seem normally.

If your interested in seeing my project, here is the link:

http://tedsbuild.blogspot.com/

Thanks for you suggestions.

Ted Gauthier

No not normal unless you're using too much pressure. 9-14 pounds max. I am going out on a limb here and am going to blame the inferior products to the reason the PC was acting up... lol

Welcome and enjoy.

Chris

Your unit will get hot like that even when plugged directly to the wall, if the outlet you are using is starving the PC of current. This is caused by having too many things running on the same circuit. Did you have some other high draw items on that same circuit (halogen lights, etc...)?

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks everyone for the replys. Junkman, thanks for all the great videos. I think you are probably right about the power issue. All the plugs in the room are on the same circut and I have had issues with the breaker popping, so I will seperate things out and give it another try. I never even gave that a thought.

Ted Gauthier

http://www.FlyBalloons.net

Sorry, I guess I was not clear. I have popped the breaker in that area in the past. It never popped when I was using the 7424, it just got very hot. I did have all my lights on so it may have been starving for power. I built my airplane in the same spot so I have a lot of overhead lights. The airplane is gone out to the airport and the boat project has taken its place.

Junkman, I have a question about the difference between the xp and sp. I read in your previous posts that they are the same but one is also a sander. I borrowed this 7424 and need to buy my own. I have a wood shop and could use the sander. Would I be just as happy with the sp as the xp or should I just get a deadicated machine that will do the job

Ted

p.s. sorry is this is not the correct place to ask another question, I am new to this. Also, should I be calling you Junkman or AJ?

Sorry, I guess I was not clear. I have popped the breaker in that area in the past. It never popped when I was using the 7424, it just got very hot. I did have all my lights on so it may have been starving for power. I built my airplane in the same spot so I have a lot of overhead lights. The airplane is gone out to the airport and the boat project has taken its place.

Junkman, I have a question about the difference between the xp and sp. I read in your previous posts that they are the same but one is also a sander. I borrowed this 7424 and need to buy my own. I have a wood shop and could use the sander. Would I be just as happy with the sp as the xp or should I just get a deadicated machine that will do the job

Ted

p.s. sorry is this is not the correct place to ask another question, I am new to this. Also, should I be calling you Junkman or AJ?

Junkman or AJ are fine. I answer to both and it is a lot nicer than what I had to answer to in boot camp! :D

Both units are the same. The only difference is 800 OPM's more power and a more ergonomically designed body with the XP. If you use the same unit for both, you may have to swap back plates as the polisher uses the Hook-It 1 technology and the sanders are now going to the Hook-It II technology. I personally wouldn't buy two different units unless you find that swapping out the back plate is a hassle. I don't feel that it is $110 worth of a hassle.

Hey, it's your thread... you can get as off topic as you want! ;)

Archived