Customer Service 866.965.0400

Turbo Finally Sounds Like One

Nordgrey

Had a CAI installed today, now the turbo actually sounds like a turbo! That nice whiiiiiiiiiiiine psssssh! LOL

Had the stereo off the whole way home just listening to it. Was stopped next to a Mountie at a light and just could not resist, gunned it, his head snaps over and sees my :D, shakes his head, grins and procedes to get right in front of me doing exactly the speed limit the whole way home. :lol:

Before

CIMG0078.jpg

After

CIMG0079.jpg

Wish Hyundai had not gone the route they did with basically silencing the turbo, but I understand why. Likely would have been hords of people coming to complain that their car had an air leak somewhere.:jester:

Oh, and apologies for the dirty engine bay in the after, it was still hot when I got home and I guess the guys at the dealership were out of hand cleaner.....LOL

Now put a blow off valve on it... I've been tempted to do this with our Subie but I don't think the wife would think kindly to it... lol

Chris

I want a Turbo!!! :D

The cops here call your take off at the light...Improper Start and heres your ticket.:lol:

I got one in Massachusetts, some time ago, for "Exhibition of Speed". I wasn't moving all that quickly at the time but the 50ft posi slab I left behind, as well as the smoke billowing out the wheel wells, wasn't appreciated. :2thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

An intake will deffinity make the stock by pass valve louder. Nice intake, the genesis is a nice car. I have an STI and the intake is almost too loud. A BOV would be very annoying. But Personl preferance.

Nice car!

An intake will deffinity make the stock by pass valve louder. Nice intake, the genesis is a nice car. I have an STI and the intake is almost too loud. A BOV would be very annoying. But Personl preferance.

Nice car!

Actually on our Legacy most say that a CAI is a waste of money... Not sure it's totally true but something about the intake snorkel between the hood and radiator support. Ours is stage II Cobb with up and down pipes and a foam filter ;)

For the WRX, you are correct. It is difficult to put a decent intake on the Suby because the stock MAF sensor is very sensitive to changes like that. I had a friend that was big into them and worked on his car a bit. He ended up getting his computer flashed by Cobb Tuning in order to use it.

As for the Hyundai, I'd be interested to see more pictures of the turbo and the stock bypass valve (blowoff valve). Chances are there are easier/cheaper/safer ways to make the bypass noise louder rather than ponying up for a new aftermarket unit. If I was in the market I'd definitely consider one of those 2-door Genesis cars!

Here is the stock (less the CAI) engine bay on a 2.0 putting about 187 hp to the rear wheels.

CIMG0018-1.jpg

Here is the engine bay of a somewhat ;) modified 2.0 putting about 544 hp to the rear wheels on race gas.

IMG_1189.jpg

:drool:

Here's your solution, found on the Buschur Racing website. Might I say, I've dealt with these guys before and had some of their products on my Eagle Talon AWD turbo back in the day. They are top notch and their products are too! Turns out you can turn the boost up 2psi from stock but you'll need a new blow off valve in order to run higher boost, the stock one will leak at higher boost levels. This will get your woommmmpshhhhhhh sound! Here's what i found:

Once we got the car back together from the R&D of some of our parts, put it on the dyno and tried turning up the boost we immediately found the stock BOV to be just one issue that needed to be addressed before furthering the path with the Coupe.

Friday we finished the solution to our BOV problem. I was able to drive the car about 300 miles this weekend. No issues at all. The BOV works great.

We decided on a TiAL 50mm BOV as this is a valve we have ran for years with great success and performance. The TiAL units are a very high quality BOV while also being available in a variety of different colors such as silver, black, blue, red and purple.

TiALGCcomplete2.jpg

Lack of tools, lack of anywhere to do it and the fact that the front of the car needs to come off to get it in.....LOL

More than worth the $100 to have them do it.

Understandable, from what ive read my evo motor is based of your motor. Mistu took the world based engine and named it 4B11 for their own purposes.

That's my understanding as well. From what I can gather at the Gencoupe web forum, Hyundai dialed it back a bit from your evo version. Probably since it was their first turbo'd rwd car. Less chance of problems etc I guess.

Wish they hadn't, since I am not going to be messing around with flashing etc, but it gives the folks more room to play with, like the geologist from Vegas above.......LOL. Aside from my wheels, as they take the grand tour of North America getting here, I really only plan to do the exhaust, especially now that I have found a 3" hi flo secondary cat to put in front of a good cat back system.

Archived