Customer Service 866.965.0400

Laguna's First PC Detail (56k DEATH)

Laguna

:rockon::glasses::jester::hi::banana::bow::pc::thumbsup:

Alright, enough of the smilies. That about fits all the moods I went through today.

Woke up at 9am, took a shower (not with my gf ftl :() ...oh wait, you want to hear about the detail! Oh well let me tell YOU!

On shorter write-ups I put words between pictures. But, I'll just type out what I did and let the pictures walk you through the story themselves. They are all in order. Please give me constructive-criticism, it will only better me.

My own criticism: I have to get used to going slower or faster. Checking the speed. Also making sure the PC is rotating, sometimes I was giving a little too much pressure. On lower OPMs, you apply just a little pressure and it stops moving.

This is after 4 hours of the wash and clay process. Didn't take long to clay at all because my car barely needed it. It held up really nicely over the winter. My paint is as smooth as a strippers *** right now.

Looking at about another 2-3 hours of polishing tomorrow. 2 hours for wax. 3-4 hours for interior and clean-up/touch-up process and making it all 100% and then I'm done. :)

:burnout:

Products:

Adam's Car Wash Shampoo

Adam's Great White Drying Towel

Adam's Grit Guard Bucket Insert

Adam's Professional Wash Pad

Adam's Swirl & Haze Remover

Adam's Fine Machine Car Polish

Adam's Machine SuperWax

Adam's Dual-Action Foam Pad Kit

Boar's Hair Brush (I didn't use Adam's, but this links to Adam's)

Adam's Detailing Clay Bar

VRT Super Black Detail Sponges

Adam's Detail Spray

Adam's Glass Cleaner

Adam's All-Purpose Cleaner

Adam's Leather & Interior Cleaner

Adam's Vinyl, Rubber & Tire

Adam's Brilliant Spray Glaze

Adam's Double Soft Premium Microfiber Towel

Adam's Leather Conditioner

Porter Cable 7424XP

Menzerna-M10/Power-Finish-PO203S-P266/32-oz-S1

Turtle Wax Chrome & Metal Polish

Super Plush Microfiber Polish Towel

ShowroomFX Gray "Plush" Microfiber Detail Towel

Zaino Z-6 Ultra Clean Gloss Enhancer Spray

Briggs & Straton 2200 PSI Pressure Washer

Adam's Wash Bucket's (Didn't use Adam's, but here is the link)

Dawn Dish Soap

Started early in the morning. Went ahead and started APC on the wheels, wheelwells, back bumper, tailpipes, front grill, and all lights. Agitated all of them with the Boar's Hair Brush. Rinsed them all good and then went ahead and rinsed down the whole car with the pressure washer. Switched to my foam gun and laid down a light layer of foam and let it sit for a bit and then put down a thick layer of foam until the gun ran out of soap. Then continued with the two-bucket method. Pressure washer rinsed at the end. Pooling/sheeting method to end it all.

Popped the hood and soaked the engine with All Purpose Cleaner (I know I did this backwards, for you new ones, make sure you do this part before washing the rest of the car!). Agitated it all with the Boar's Hair Brush. Rinsed it all off. Detail Sprayed some areas. Will apply VRT via spray when all is done as part of the "finishing/touchup" process.

Pulled the goat into the garage and started claying. Didn't take long at all because my car held up **** nice over the winter since the last time I clayed it. Quickly brisked through that and then went and ate a sammich.

Started taping it all off. Then, grabbed the PC for my first time. :)

Started by putting a tape strip down my door and working on my "perfect spot" and get some good 50/50's (PS: I admit I suck at taking some 50/50 shots. I want to be able to see the flash but if I get too far away you can't see the swirls on the bad side, I will work on my photography skills).

Started off with some Adam's Swirl and Haze Remover with the orange pad. Went over it with the Menzerna PO203S as well. Then topped that all off with Adam's Fine Machine Polish. I liked the results and got two other people's opinions and then went and did the whole car. Worked fairly well for my first time I would say. Would be nice to have an experienced detailer with me, but oh well. I'll only get better from here on my own experiences/trials.

Car is currently awaiting me to polish a few areas I want to hit again and then do the roof and front bumper. Then, going to hit the wax and clean the interior. Couldn't wait to post this write-up, so that is where we stand. All final pictures will be posted up when I finish!

IMG_4226.jpg

IMG_4227.jpg

IMG_4228.jpg

IMG_4229.jpg

IMG_4233.jpg

AH! I feel honored!

haha. ****, is my hair right, my tie straight?

PS: I watched your Volume 6 DVD as I fell asleep the night before just incase I could catch any extra tips, lmao.

Nice job! It feels good to have a nice shiny, swirl free car!

For that remaining scratch pick up the spot pad kit, it will remove it in a few minutes. The YW pad will work faster than the orange for actual scratches but it still takes a while for anything attached to the PC to remove them. Rotary is the way to go for that.

Hey L, Looks amazing... I too am working on my Holden... I am SO wanting to be done with it...

May I recommend you get some 4" focus pads? They'd make quick work of the deeper scratches and IMO they make life MUCH easier. Stick them on a drill and work them on the bad spots, moving them constantly and you'll see the spots disappear 10 times faster and then follow up with the PC. It's a lot easier to get rid of micro mars with the PC than it is the big deep ones.

Good luck!

Chris

Looks like you're getting it done!

Oh and hey about your rear rotors... I noticed mine starting to rust this spring when I put the summer wheels and tires on so I took some semi gloss black and sprayed them. Yours would probably need a little more work than that but it'll really help clean the look up.

Help me understand why you needed to use all the other brands on the car...

Oh and we don't allow links here to competitors sites. Sorry.

Just stuff I've had over my detailing time. Wanted to give it a shot and see what happens. I'm all for experimenting. No offense to Adam's, but no one is ever 100% perfect. Doesn't hurt to try. But, I do say that most of Adam's is good. :)

I'm looking at the Menzerna Power Gloss polish to try and remove some bigger things. I will work on those 4" pads. I've spent enough money in the past month, got to take it a little easy as much as I want a lot more. It's all in the wishlist though, haha.

Oh, and I've been planning to spray paint those rotors forever. Everyone does it around here to their goats, just haven't found the time. How exactly did you go about it if you don't mind doing a semi-write-up?

Just stuff I've had over my detailing time. Wanted to give it a shot and see what happens. I'm all for experimenting. No offense to Adam's, but no one is ever 100% perfect. Doesn't hurt to try. But, I do say that most of Adam's is good. :)

I'm looking at the Menzerna Power Gloss polish to try and remove some bigger things. I will work on those 4" pads. I've spent enough money in the past month, got to take it a little easy as much as I want a lot more. It's all in the wishlist though, haha.

Oh, and I've been planning to spray paint those rotors forever. Everyone does it around here to their goats, just haven't found the time. How exactly did you go about it if you don't mind doing a semi-write-up?

Well mine were 100 times better than yours so I just wiped them down with brake clean and sprayed them. I didn't tape anything off... I then took a rag with brake clean on it and wiped the rotor surface to get any overspray off.

If I did yours I'd remove them and sand or blast them and prime and paint.

It won't last forever but it'll look better then it does.

Oh and I notice by your pics that you're using an awful lot of product. Try using a little less. 3-4 pea size blobs will do ya! Spray a bit of DS on it to keep it a little lubed and work it. Remember the foam does a lot/most of the cutting.

Chris

Must be pontiac thing because my rotors look the exact same way and I was wondering how I could take car of this also because its a little thing like that get you aggravated after you spend all day detailing your ride and you look at it and notice rusty rotors.

Now keep it like that!:lol:

^^^What he said...^^^

And my neighborhood has cats that really like my car. Anyone know what sandy pawprints look like on curing MSW??? I do... :willy:

Gee, I can't understand why you left the dial up warning. :lolsmack::lolsmack:

Very nice documentation of the process. I'll have to use my 4" pads to try and take out some of those bigger scratches that I have been fighting. Thanks for the tips guys!:thumbsup:

And that grayness on the orange pad will go away - my guess is that the finished was treated with one of those black hiding waxes or something similar. You have now removed that stuff and will probably not see that grayness on your orange pad anymore.

Must be pontiac thing because my rotors look the exact same way and I was wondering how I could take car of this also because its a little thing like that get you aggravated after you spend all day detailing your ride and you look at it and notice rusty rotors.

Yep I painted mine!:burnout:

Girlfriend has decided that I have a second girlfriend and is a little jealous. But I reminded her that I buff her good too. :lol:

Chewy/Chris: Using too much product. Typical noob like me, lol. The suspension will be replaced over time. The GTO suspension was **** from factory. It is the problem to have on every GTO. Usually it was shot by 25k miles. I am now at 87k miles. I plan on pedderizing the whole car but that is running around $3k to do so. Just waiting until I can make this my garage queen/track car/weekend warrior when I get my own place, a better job, and a 2nd car. That is when the real mods will start and the HEAVY detailing will begin. This car I expect to be immaculate and I will be replacing almost everything but the interior and the body. Going to do a full rebuild. Shooting for 1k rwhp while still trying to be street legal so I can enjoy it on nice days. ;)

PS: My wrist hurts.

PSS: Uploading final pics soon.

Archived