Customer Service 866.965.0400

Polishing practice

xlr8rvette

Question

15 answers to this question

Real MEN practice on the most expensive car they can find... lol

Good for you but I'll tell you what... With a PC you don't need a practice slate IMO. You really can't harm the paint to the point of not being able to repair it. I learned on my G8.

Chris

Its black............Sorry, I do not agree with not being able to do damage with a PC. I will be experimenting via hand application :2thumbs:

So you've done so much damage to a paint job that it couldn't be fixed? I'd love to know how. Oh and I'm not being a smart a**... I'd really like to know. Knowledge is king for me. My car is black as well.

Chris

Bought pc and practiced on older white Ford explorer. Everyone said the same as you....essentially its foolproof. I moved on to the black Vette. Spent 16 hours ours getting scratches and swirls out. After each phase rechecked surface and videos for assurance. Seemed to be working, swirls and scratches were disappearing. Then I noticed had dull looking areas along edges of hood, both sides and edge nearest windshield (hood opens from this side). Although not as bad seemed to be a few other similar areas such as at top of rear side fenders and on front fenders near hood. I experimented with pads, speed and applications. Nothing helped. Contacted forum. Received mariad of reasons/advise much of which conflicted ( i.e. use only a little pressure, use alot of pressure, need more lights,etc).

Went to two detailers (one Adams and one not). One (guess which) tried to sell me his wax and the Adams guy tried to buff it out using his pads and Adams product. It didn't come out and he was nervous to be very aggressive. He surmized that I had used too much pressure, had not kept the pc pad level and had also done damage coming along the fender slope downward onto the hood. We gave up. However, both did mention one thing in common... They had never seen this occur from a pc before.

Well it did and I will never use a pc again. That was around a year and an half ago. Since then I have managed to make it better by hand polishing and waxing on a regular basis. Its still there but no one else seems to notice and is definitely not as apparent. As far as swirls and scratches are concerned, yes I have them but as often as I wax (in fill) they are tolerable.

As far as the pc is concerned it didn't work for me. Thank you

Nothing wrong with doing it by hand Bill, if the results are what you are looking for. I wish I had a chance to look at it. I know I could have found a solution, as I have a wide selections of products and tools to choose from.

But I will say this. I will keep doing this at car shows and demo clinics because it truly is this easy. Look at these kids go!

carlisle14a.jpg

c5fest6a.jpg

angelin_buffer.jpg

Even the big kids can do it!

fordshow31.jpg

Well that sucks! I guess I'm lucky I've never had those issues. I did do a lot of reading and watching of videos before starting though. I still have setbacks but nothing that I haven't been able to fix.

Some guys will also buy a hood or fender from a junk yard to test on.

Chris

Bought pc and practiced on older white Ford explorer. Everyone said the same as you....essentially its foolproof. I moved on to the black Vette. Spent 16 hours ours getting scratches and swirls out. After each phase rechecked surface and videos for assurance. Seemed to be working, swirls and scratches were disappearing. Then I noticed had dull looking areas along edges of hood, both sides and edge nearest windshield (hood opens from this side). Although not as bad seemed to be a few other similar areas such as at top of rear side fenders and on front fenders near hood. I experimented with pads, speed and applications. Nothing helped. Contacted forum. Received mariad of reasons/advise much of which conflicted ( i.e. use only a little pressure, use alot of pressure, need more lights,etc).

Went to two detailers (one Adams and one not). One (guess which) tried to sell me his wax and the Adams guy tried to buff it out using his pads and Adams product. It didn't come out and he was nervous to be very aggressive. He surmized that I had used too much pressure, had not kept the pc pad level and had also done damage coming along the fender slope downward onto the hood. We gave up. However, both did mention one thing in common... They had never seen this occur from a pc before.

Well it did and I will never use a pc again. That was around a year and an half ago. Since then I have managed to make it better by hand polishing and waxing on a regular basis. Its still there but no one else seems to notice and is definitely not as apparent. As far as swirls and scratches are concerned, yes I have them but as often as I wax (in fill) they are tolerable.

As far as the pc is concerned it didn't work for me. Thank you

Are you sure you did the damage with the PC and it wasn't there before hand? I'm sorry but I find it almost impossible for you to have done damage unless there was already a problem, like super thin clear, but if you had burned through it then you wouldn't be able to fix it. Do you have any pictures?

Also I could imagine it being a clearcoat failure that you simply never saw before because its hard to see defects on white paint in general. Older explorers were not known for their quality paint jobs.

Are you sure you did the damage with the PC and it wasn't there before hand? I'm sorry but I find it almost impossible for you to have done damage unless there was already a problem, like super thin clear, but if you had burned through it then you wouldn't be able to fix it. Do you have any pictures?

:iagree: Is this factory paint? Sorry if this was already talked about.

Also I could imagine it being a clearcoat failure that you simply never saw before because its hard to see defects on white paint in general. Older explorers were not known for their quality paint jobs.

Huh ??.......Black C6 Corvette that I've owned since it was new (12 miles). Please re-read post.

Huh ??.......Black C6 Corvette that I've owned since it was new (12 miles). Please re-read post.

I missed "then moved onto..."

You still didn't answer my question from my last post.

So do you have any photos of this apparent damage you did to the rock hard C6 clearcoat?

Sorry no photos. It looked like what I believe is called marring primarily along the edges of the hood. It wasn't there prior to using the pc but certainly was afterwards. Whatever the reason (likely me) I do not want to go thru that again.

Sorry no photos. It looked like what I believe is called marring primarily along the edges of the hood. It wasn't there prior to using the pc but certainly was afterwards. Whatever the reason (likely me) I do not want to go thru that again.

I usually tape off those types of areas and go back at them with care later. I am still afraid of sharp edges. Not burning through them but just marring them.

Chris

Archived