Customer Service 866.965.0400

PC 7424 handle

Dutch

Question

Hi - Newer to the car detailing stuff, but not power tools. I have a slight issue with my PC. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this.

Bought it a few months ago, weather finally cooperated with me and so last Friday I started buffing my car with SHR/FMP.

I noticed the handle on the PC was very difficult to thread on to the left side. Looked like too much black plastic between the handle and the actual metal threads. I had to push and turn to engage the threads. (works on the right side no problem)

Anyway about halfway through the job I feel the hand get loose and basically falls off. This time I cannot get the threads to catch. So I cut about 1/8" off the handle to make the thread(bolt) section a little longer. It works but again near the end it come out again. I now see the handle threads are not in great shape. It looks like the power head threads are just a bit too wide at the top (1/4 " into the body) and all the vibrating eventually rounded the threads even more.

Thoughts? Return, take to a service center for PC? I have an original PC orbital sander (20+ yrs old) that is exactly what this polisher is built from. Never had any issues.

Thanks!

17 answers to this question

I too had the same exact problem with the handle, except the threads in the actual head stripped. I sent it to Porter Cable and they sent me a whole new PC. Before installing the handle in the new one(I like the handle), I cut about 5/8" off the hard black plastic to allow it to thread deeper into the head. Problem solved. Maybe the handle isn't the best for cars, but I use mine on boats too and it sure is handy.

While I did buy a ton of the Adams products (polish, pads, detail spray etc). I picked up the tool, semi-locally. I used to have an account with this place so I still get pretty good deals on tools.

Is there any 'tsb' about this handle issue so I can take it up with them next time I am in the area?

Thanks!

Hi Jeff, when Black & Decker bought Porter Cable, a few thousand polishers went out with the incorrect handle, one that was sourced from B&D instead of designed for the PC. Those handles don't have enough threaded shaft to keep that handle on correctly.

Shoot us an email with your order number, and we'll send you a replacement handle immediately. Orders@AdamsPolishes.com

Thanks!

-Adam:pc:

:rockon: Told ya...the big man himself stepping in... :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thanks for the welcome.

Call it habit. Grinders, hammer drills etc. I am used to the handle. I could get used to it without the handle.

Just kind of miffed about the new tool.

I can understand you being concerned about it. I expect things to be perfect out of the box as well.

Adam's does offer a 110% guarantee on everything, and their customer service is above and beyond anything you have ever experienced. So you can shoot Ashley an email or call her and they'll come up with a solution that is to your satisfaction.

Hi Jeff, when Black & Decker bought Porter Cable, a few thousand polishers went out with the incorrect handle, one that was sourced from B&D instead of designed for the PC. Those handles don't have enough threaded shaft to keep that handle on correctly.

Shoot us an email with your order number, and we'll send you a replacement handle immediately. Orders@AdamsPolishes.com

Thanks!

-Adam:pc:

Thanks for the welcome.

Call it habit. Grinders, hammer drills etc. I am used to the handle. I could get used to it without the handle.

Just kind of miffed about the new tool.

Welcome to the forum! :welcomebanner:

As far as the handle on the PC, I don't use it at all. Reason being: you might apply uneven pressure and tilt the pad on the surface. I use Junkman's method and it's quite nice...one hand near the switch (where you would normally hold it anyway) and one at the very front. It's very easy to regulate even pressure that way. :pc:

Not sure if anyone has experienced the issue you describe though.

Archived