Customer Service 866.965.0400

A question of chips

Smeg

Question

Not the fish & chips kind! :uk:

Did a search and did not really find an answer to what I was looking for so here goes.

Have seen a great many posts about Dr chip or whatever it was and also Langka for chips. Seems Dr. chip is some sort of filler (did not see a lot of info on it) and Langka is a way to flush out the factory touch up paint if I get what it does correctly.

The question I have is this. Most times the little tube touch up paints are the correct colour, BUT they still don't look the same because they don't have that layer of clear on them. SO, question is, has anyone tried and got better results by using the touch up paint and then filling the rest of the chip with a clear touch up?

I would assume after you could use the Langka kit to bring it level.

Just wondering if that yields any better results and a better match?

5 answers to this question

if your paint is metallic, then adding a coat of clear is the only way to make it inconspicuous. most non-metallic repair paints will not need the clear coat.

i am in the process of doing mine now, just have to fill some of the deeper ones a little more, but the ones that are flush now, you can tell there is touch up paint there from about 1 foot away, i'm gunna go pick up a thing of clear to apply over it, and hopefully, just hopefully that makes it to where you can only see it from inches away!

Thanks for the reply. Would be really interested in your results if you would not mind following up.

Yes, car is metallic. In fact, not that far off the colour of your car although it is an import. Just wondering if by putting the colour and then a clear on top that it might blend a bit better. Sort of a spot respray.

Hmm, don't know there either. Was just thinking touch up paint either paint or clear and not thinking that the kit might not work with it. Really interested in knowing too (along with original question).

Archived