Customer Service 866.965.0400

Scratches on plastic wood grain on Camary

Smeg

Question

I had a similar question that I was going to post a thread on this AM, but saw this one.

Wood inside the car though is faux wood. Translation...just a plastic toyota camry panel that looks like burl wood. Stuff extends from the dash back on the top of the console and up to the arm rest. As careful as we try to be there are still scuffs on it that I can see in the light.

Suggestions on how to best get rid of them (preferred) or at least hide them?

15 answers to this question

Hi, No not tried that. Been pretty unsure about trying anything on it as none of it is in a hidden area really. Covers the console top so pretty much all in your face as it were. Just would not want to haze the finish so it would not match the rest or worse take off the fake wood pattern on it however they do that.

Would have to order Revive, but would if it does the trick. The scuffs are fairly light. Just on the shine of the plastic wood they are noticable. Even a filler type thing would be okay.

I had wondered if Brilliant Spray Glaze had some sort of filling properties in it?

Could then wax the console top and then put BSG on to fill it out as it were.

Probably way off base there.

Thanks for the post!

Went back and forth yesterday and finally ordered some buttery wax and a brilliant spray glaze. I'm glad to know that at least the BSG has a bit of filling ability as that is what I had hoped.

Decided to try the Buttery as I'd probably use that a lot more on the car than revive. Hope I went the right way. At least thought I'd use that on the paint more overall.

Had the crazy thought of trying a bit of the BW, do the BSG and if it still did not look any better then perhaps I could take a smidge of FMP and mix in the buttery to see if it would help. The scuffs really don't look bad, but you know how it is, they stand out like mad to me as I know they are there.

Anyway, order pending now.

Guess only just wondering this AM, about the ability to use either product on smooth plastic instead of paint is a bit late eh?

Wow, every time I read back through my posts from previous I see more and more spelling mistakes! Guess I need to quit getting up at 2-3AM!

Yes, revive looks to have a fine abrasive in it to polish the paint and remove fine stuff. The buttery does not. Just thought I’d try the buttery and see if in combo with the BSG it would hide the scuffs. Then if still not happy that is where I thought of doing a bit of a mix with a very slight amount of FMP to try and gently remove or lessen. Scary issue that pushed me more to Buttery is that I have the feeling that the faux burl wood grain is right on the surface with no protective layer as it were. So, thought of abrasive of any kind scares me a bit as might directly start removing the pattern.

Probably just need to stop looking at them and letting them bother me!

Any way to Edit the title of this post? Leaned on the "A" while going for the "Y" and misspelled Camry. Embarrassing, lol.

This is going to be a little bit of an experiment. If you have MF pads (the blue rectangular ones) you might try using them with either product to decrease the aggression level, or maybe with a red pad or red hex pad if you don't have the blue MF pads. Then test in a very inconspicuous area and see how the faux burl finish reacts. You could try the revive first - it is more of a cleaner with some hiding properties. Then if necessary, step up to FMP with a red foam pad or MF pad. Start with a very mild approach, and only step up the aggression if needed.

In the Adam's line, it seems that the application pads contribute significantly to the overall aggressiveness of the pad/product combination. That's why I am suggesting going to a non-aggressive pad with the Revive and, if you choose, similarly with the FMP - it should help you go very slowly with your test. :)

Looks like order on its way with the BW and BSG. Shipped Fri AM. Should have waited a day! Now the special for Friday had a bunch of stuff I wouldn't mind having as well as giving me extras of stuff. Looks like it had the Buttery, the Revive and a free BSG! as well as a glass cleaner I would have liked to try. Spent $40 to buy just the Buttery and the BSG already now on the order that has just shipped. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Oh, Doug, that is MR. Lister SIR! If you don't mind. :bow::lol::lol:

Archived