Customer Service 866.965.0400

Anything I can do to fix crack in paint?

sixt9stang

Question

Two days after I got the car somebody door dinged me :(. Didn't dent the car but it did crack the paint. Just wondering some suggestions for fixing the paint. The car is a Panther Black Metallic Pontiac G8 GT. I am thinking that it will have to be sanded and repainted.

IMAG0008.jpg

12 answers to this question

So looking at my paint closer today I found a couple of other things on the back pillars. I wonder what else I will find when we actually have nice enough weather for me to wash the car. Anyways I took a pic of each side. I am wondering if the rear of the car was painted and not blended very good. It is kind of hard to see but you can see a line where the paint changes.

<iframe title ="Preview" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" style="width:320px;height:240px;padding:0;background-color:#fcfcfc;" src="http://cid-a29efb47d512767d.skydrive.live.com/embedphoto.aspx/.Public/G8/IMG^_1227.JPG"></iframe>

<iframe title ="Preview" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" frameborder="0" style="width:320px;height:240px;padding:0;background-color:#fcfcfc;" src="http://cid-a29efb47d512767d.skydrive.live.com/embedphoto.aspx/.Public/G8/IMG^_1228.JPG"></iframe>

That sucks! I feel your pain. I just got a new car last week, and someone left their shopping cart out to smash into my bumper. Looks similar to your damage. Luckily, the dealer was already going to repair some paint chips, so they had their paint guy fix that as well. Looks like it never happened.

the pillars look like they can be fixed with a PC. but the door ding is inevitably gonna require paint!

had the same thing happen to my camaro a couple months after having it, except a lawnmower scraped mine!!!!! i reported them to INS and no one on our street has seen them since.

So I brought it into a shop this morning that has fixed other things for me to get an estimate. Looking at the car more closely we are pretty sure that it was hit in the rearend pretty good. Which also explains why the "GT" symbol is not on the trunklid. It was most likely replaced with a base model G8 trunklid. That doesn't bother me much though as I plan on taking the badges off anyways. What does bother me is that the quote to fix the side with the crack in the paint plus do the paintless dent removal on a door ding would be $800 some bucks and to paint both sides would be over $1000. It is ridiculous how much labor they charge for some of the stuff such as removing the tail lights. I don't know what I am going to do with it yet. All I know is that I need to get access to a paint booth.

So I brought it into a shop this morning that has fixed other things for me to get an estimate. Looking at the car more closely we are pretty sure that it was hit in the rearend pretty good. Which also explains why the "GT" symbol is not on the trunklid. It was most likely replaced with a base model G8 trunklid. That doesn't bother me much though as I plan on taking the badges off anyways. What does bother me is that the quote to fix the side with the crack in the paint plus do the paintless dent removal on a door ding would be $800 some bucks and to paint both sides would be over $1000. It is ridiculous how much labor they charge for some of the stuff such as removing the tail lights. I don't know what I am going to do with it yet. All I know is that I need to get access to a paint booth.

You can strip it down as well before bringing it over. It'd save you some money... That really sucks! Is that filler that's cracked on the fender then?

Chris

You can strip it down as well before bringing it over. It'd save you some money... That really sucks! Is that filler that's cracked on the fender then?

Chris

I thought about asking them if I could do stuff like that to save money. If there is filler there it is very thin.

yea i always strip things i can remove myself if i need paint repair!

got a scratch awhile back on my fender. they said they would have had to remove the front bumper which was 1 hour labor... saved myself $50 and removed/installed it in 15 minutes each time!

Estimate wise that depends on the quality of the shop and what they are going to do for that money. We just had our car fixed not long since. Damage was to the rear bumper skin, a tiny quarter sized scrape/dent in the boot lid bottom and exhaust was bent up (car that hit our bumper was low enough on the front that they slid under). Estimate to fix was $2700.

Going through the estimate the shop was going to replace the bumper cover, fix the boot lid and put all new emblems on, replace the muffler AND THEN they had noticed some very slight waves in the edge of the quarter panel where the bumper bolted on. When the bumper cover broke loose (as cars are designed to now) it pulled the metal there a bit. You could not tell unless you looked at just the right angle and rubbed your hand over. Anyway, long story getting longer, to fix the quarter panel and then do a proper repaint they pulled the back glass out of the car so that they could paint on around into the channel so there was no paint seam.

We were not paying for it so we popped the car in and had it done. When we got it back the copy of the bill ended up being just under $4000. In order to get the pearl paint to match and blend they had ended up also painting both doors on the passenger side as well.

Now that is some money!

Even with using a Lexus/Toyota certified shop, the work and paint are great, but their finish detail guy that prep'd the car before we picked it up needs work. After following their directions on how to wash the car later on during the cure period, I got everything clean, dried and then could see where he used a rotary buffer to polish everything after they did the work. Back end of the car has holograms all over. I'd take it back, but DON'T trust the detail chap :loser: now anyway after seeing that, so that is why I've go the Adams stuff and PC here ready to fix it myself!

Sorry about the cracked paint. We had some lazy persons shopping cart blow into the front of our Austin Mini. Nice chip in the paint! :mad:

Best of luck with it. I guess, as long as it is a good shop, look on the bright side, you might get a better job and paintwork on the back than it has now. Sounds like perhaps the previous repair was done at a knock down place or perhaps by a used car dealer who bought the car damaged at auction. Swapped the boot lid and then got one of those mobile chaps that tour the car lots, to do a quick paint right there at the dealer lot.

Saw one of the mobile painters once. Did not even move the car out of the space on the car lot display. DA'd the panel, taped it off and sprayed it right there on the front line.:willy:

Archived