Customer Service 866.965.0400

Poll

KrisPKreme

What should I do about my tree rat problem?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do about my tree rat problem?

• Replace the Jeep parts and move on.
    • Dress wife in a corn suit and lock her in the backyard. Watch through window and see what happens.
    • This option will eventually involve the Florida Dept of Corrections.

Question

Ok, I have some options and need some feedback. Let me explain the situation. My wife, being a charitable person, decided that she wanted to feed the squirrels in our yard. Against my better judgement I agreed. She put some corn in the bird feeders and the squirrels lined up like a bunch of senior citizens at a Vegas buffet. This went on for a week or two and then I saw the damage. My 2007 Jeep Wrangler was being eaten by these stupid tree rats (squirrels). They chewed the hood latches down to nothing. Running boards, door handles, mirrors...anything plastic is gnarled up! So here are the poll questions:

Option 1: Replace the Jeep parts and move on.

Upside: Jeep looks better.

Downside: Less money to by Adams stuff with.

Option 2: Dress wife in a corn suit and lock her in the backyard. Watch through window and see what happens.

Upside: Unprecedented comedic value.

Downside: None that I can think of.

Option 3: This option will eventually involve the Florida Dept of Corrections.

Upside: 3 meals a day.

Downside: Group showers.

I thought option 1 was going to be "Replace the wife and move one". :)

I'm surprised you have that many squirrels - the things are very territorial so if you setup a feeder for them, you generally get one family (let's call them the Sopranos) that setup in the tree and you never see more than 2 or 3 after that around your space.

Sorry about your damage man.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

This is hilarious.

There's almost no defeating squirrels. I read that cayenne pepper in the birdseed mix will stop them...nope...and I made the mistake of trying to mix this super hot mix on a gusty day...cayenne pepper in the eyes makes for a bad day. AND the stupid lil critters started showing up with lil sombreros on.

REALLY sorry about the Jeep...I would totally :explode:

Corn suit is my vote as well. :2thumbs:

A buddy of mine use a nice pellet gun, quite and effective, that's for the tree rats, not wife:jester:

That's what I have too. My wife loves the birds, 2 bird feeders, but when the squirrels get into them SHE gets out the pellet gun and blows them away. Especially the chipmunks! She's a pretty good shot and seldom misses. But right now we have a gray squirrel the size of our cat that is just too smart for her. She's really gunning for it.

By the way, I voted for the wife in the corn suit. :banana:

I have this little Miniature Pinscher aka MinPin and she takes good care of keeping other animals out of the yard. You could just use those tree rats as target shooting practice.

If you are out in the burbs, maybe the pellet gun is a good idea. If in the country, get a 410 shotgun.

Tree rats is a good description. We used to have these little buggers when I lived in Bama. If you have skill, wrist rockets and ball bearings are nice and silent.

Worst case, get traps and bait, trap em, then take them for a little ride...

I think I have my weekend plans made now Ray. Sounds like a great game. Is it okay to involve some really good scotch?

On a side note. Look at the pic of the door handle. There is no place for the rat to sit and chew the thing. It's a good 3 feet off the ground. That means it had to hang on the handle by it's smelly little feet and chew on it. Wierd. Now, if I happen to see a 3 foot tall squirrel then I am done. I will lock myself in my house, curl up in the fetal position and sob uncontrollably cause 3 foot squirrels aint right.

I did just call my tree guy and he is taking down some oaks today for me. I have an acre lot filled with trees. I am hoping that taking away their condos will help.

:xfingers: Good luck! :xfingers:

I think I have my weekend plans made now Ray. Sounds like a great game. Is it okay to involve some really good scotch?

On a side note. Look at the pic of the door handle. There is no place for the rat to sit and chew the thing. It's a good 3 feet off the ground. That means it had to hang on the handle by it's smelly little feet and chew on it. Wierd. Now, if I happen to see a 3 foot tall squirrel then I am done. I will lock myself in my house, curl up in the fetal position and sob uncontrollably cause 3 foot squirrels aint right.

I did just call my tree guy and he is taking down some oaks today for me. I have an acre lot filled with trees. I am hoping that taking away their condos will help.

I am a fan of the corn suit. Remember each squirrel you hit with your car is two points, opossums are four, raccoons are five, and skunks are 20. We made skunks so high because we figured no body would really want to hit a skunk. Unless it was a high point value. Get a bunch of friends together and see who can rack up the most points in a month.

I did try coating it with some pepper spray from the ole gun belt. It didnt last very long and it really sucked when you forgot it was on there and you rubbed your eye after opening the door. Maybe Adam can invent some sort of coating product. Adams Squirrel Away or Critter Be Gone.

KrispyKritter' date='

If you didn't have damage done to your Jeep this whole Thread would be hilarious. :lol:

Squirrels can be very damaging. Thats [i']nuts [/i]they decided to chew on your ride. They do make good speed bumps though.

squirrels.gif

I know!! How could those little fuzzy creatures be so mischiveous? I went as far as fencing off my yard at great expense. I thought my dogs would keep them away. NOT! The squirrels figured out that my ****er spaniels are too short to get over the fence. I actually saw a squirrel yesterday sitting atop the fence mocking my dogs. I used to feel bad if I ran one over in the car...now its become a fun little game for me.

Archived