Customer Service 866.965.0400

best application pattern for buttery wax by hand?

2K10SS4ME

Question

Not sure if it matters or not, but I was wondering if there is a "better" pattern to use when applying buttery wax by hand? I've read to put and X or an O on the hex applicator but I have been able to find the best pattern to apply the wax. Should I:

1. apply in circular motion
  2. apply in a back and forth motion, in one direction only
  3. apply in a back and forth motion, in both directions (up/down and back/forth)

Am I over analyzing this or is there a really a better way to do things?

No Sir... I ran out... :(

Can I get a moment of silence..................

I am sorry for your loss! :lol:

If you were closer I would give you a slurp out my gallon. The DS daily special was last Wednesday, but order a gallon soon for the pre-launch discount.

Just got done detailing my car today... did a little hand polishing and finished with the buttery wax by hand...

following the instructions on the bottle of buttery wax, I applied the wax to the entire car then buffed it....

I noticed that there were some spots of dark "smudges" that required some pretty good pressure to buff out. Is this normal? or am I not quite doing it right?

This is the best pic I could get of it....

Some people will tell you only to work in straight lines, its really not necessary since you're waxing a clean surface theres no potential for scratches or swirls.

I prefer circular for the mostpart as it gets the application as even as possible which is the most important part... by working in lines you get highs and lows in the coating.

I just go back and forth, simply making certain that I don't miss anything. On small panels that I can cover relatively quickly, (see my front fenders in my sig) I wax one, wax the other, then buff them off in that order as well. On bigger places like my hood or rear quarters, I just coat that whole surface, grab a sip of water from inside or sit on my wash bucket and sip on some bottled water, then wipe it off after a bit.

Pretty sure anyone's technique works just fine!

:iagree:

I use circles, your good, as long as both applicator and surface are clean.

Bingo... unless you have something on your pad, or on your paint that is a potential swirl causer it won't matter what direction you go in.

If you think about DA application of MSW... the PC certainly isn't moving 'back and forth' now is it?

If you're working outside, or on a lightly breezy day... maybe best to do straight line, but in a controlled/clean environment it doesn't matter IMO.

With Americana specifically I get a much more even, uniform, and easy to buff off coat if I go circular versus straight line.

I've always gone in circles. Here's my reason: I find that I get better overall coverage with slightly overlapping circles. In straight lines, I don't seem to get that. Then I buff in straight lines.

As far as "introducing swirls"...that will be an unfortunate byproduct of some type of contamination on the applicator or on the surface, regardless of the motion of your application.

Think of wax as a coating like paint. It's not doing any good going in circles unless it's a cleaner wax. Straight lines is all you need, plus there's less of a chance of putting swirls in the paint. I try to go straight from the start of a body panel to the end of the body panel. Sometimes that's not possible of course.

Chris

Mr Miyagi says you should do the following...

Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important. :D

karate-kid-1984-screenshot-495x.png

I go back and fourth. I have seen pics of Dylan going in circles though. I do not think it matters as long as everything you are using is clean.

:iagree:

I use circles, your good, as long as both applicator and surface are clean.

Archived