Customer Service 866.965.0400

First Polish w/pics, need help with "holograms"

ShawnJ

Question

Hi all,

I've been working over the past week or so on my wife's minivan. I decided to do hers first to get the hang of working with the new items I just received. For the most part, the minivan hasn't looked this good in the 6 years we have owned it. There are still some hologram looking items when seen in the bright sunlight (surprisingly, my halogens do not show it well) and I'm pretty sure it is my technique that has caused those. I'm looking for some advice on what I can do to fix those. I thought I had followed Junkman's videos exactly, but I'm certain something wasn't correct (moving too fast, too much product, etc, etc, etc).

Here are some picts which try and show the problem and the minivan in all it's glory :)

First, I had a supervisor:

web.jpg?ver=12734355000001

Some of the before/after pictures:

Hood Before:

web.jpg?ver=12734360350001

Hood After (flash test):

Mirror Before:

web.jpg?ver=12734353610001

Mirror After:

web.jpg?ver=12734354770001

Front Door Before:

web.jpg?ver=12734353900001

web.jpg?ver=12734354090001

web.jpg?ver=12734354290001

Front Door After:

web.jpg?ver=12734360580001

Full Van (Just polished and no wax)

web.jpg?ver=12734356290001

Now, my issues: (white things that look like cloud wisps are the holograms)

(also, please excuse the dust, I cleaned it less than 15 minutes before the picts)

web.jpg?ver=12734356460001

web.jpg?ver=12734355320001

web.jpg?ver=12734355420001

I've thought it might be left over polish residue, but I cannot get it off no matter what I use (DS/MF, wash, etc).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn

12 answers to this question

Set the PC to 5, put the white pad on, spritz of DS, 3-4 peas of FMP and do an area 2x2 and see if you can get perfection... Remember less product is more.

Good luck,

Chris

If I'm not mistaken, aren't holograms caused when you don't remove all of the polish fully before waxing? If that's the case, the only way to probably remove the holograms is to wash the car with dawn, then redo FMP and wax?

Thanks for all the replies so far. Here are some answers to the questions.

Looks much better! How much pressure was you using? Watch again maybe you can pick up something you might have missed.Detailing Videos It take time and practice.:thumbsup:

I'm using enough pressure to hear a change in the engine, but still keep the pad rotating.

Set the PC to 5, put the white pad on, spritz of DS, 3-4 peas of FMP and do an area 2x2 and see if you can get perfection... Remember less product is more.

I plan on trying again on a smaller area, wanted to get some pointers first to see if I could find where I messed up.

The supervisor probably made you nervous! Kinda like AJ looking over your shoulder, only not as scary lookin...

Yeah, but I'm used to the supervisor....not sure what I'd do with AJ looking over my shoulder :pc:

If I'm not mistaken, aren't holograms caused when you don't remove all of the polish fully before waxing? If that's the case, the only way to probably remove the holograms is to wash the car with dawn, then redo FMP and wax?

That would explain the first picture (hood with holos), but the other panels haven't had wax yet and these are still showing up.

Thanks for all the responses so far. I'll plan on trying a 2x2 area tomorrow, but am still looking for things to change/try differently.

Shawn

FMP and a white pad should have no problems removing holograms. Make sure your not moving the PC too fast and your surface and pad are 100% clean. I have never induced any holograms with a PC/WhitePad/FMP combo, set to 5opm. I always use this combo to remove holograms.

Hi Shawn, don't let the pad spin. White Pad, FMP, apply a mist of DS to the pad, go slower, apply a bit more pressure, and set the machine to 5, and then bump it to 6.

Holograms should disappear!

Actually, this is a common problem that I have seen with folks who are new to machine polishing.

What will happen is people will miss some of the polish when wiping it off. They will then move to the next polish and after a couple of passes with each, streaking begins to happen and the streak will look just like holograms. To keep this from happening, I tell people to always wipe the panel that you are working on, down with Detail Spray BEFORE moving to the next product on that panel. This will eliminate the possibility of missed product building up and causing those hologram looking streaks.

Actually, this is a common problem that I have seen with folks who are new to machine polishing.

What will happen is people will miss some of the polish when wiping it off. They will then move to the next polish and after a couple of passes with each, streaking begins to happen and the streak will look just like holograms. To keep this from happening, I tell people to always wipe the panel that you are working on, down with Detail Spray BEFORE moving to the next product on that panel. This will eliminate the possibility of missed product building up and causing those hologram looking streaks.

Hmm... I think your nuts AJ... :explode:

hehehe... AJ knows last week I about cried when I saw my car had what looked exactly what you have. Only thing is I hadn't washed it or waxed it yet. I used DS to prime my pad and wiped off using a polishing towel every time I was finished with a process but the DS and any oils in the compounds stuck around. I ended up using WW to get rid of the oils. I also washed my car before applying MSW.

Chris

I gave it another shot tonight on the hood and one front fender. They both looked good under the halogens, but I hope to have a bit of sun tomorrow to better judge them.

If I had to pick one thing that may have caused it, I would say I failed to break the polish down completely. I could tell a difference after the polish tonight because there was no film after wiping the areas down.

Thanks for all the suggestions,

Shawn

Archived