Customer Service 866.965.0400

shelf life

xlr8rvette

Question

14 answers to this question

Not to get too far off track, but the worst day we had in our 2004 deployment to the Gulf was 60C with the humidity. There is just no describing how hot that is. Only allowed on the upper decks for 15 minutes at a time.

Here what Adam said!

You guys are great! So, the official temperature range to keep products from separating, or changing color:

Minimum: 45 degrees

Maximum: 85 degrees

Chemicals hate temperature change, and the more often the temp changes, the faster the products will spoil.

We heat the products to get the color to remain consistent, as well as getting the surfactants to work, which keeps the products from separating. By heating the products to that temperature again, about 95+ degrees, they reverse, separate, or change color.

Keeping product in the trunk over summer is a great way for things to get ugly, unless stored in a bag or sealed bucket out of the sunlight.

If possible, it's best to put your car care products in the wash room in the winter and summer, if your garage reaches temperatures outside of the range above.

My advice: Buy car care products just like you buy bread!

Buy it fresh, and often. Chemicals age at 10X dog years! :willy: So, a bottle of polish or wax that is a year old, is really 70.

Don't buy more product than you will use in a year, as the possibility of extreme temperature change is always there. (Unless you live on the beach in San Diego.)

Another thing to consider: We improve 50% of our line every year, and 100% of it within 2 years. Do you want the old news?

Technology never stops, and today's, "BEST," is only the best for a few minutes, before something better is developed.

Plan on using everything up by the end of the year, and get fresh goods in February-March, as we almost always take the winter to develop new products.

So, that's my $.02 on keeping car care products! :patriot:

Looks like its time for me to refresh.

May want to consider the option of selling 6 ounce dispensers instead of 12 ounce...reduce price 25%. Adams makes 25% more profit and the customer saves 25% and is not faced with wasting unused product by having to dispose of it after a year.

Or reduce volume 25% to 8 ounces and cost by 15%,etc. Hate the idea of throwing out Adams products due to longevity.

May want to consider the option of selling 6 ounce dispensers instead of 12 ounce...reduce price 25%. Adams makes 25% more profit and the customer saves 25% and is not faced with wasting unused product by having to dispose of it after a year.

Or reduce volume 25% to 8 ounces and cost by 15%,etc. Hate the idea of throwing out Adams products due to longevity.

True....or just detail more often :D

I'd love to see a 6oz option on most products. For example, SMW, I'll never use a 12oz supply in a year and if it goes bad I'm out alot of money. The same for the other polishes and waxes. Now the cleaners and dressings I tend to go through pretty fast.

This would be the first time someone said we gave them too much product LOL. Honestly, I've got some SHR thats about 2.5 years old, still works fine, same with some FMP and MSW that I recently found at the back of my cabinet during the move. I keep mine from going beyond the suggested temp ranges and they are good to go... so don't just throw things out after a year, use some judgement, shake them up, see if they're still good.

On the flip side I had some buttery that I didn't use b/c of the arrival of Americana and it was dead a tad over a year. Had I used it at the rate I typically do then it would've been used up before it failed, but oh well.

Way back when we used to bottle in 12oz sizes, but then the complaint was it was barely enough... so reduced size or increased size, theres no way to keep everyone happy. We have people who ask to buy some polish/wax products in gallons... everyone is going to have their own rates of use and need. Store and care for your products appropriately, gauge their usefulness, and don't treat the one year period as a hard "use by" deadline.

I've kept my kit in 3 very large Rubbermaid containers in MY walk in closet of off of our master bedroom for years. (My wife thinks I have an obsession...and no, you can't talk about her shoes.) I do however have an "emergency" kit in my trunk which has 1 oz eyeglass cleaner bottles full of the Adam's Sampler Pack, several MF towels and a 12 oz bottle of ONR detail spray for the inevitable bird bomb.

Archived