Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cloudy black paint...

iiiJEFFiii

Question

Certain areas of my car always seem to develop a "cloudy" look in my black paint. I'd take pictures but I doubt it'll show up right. I use Adam's religiously and try hard to follow the instructions as best as I can, but I'll still end up with the clouds after a short while. Does it sound like something that can be polished out? Does anybody else with black paint ever see this? I usually see it mostly on my hood and trunk area. (and no, it's not a reflection of the clouds in the sky as one of my friends suggested):rolleyes:

15 answers to this question

Most time I would think this is the result of too much polish / wax, etc. buildup. Sun hits the hood / trunk, gets hot and cloudy spots show up.

Dark colors show this effect more than light colors.

I would suggest to make sure you are starting with a clean surface. Clay bar and maybe grease & wax remover.

Remember, with a clean surface you will use very little product. Fine Machine polish for example.

Then, if you do Machine Super Wax, remember it has to cure. Americana wax just nees a very thin coat. Then if you maintain it with Detail Spray that can eventually create some buildup.

So, get the surface clean, a light polishing, a light coat of wax, and light misting of DS. And, wash with Adams soap.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Do you have a lot of coats of Americana or Buttery on it?

Using DS too much will also do this.

You'll want to DAWN it well, clay and start over...

Chris

I've seen this (or something similar) happen on my navy blue Vette after using too much SHR. Go over it a few times with FMP and it should correct itself.

Interesting...do you find that this happens even if you buff off all of the SHR before going to the FMP step?

I assume that wiping the polish off with a microfiber means that you are actually getting it ALL OFF? Is that true, since its not a wax product?

I agree. Sounds like you might have a build up of something.

Have you developed a case of O.W.S.? (obsessive waxing syndrome) LOL

There is such thing as too much product, over use of Detail Spray without going to full hose bucket washes is an example, and the reason waterless wash was developed.

More than a few coats of Americana will cause this as well... there comes a point when 'just one more coat' becomes a negative and will actually start to have counter productive effects.

Believe I may have the same circumstance. One (or more) too many coats of stuff on the Vette. What are the ways to remove the wax / polish? Have heard clay, dawn and/or both. Also any advice on doing this and is it obvious when the wax is successfully off?..............couldn't find video?

Thank you

Believe I may have the same circumstance. One (or more) too many coats of stuff on the Vette. What are the ways to remove the wax / polish? Have heard clay, dawn and/or both. Also any advice on doing this and is it obvious when the wax is successfully off?..............couldn't find video?

Thank you

Dawn and clay and it should all be off... SHR and FMP and I'll guarantee it'll be off! :thumbsup:

Do you have a lot of coats of Americana or Buttery on it?

Using DS too much will also do this.

You'll want to DAWN it well, clay and start over...

Chris

Have to agree with Chris on this one. I've had it happen myself. Only solution I've found is start over from scratch. :2thumbs:

After I've "dawn-ed" the car, is there any way to know for sure that I've gotten everything off and I'm starting with a completely clean surface? What ratio of dawn:water do you guys recommend?

:iagree:Good question

After I've "dawn-ed" the car, is there any way to know for sure that I've gotten everything off and I'm starting with a completely clean surface? What ratio of dawn:water do you guys recommend?

Dawn is gonna strip everything...don't you worry about that...AND if you clay after the dawn wash, there will be nothing on the surface. :thumbsup:

Easiest way would be to note the water beading before and after...if there is no water beading, you can be confident that there is nothing left of the surface.

I use the same if not more than I use of Adams Car Shampoo...

I even use it in my foamer before washing... :thumbsup:

Chris

Archived