Customer Service 866.965.0400

Hello from NJ!

sparg93

Last year I purchased a '99 Tahoe and since buying it, i've decided to start modifying it. With all the $$ going into the truck, it's now even more painful to look at how horrible the paint looks.

Typical SUV story - it's been well taken care of, but for wash/wax, the local car wash seemed to be the place the previous owner took it.

I've watched the videos online and they're great. I did pick up a porter cable, so I'm armed and ready, now it's just time to buy all the polishes/waxes etc.

For a SUV in the condition I'm describing, where's a good starting point for the paint???

First, Welcome to AF :rockon:

Second, the best thing you can do for your paint is to watch ALL of the video's available on this forum before you ever go near it with the PC. Your paint will love you for it :hi:

http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-videos.aspx

You also have The Junkmans video's. There is more than one way to polish your paint. Adam and AJ use different techniques to get to the same destination. Watch them all and write down questions, we are all here to answer those questions for you :2thumbs:

Great - thank you!

I just watched over an hour of videos...Adam & Dylan working on that black Z06...amazing and incredibly informative!!

Having this site and the videos is truly amazing...can't wait to get more involved around here :)

yup - black and the 4dr model...6700lbs of needed attention :)

The Super Sealant and the grey pad...should I only use that when I get the scratches out??

Also, when would i use the Fine Machine Polish?

Thanks!

I'm in Woodbridge with my daughter in Freehold, I was just there on Sunday. I lived in Freehold for almost 20 years...

As for what when:

1) Rinse (firehose nozzle, pressure washer.. etc) to get "big dirt off"

(insert branch of here for wheels and tires, wheel wells)

2) Foam (lifts dirt off paint)

3) Two bucket wash (two mitts/pads, one for top of truck (paint) one for lower half (paint)

4) Rinse

5) Sheet dry

6) Blow dry (leaf blower (electric), compressed air, Metrovac..etc)

7) Towel dry as needed (use DS)

(insert branch for engine bay detail here)

8) Baggie test (for clay)

9) Clay as needed, lots of DS or WW as lubricant

10) rinse off...

11) Examine paint...

11 a) If heavier swirls SSR with Green pad, then b

11 B) If lighter swirls SHR with Orange pad, then c

11 c) If washing swirls FMP

12) Possible branches are MSS (as sealant/LSP) or

12 a) MSS then BG then Americana (as LSP/final wax)

wow small world!

I was just in woodbridge getting a custom tune for my Tahoe.

Daniel, I will definitely take you up on that offer b/c my mind is racing with ideas and what I can hopefully make this car look like.

As a side note - the burgundy mustang in the reflection of the Tahoe. Unfortunately the clear coat is gone and when I wax it, paint is rubbing off on my towels. Any recommendations for how I can fix this?

wow small world!

I was just in woodbridge getting a custom tune for my Tahoe.

Daniel, I will definitely take you up on that offer b/c my mind is racing with ideas and what I can hopefully make this car look like.

As a side note - the burgundy mustang in the reflection of the Tahoe. Unfortunately the clear coat is gone and when I wax it, paint is rubbing off on my towels. Any recommendations for how I can fix this?

Basically you have to repaint your car lol I dont think you can just reclear because the basecoat is now oxidized and such. Yeah Im off on the weekends and on wednesdays I work 4 10s so whenever you want to come over and check stuff out let me know. :pc::thumbsup:

Yup -that's what i was thinking to with the repaint.

Great, i'll reach out to you when I have a free weekend and would love to stop by. This weekend i'm converting my vacuum brakes to hyrdo boost...it's going to be a long two days with bruised knuckles.

wow - bunch of jersey folks on here!

I'm in Freehold (Monmouth County), but work in Manhattan so I'm always up & down the Turnpike and Parkway.

Dirty Jersey rocks with Adams. I'm in Freehold often and would be glad to lend you a hand and some advice if you need it.

:cheers:

Peter, that would be great.

Beautiful Mustang!

I'll probably start the exterior detailing the third wkd in July. If you are around this weekend I'd love to hear your opinion and thoughts and show you the two vehicles I'm working on.

Peter, that would be great.

Beautiful Mustang!

I'll probably start the exterior detailing the third wkd in July. If you are around this weekend I'd love to hear your opinion and thoughts and show you the two vehicles I'm working on.

Sent you a pm...

Archived