Customer Service 866.965.0400

Dust magnet or so clean I notice more?????

pwrjnky

Question

After I polished my truck it's almost as if I charged the paint. I park in a garage at night. I've been using my waterless wash at night to clean up the truck, then follow with the detail spray. I wake up and the truck looks like I drove down a dusty road. anybody else get static after running a polisher? How do I de-static my paint so it doesn't attract so much dust? Is this common? Thanks in advance.:help:

Here are a couple pictures I took today.

From left to right, the first quarter is the control with no paint protection, the next quarter is a sealant, the third quarter is a sealant based All-in-one, and on the last quarter is a wax. They all attract dust about equally, but I have not washed my vehicle since applying the LSP's [on Sunday], so after a wash tonight I will see if they still have the same dust-attracting properties.

IMG_8692.jpg

IMG_8691.jpg

IMG_8696.jpg

Here are a couple pictures I took today.

From left to right, the first quarter is the control with no paint protection, the next quarter is a sealant, the third quarter is a sealant based All-in-one, and on the last quarter is a wax. They all attract dust about equally, but I have not washed my vehicle since applying the LSP's [on Sunday], so after a wash tonight I will see if they still have the same dust-attracting properties.

IMG_8692.jpg

IMG_8691.jpg

IMG_8696.jpg

Excellent experiment. :2thumbs: Can't wait for the final results. :xfingers:

The water pushing the dirt off won't create the swirls. The swirls would be created by your drying the car if the car and towel are NOT perfectly clean. I wouldn't think that a rinse would be enough, at least it isn't enough here in Florida with the pollen season we went through a couple months back. It is a bother, a scourge of our detailing obsessiveness, but I do a full wash to remove the pollen. I've tried using the waterless wash for this purpose and can sometimes get away with it, IF the pollen is light enough, but at the peak of the pollen season, it is a 2 bucket wash for me.

:cheers:

With the wife's black Mercedes, I Pray she keeps thinking about trading it in for a Tan or cream colored one, as she's been talking about. Every morning before I do whatever it is I have planned for the day, a WW is a must for this car. Even my CA duster is now just hanging on the wall, doing nothing.

However with the WW, no matter how softly I attempt to remove the dust/pollen, I'm putting very minute spider webbing all over the car. Doing a 2 bucket wash - Gesh, I'll then be forced to roll out of bed a lot earlier than I normally get up. :(

Basically it's a no win situation. After I clean it for her each morning, regardless if she keeps it in the garage that day, by late evening it's ready for another cleaning. And if she drives it into town - just double the amount of crud that gets on it. :mad:

I used to have a hand held dust mop to take care of that. Suprised I don't see anything like that here at adams. A leaf blower seems kinda harsh to just knock dust off...

RP

I used to have a hand held dust mop to take care of that. Suprised I don't see anything like that here at adams. A leaf blower seems kinda harsh to just knock dust off...

RP

Are you referring to the california duster?

These dusters can easily create scratches and swirls. Personally I have never used one on my cars. Many here have used them, many have thrown them away after seeing the damage they created and others love them.

One of those items that definitely is controversial and probably needs the exact proper touch or else .... :(

Are you referring to the california duster?

These dusters can easily create scratches and swirls. Personally I have never used one on my cars. Many here have used them, many have thrown them away after seeing the damage they created and others love them.

One of those items that definitely is controversial and probably needs the exact proper touch or else .... :(

I have not thrown away the California Duster...and follow the method explained by TheJunkman. I have tried it and have had success with it so far. If there is a lot of dirt on it I won't use it... But just light dust say from overnight etc. I can lightly remove the thin film of dirt and then use the detail spray.

I do understand the cleaning properties of the waterless wash...however if you have to follow it up with detail spray anyway...for the money I will just use he detail spray. I don't have the GWT and am hesitant to use anything to wipe on the paint now.

I think blowing the dirt off will only remove a minute amount of it without a liquid to lift the dirt or dust off IMO.

I have not thrown away the California Duster...and follow the method explained by TheJunkman. I have tried it and have had success with it so far. If there is a lot of dirt on it I won't use it... But just light dust say from overnight etc. I can lightly remove the thin film of dirt and then use the detail spray.

I do understand the cleaning properties of the waterless wash...however if you have to follow it up with detail spray anyway...for the money I will just use he detail spray. I don't have the GWT and am hesitant to use anything to wipe on the paint now.

I think blowing the dirt off will only remove a minute amount of it without a liquid to lift the dirt or dust off IMO.

Rob: If you need a couple of GWT's, I have a ton of them. Just email me your address and I'll ship them right out to you. No payment, no shipping charges.

RP

:iagree: It took me quite a long time to finally figure out how to perfect the CD - however, I found it to be great for the roof, hood and top of the trunk on the Mercedes. But I couldn't get the strings on it to hang properly while doing the sides. So I then went to using the MB. Strange as this sounds, it did cause, in some areas, to leave very minute blemishes for lack of better words - not swirls or nicks and I had to really look to find them.

Also, during the learning curve, I did manage to swirl portions of the paint but that was due to me pressing down to hard. :willy:

"Then" what I found was the fact that yes, the dust came off but it had to settle someplace else and that place, for the most part was right back on the vehicle.

I suppose the bottom line for me to stop using it was the fact that in order to get the dust completely off the car, you had to figure out if the dust was to heavy. In Oregon we have heavy dust. :lol:

Rob: If you need a couple of GWT's, I have a ton of them. Just email me your address and I'll ship them right out to you. No payment, no shipping charges.

That is very nice of you...how good are they for drying the car? I would be worried about somehow putting scratches in the paint even though the paint is clean. :confused: what is your experience with them?

That is very nice of you...how good are they for drying the car? I would be worried about somehow putting scratches in the paint even though the paint is clean. :confused: what is your experience with them?

About a year ago - give or take - I had a problem with them. No matter how I washed them, they were very rough feeling and left some swirls on the wife's car. However I think I may have been pressing down to hard while using them. Plus I boiled them in hot water.

I still use them from time to time with no problem. I'm now into the MB which I find to be a lot faster.

If you would want them, you can try a test area and see what you think. If you don't like the job they do, their good for many other areas to "clean."

I got my first GWT a short while ago, it does look kinda rough at first but is actually pretty soft; not close to the double soft, but still soft. It also does a great job at drying, definitely worth it. I actually need to get some more to help with drying my truck, but moneys tight right now so hopefully I can get some during a daily special or so.

Overall, I say it's worth it, you won't be disappointed :)

I got my first GWT a short while ago, it does look kinda rough at first but is actually pretty soft; not close to the double soft, but still soft. It also does a great job at drying, definitely worth it. I actually need to get some more to help with drying my truck, but moneys tight right now so hopefully I can get some during a daily special or so.

Overall, I say it's worth it, you won't be disappointed :)

I have two brand new ones, still in the package. Send me your address via an email to me and I'll ship them right out. No charge or shipping fees.

All I would ask of you is if you encounter anybody that needs some kind of assistance and you can help them - Please do. :thumbsup:

Edited by Corners

Bill thank you very much for your kind offer...I think maybe savi01 might benefit from them more than I will. Again thank you for your kind offer :):2thumbs:

About a year ago - give or take - I had a problem with them. No matter how I washed them, they were very rough feeling and left some swirls on the wife's car. However I think I may have been pressing down to hard while using them. Plus I boiled them in hot water.

I still use them from time to time with no problem. I'm now into the MB which I find to be a lot faster.

If you would want them, you can try a test area and see what you think. If you don't like the job they do, their good for many other areas to "clean."

Bill thank you very much for your kind offer...I think maybe savi01 might benefit from them more than I will. Again thank you for your kind offer :):2thumbs:

Well if you ever change your mind, ya know how to reach me. But don't let the thought of the towels causing swirls. Think that was "my" mistake.

Good luck. :rockon:

Bill, you're one stand up guy for everything you do to help others here! I feel I should get you something for Fathers Day! Thank you for being so generous.

In regards to static electricity and preventing it. My buddy Steve is a crusty old body man and does matte paint jobs all the time. His trick is to take a piece of chain and wrap it around the frame so it touches the ground. This helps dissipate the static charge. It works I was a non believer till I did my wives car aee28190-ad08-3a8b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are rinsing off with the hose, this is acceptable, it is much better then using a California Duster. Plus you said you are using Detail Spray to dry, so I see nothing wrong with your method...I have the same dust problem from a lot of truck traffic passing my house loaded with construction materials from a quarry, so I go through quite a bit of Waterless Wash and Detail Spray. Just remember that when you use the WW it wouldn't bring back the shine like Detail Spray...I usually end up doing a quick pass with DS after using the WW.

Bill, you're one stand up guy for everything you do to help others here! I feel I should get you something for Fathers Day! Thank you for being so generous.

:2thumbs: Well thank you so much for those kind words.

Hmmmmmm, something for Father's Day?? Let's see, just got my new diesel and need different wheels/tires, debagged, windows tinted - yea, that should do it. :lol: Appreciate the thought. :)