Customer Service 866.965.0400

Suggestions for sights and activities for a midwest family vacation

paoutdoorsman

We're in the beginning stages of planning a summer family vacation to the mid-west this summer.  Looking for your tips and suggestions.  What to see, what to do, where to fly in/out, etc.  Kids are 13, 15, and 17.  Thought about flying into Denver and trekking out from there.  Some things on the list of possibilities already are Pikes Peak, Grand Canyon, Mt Rushmore, and Yellowstone.  Planning to spend about two weeks.  Thanks!

Your probably going to get a lot of suggestions here.  Maybe get the family together and pick from the many suggestions that you may get on here.  The sights that you choose to see I'am sure will have the greatest impact on where you fly into.  Being from Utah I can make suggestions here.  If you have further questions feel free to ask.  

Grand Canyon I would highly suggest seeing if you have the opportunity.  There are two sides.  A north side and a south side.  The south side is the side I would suggest visiting.  It is like a small city, grocery store and all.  There are places to stay there and could be pricey being that summertime is probably the busy time.  When my brother and I went we stayed a few miles outside of the park.  I don't recall the actual mileage, but if I remember correctly it was about a 15 minute car ride.  The south side is also the most picturesque.  It is the side that you see in so many pictures. 

There are a number of National Parks here in Utah that border Colorado.  There is also a town called Moab where you may want to look into staying that will allow you to hit Arches and Canyonlands if you choose to do so.  Advance reservations to stay anywhere in Moab are highly recommended as stuff fills up.  Dead Horse Point State Park is also close to Moab.  Here is a link on that as well.  

Direct links to other NP in Utah.

Bryce Canyon

Zion 

Capitol Reef

Mesa Verde which is southwest Colorado would be fun to see as well.  Lots of ancient indian ruins.

Four Corners area may be fun to see as well.  It is the only place where you can be in 4 states at once.

A list of various National Parks and Monuments in Utah.

Another thing to look into is if it will be cheaper to buy a pass or pay as you go.  Here is some information on that.  The pass is good to any National Park, and can be purchased at any NP.

The link below is near where my brother and I are going to do our adventure in June.  So much to see and do in the Southern part of Utah.  

http://www.utah.com/escalante/

Plan on it being hot and have plenty of water on hand.  Any further questions feel free to ask.  I will do my best to answer.

I might also add that if you see any of this, please stay off of it.  It takes a long time to grow and walking on it can not only kill what you have walked on, but also larger areas that you may not have touched.  It is very fragile.

post-706-0-61149900-1424054290_thumb.png

http://www.blm.gov/nstc/library/pdf/CrustManual.pdf

http://www.soilcrust.org/crust101.htm

Edited by LFairbanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yellowstone and Rocky Mountain National Parks are two of our favorite places. If your going to do Pikes Peak also try Mt Evans not too far away. Also, an absolute must is visiting Adams. You'll love the tour.