Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cleaning Jeep soft top windows

ragin_cajuns

Question

I recently bought a used Jeep and got rid of the hard top in favor of a Best Top Trektop NX.  From what I had read you have to be careful cleaning the vinyl windows of the soft top as they can scratch easily.  Best Top makes their own window cleaner but I don't want to buy something if I don't need it.  Their cleaner is alcohol free so it won't damage the vinyl windows.  Anyone using Adam's glass cleaner on soft top windows?

3 answers to this question

I make up a small amount of car shampoo in water if I'm just doing the windows. Then I follow it up with Novus 1 and 2. I also have some of the old Adams Clear Polish to finish the job. To do the top itself try Ragg Topp products or 303 Aerospace Protectant. Both do a great job. Super VRT makes the top look great if you are going to show the Jeep but any rain will wash it off and it gets all over the paint. Have fun with your new toy!!

The best product I've ever used to clean plastic convertible windows is Plexus.   Popular with motorcyclists, you can find it at almost any motorcycle dealership.

The most important thing to do is keep them polished so they don't oxidize (get yellow) and minimize scratches.   You can use glass cleaner, even water, with a MF towel to remove surface dirt, but that's only a start.   Protection is the big thing with plastic windows.

Distilled water and a few drops of Johnson's baby shampoo to clean and Plexus to polish. Make sure you clean and polish them before you remove them and roll them to put the top down, that will help keep the scratches to a minimum.

-Jason